DIY Arduboy Issues

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

What is the screen type?

Oh haha my bad it’s a ssd1309 2.42 inch oled.

Are you absolutely certain that it’s an SSD1309?
This looks like the sort of behaviour that would happen if you were using a different screen type.

Does this only occur with Hollow Seeker or does it happen with other games as well?

I am guessing it’s an SSD1305. Have you successfully compiled games yourself for this device? If so what settings did you use??

It’s important to know how you’ve wired the oled and flash chip.

If I’m allowed to make an educated guess I’d say you’ve connected OLED CS to GND and therefore the OLED is always enabled. The OLED and flash chip share the same SPI bus. So whenever the flash chip is accessed the OLED also responds to the flashchip data and causes odd behaviour like display shifts.

If that’s the case then you can add this 2 diode and resistor solution to your DIY Arduboy.

1 Like

Hi thankyou for your replies!!! I will try provide more information to help clarify. This is the schematic I have followed.
Maybe when I burnt the bootloader I chose the wrong wiring setup? (alternate vs standard). If not I could try the diode solution, or anything else that gets suggested! Hope this helps, thanks :))

Hi! so I am going to test the diode and resistor solution. I have burnt the boot loader to my pro micro with settings (STANDARD, Cathy 3k (menu), and Pin2/D1/SDA). And wired my components as per the schematic seen below. Is this correct? Any changes required? Thanks very much !!!

Looks good but you should connect the flash cs also to SDA and not to RX.
The 10K resistor between flash cs and Vcc may be omitted.

1 Like

Hi, so I tried to replicate the above schematic but my OLED wouldn’t turn on. So I removed the diode and resistor solution in an attempt to get the device operational but still experience the minor screen glitching. It still wouldn’t work until I put CS from flash to RX on Arduino. I feel as if I may have selected a wrong setting when burning the bootloader. Should I be using ORIGINAL or OFFICIAL for the flash select? And for the Core, should I select Optimized core? Thanks! Is Cathy 3K starts with menu correct also? Thanks!!

You can try lowering the resistor value from 10K to 1K

That’s right. Without the diode resistor solution you will experience glitching.

You have flashed the wrong bootloader

ORIGINAL refers to using Rx as flash chip select. OFFICIAL for SDA (or Pin 2 / PortD 1)
You should select OFFICIAL option

That setting is irrelevant for burning the bootloader. It only relevant when uploading a sketch. Optimized core is prefered.

It is the Standard. with that option the (homemade) Arduboy will always start with the bootloader (menu) mode and you need to press A/B to start the last programmed sketch.

If you prefer that the last sketch starts automatically you can select the ‘Starts with Game’ option. Starting up with the menu is still possible by pressing Down while turning power on.

1 Like

Okay thanks very helpful information! When you say I have flashed the wrong boot loader, what does that mean? I burnt the boot loader with the below settings and have re tried but still the screen won’t turn on until CS from flash is going to RX on arduino, I feel as if I am missing something
Uploading: 80C4A3B0-8421-4774-A91C-EBE5EAE480B4.jpeg…

That image can’t be viewed. Can you upload it again?

1 Like

Sorry here is the image. Also my connections are as follows.
Oled: CS-GND, DC-4, RES-6, SDA-16, CLK-15, VDD-VCC, GND-GND

Flash: VCC-VCC, CS- RX and 10K to VCC, D0-14, GND-GND, CLK-15, D1-16.

I have been trying combinations of changing the CS of the screen and flash between SDA on arduino and RX on arduino. Haven’t been able to get both the screen on and the flash chip readable at the same time yet.

@Wheezer couldnt help notice your address in the first image you posted. I am in Melbourne too - Blackburn for me.

1 Like

Hahah no way! Small world! Yes sorry for that I selected the wrong image lol

1 Like

If you burned the bootloader with those settings then you’v flashed the correct bootloader and flash CS must be connected to SDA not RX otherwise the flash chip won’t work.

You do need the 2 diodes and resistor when using the flash chip. Did you wire the diodes in the correct direction?

If wired on a breadboard try different holes and / or wire. Some breadboards have unreliable connections and check the wiring again.

If you don’t get a picture you can also try uploading a sketch / hexfile and see if you get a picture on the OLED then.

BTW I also noticed from your Arduino IDE picture that you use an older version of the homemade package. I recommend you update it as well.

Edit:

Did you also try lowering the 10K resistor at the diodes to 1K as mentioned before?

1 Like

Okay so tried again without the diode, was able to upload a hex file fine. I am now confident I have setup the software correctly (boot loader settings etc.) and now just the hardware. Tried to setup the diodes as follows in the below schematic and screen not powering up, is this the correct setup. Thanks very much !

Yes that’s how it should be wired up. Can you take a picture of your actual setup with diodes and resistor ? maybe that will help in troubleshooting.

Edit

Also could you take a picture of your OLED display PCB side?

Being a self-proclaimed Arduboy screw upper I can suggest a few actions that I’ve done in the past:

1. Ensure you only have the Homemade Arduboy Board installed, it comes with all the libraries for Aduboy2 and installing the Arduboy2 library AND homemade board can cause issues
  2. Your mention of burning the bootloader seems to be confusing, you’re programming your pro micro with an .ino file (or hex), whereas burning the boot loader requires a separate board and is used to reconfigure the physical board.

The schematic diagram image you uploaded is a bit hard to read, so I suspect it might have been found online, here is a better image that I’ve found on the Arduboy website to help a lot for repeated setup on breadboards:
WiringSchematic

1 Like