Do I have an alternately wired Sparkfun Pro Micro?

On MrBlinky’s GitHub page for the homemade Arduboy, there are different sets of pinouts, including two for the Sparkfun version of the 5v/16mhz Pro Micro. My question is - how do I tell if I have the standard wiring or the alternate wiring?

Apologies of this has been asked before or covered on a different page - if it has been, I was unable to find it. Thank you all for this helpful community!

1 Like

The “alternative wiring” is how you wire the Pro Micro to the other parts (display, speaker, RGB LED, etc.), not how the Pro Micro itself is wired. The Pro Micro and clones all have the same pinout, as far as I know.

2 Likes

Aaahhhhh ok. That makes sense then why I couldn’t find any reference of the term “alternate wiring” except through homemade arduboy pages. Thanks so much!

1 Like

Well, it doesn’t help that @Mr.Blinky has incorrectly used alternate instead of alternative.

Alternate means to switch back and forth.
Alternative means a different choice.

Unless you’re American, apparently

1. (US) Other; alternative.
    Hyperlinked text is displayed in alternate color in a Web browser.
3 Likes

Surely I took an alternate route to get here means I had a choice not that I or the route switched back and forth?

Only if that route is in the US :wink: . Now, shall we start arguing if it’s pronounced rOOt or rOWt? :confused: (I use rOOt for travel over roads and rOWt for travel over the Internet.)

Over here it’s quite simple.

All native Britons pronounce it as ‘root’ (/ɹuːt/), regardless of dialect.
(Even when discussing networking, as demonstrated by the Computerphile video about Onion Routing.)

Pronouncing it the other way is a very good way to be met with disapproving glances. :P

2 Likes

In Oz, we say ‘root’ with a smile on our faces.

2 Likes