First game/frogger clone

so I found out about arduboy less then a week ago I’m still waiting for the parts to build one so I thought id try programing for it well I wait. this is my first time programing anything really and the game was made in only two days

https://drive.google.com/file/d/144AklOm3MHFm3o7qsZAqkzhtCR3ehUCQ/view?usp=sharing

4 Likes

if that download doesn’t work try this one

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yi5DT1kuX6nZpiOxdYQuJCxjarRqejdr/view?usp=sharing

1 Like

Great, looking forward to trying it out! Good for you man, you’re diving right in! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! Can’t wait to get some feed back on it!

Besides building one, you need to get one real :stuck_out_tongue: it is too cute to not order

1 Like

If I buy one it’ll be as a gift so I’ll have someone to help me prototype. As for cuteness I totally agree but I have access to a 3d printer and an idea that might just be able to rival the officials cuteness

If you haven’t got one yet, I’d recommend getting a Github account so you can host your code on Github.

2 Likes

That’s probably a good idea. Thanks for the advice

1 Like

We consider saying that an heresy here newbie, and it can get you banned. Same as saying the name of the forbidden falling blocks game.

just kidding xD waiting to see your design

2 Likes

Great start and nice work for your fist game …

Can I suggest the following:

if(arduboy.pressed(UP_BUTTON) == true and upbuffer == 0 ) {
  upbuffer = 1;
     playery = playery - 16;
}

if(arduboy.notPressed(UP_BUTTON) == true ) {
    upbuffer = 0;
}

It appears from this code that you only want the player to move up the first time you detect the up button being pressed. If so, you could have done this:

void loop() {
  if(!arduboy.nextFrame())  { return; }
  arduboy.clear();
  arduboy.pollButtons();

if (arduboy.justPressed(UP_BUTTON) == true) {
  playery = playery - 16;
}

Also, this can be simply reduced to …

if (arduboy.justPressed(UP_BUTTON)) {

… as the ‘== true’ is redundant.

2 Likes

Why cant we say it?

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll keep that in mind for my next project as I don’t see the point of messing with the frogger code seeing as it works well enough

No problems … you’re right, your approach works but just pointing out the alternative solution.

2 Likes

We can say it, we just can’t make a clone of it because Arduboy Inc has a special agreement with The Tetris Company LLC and we don’t want to jeopardise that, otherwise no more Tetris Microcard™ and the person who made it might get heavily banhammered.

@Aidan_Plews regarding the point @filmote raised,
I’m guessing you’ve either followed some older tutorials or have been learning code from some of the users who make the same mistakes.

Since @filmote didn’t mention it, most people prefer && over and, e.g. if(x > 0 && y > 0).
and only exists because in the early days of programming, some keyboards didn’t have a & available.

2 Likes

Well in that case Tetris Tetris Tetris Tetris Tetris Tetris Tetris Tetris :P

3 Likes

All the code I used I learned from @crait tutorials which are a bit outdated from what I understand. I’ll definitely look into some newer tutorials any recommendations?

1 Like

You can try> Make Your Own Arduboy Game: Part 8 - Steve The Jumping Dinosaur

2 Likes

So I am not allowed to make a clone of Tetris and use it on my ArduBoy without sharing it? Because I basically could program the game in Java and use it without sharing it, so I questioned myself if I’m able to code and play it on my ArduBoy but not sharing it.

P.S.
Yes, I know this thread it kinda old but I wanted to ask that question. Thanks for reading.

Yes you could. It is mostly a running joke than an actual restriction. But, of course, beware- because TTC and Tetris Holding LLC is always monitoring anything involving tetriminos.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply :smiley:
I guess I am going to code it myself but - of course - without sharing it. And maybe I’ll not name my class “Tetrominos” or “Tetriminos” (?) then, haha.