Flash cart(ridge)

That’s the SH1106 display right? You need to recompile each game and rebuild the flash image.

Edit:
When you recompile a game make sure you set the following options:

• Board: Homemade Arduboy
  • Based on: (Sparkfun) Pro Micro 5V -Alternate wiring
  • Flash select: Pin0/D2
  • Display: SH1106
1 Like

Where I select the “flash select” feature on the Arduino ide: Pin0 / 2 ?

I do not know how to do it.

regards

I’ve updated the Arduboy homemade package If you’ve already installed it please update via boards manager. If not please follow the instructions on github

2 Likes

Finally I got my homemade Arduboy with flash cart and Sh1106 to work correctly.

I wanted to thank @Mr.Blinky for all his directions and advice. It has been a great help.

I have managed to compile the games that I have tried but one “Ard-drivin”. It does not load. Maybe it’s because it can not be used with a home Arduino. I really do not know.

regards

2 Likes

Good to hear you’ve worked it out and got the games working with SH1106 display. I will look into Ard-driving and see if it’s somthing in the game, the newer Arduno IDE or my package that is causing issues.

Thank you very much @Mr.Blinky the truth is that the game “ard-drivin” I like a lot and I would like to compile it to use it in my homemade Arduboy.

regards

(Kevin) #221

Smaller is better

6 Likes
(Scott R) #222

How about producing a second no solder version using conductive tape? It would make it more accessible.

Kapton tape to the rescue or some surgical scaping tool? In the later case you should play this in the background. :slight_smile:

Don’t think that tape will work good for making reliable conections to those tiny pads.

(Kevin) #224

Z tape only is good when there is a mechanical force applied. Potentially some foam tape on the metal case could be sufficient but probably also really bad.

Soldering is not difficult, just takes practice but even a first timer could do this. Maybe not everyone but almost. The barrier for most people to learning is not having the tools.

Do yourself a favor and buy a soldering iron and some solder and try to put some wires together. It’s a useful skill that lasts a lifetime.

1 Like
(Shawn) #225

A good method to checking clearances and sizing on prototype boards is to print it out 1:1 on paper, cut it out, and check that is physically fits the enclosure/board/etc. I’m often lazy and don’t bother, but if I did this every time I would save myself many headaches and catch errors before I send designs to the fab house.

1 Like
(Kevin) #226

I think what happened was I was like 90% finished and I wanted to see a render of it so I uploaded it to OSHpark but it was late and I got excited / confused and ended up ordering it before going back and doing a DRC. Whoops!

Yeah printing it out is a really good suggestion.

Also not using octagon vias are also a good suggestion.

1 Like
(Shawn) #227

I can’t hurl any stones, I’ve been guilty of hastily sending off an order and missing some blatantly obvious, silly, easily avoidable mistake. What makes it worse is I get free pcbs from my youtube sponsor so in a way I have even less incentive to double check myself as it’s not my money that is wasted.

In fact, I made a pretty embarrassing mistake in the most recent order I just received. It turns out I somehow screwed up something in the cam gerber output (probably accidentally dis-selected pretty much every layer) and the boards I got back were completely blank … no joke … absolutely no copper on them, just soldermask. Funny thing is I swear I remember checking them using easyEDA and they were fine, but I guess my tired mind was playing tricks on me!

2 Likes

managed to find why Ard-drivin does not work?

regards

Yes, Ard driving includes it’s own modified Arduboy2 library and therefore doesn’t use the Arduboy2 libraries display functions from the homemade package.

Not sure how much work it would take to seperate the added functions and make it use the Arduboy2 library. A more quick and dirty way would be to add the required homemade code.

Fantastic.
I’m going to get myself one of those …

Which also rendered my in-progress Arduboy keyboard next to useless …

1 Like
(Kevin) #231

This is the first official public announcement that I’m working on building this flash cart mod into the production hardware. The plan is to also make the upgrade available as a mod chip patch as the flexible circuit pictured above. You would need to solder it on and flash the bootloader yourself. You have been warned.

10 Likes

:heart_eyes:
Excuse for me to get another new one …
I’ll give this battle tested, rigged one to my little brother as he finishes high school.

(Kevin) #233

Doing a live stream with @mr.blinky so he can teach me how to load games on his flash cart mod:

Not sure how this will turn out! Going to archive the video for those who don’t catch it.

4 Likes

Awesome ! I love Twitch so i’m following this.
I’m really short on time today but if you do some streams here and there i’ll check them out for sure (vod or live).
Have fun guys ! PogChamp