Flash cart(ridge)

Z tape only is good when there is a mechanical force applied. Potentially some foam tape on the metal case could be sufficient but probably also really bad.

Soldering is not difficult, just takes practice but even a first timer could do this. Maybe not everyone but almost. The barrier for most people to learning is not having the tools.

Do yourself a favor and buy a soldering iron and some solder and try to put some wires together. It’s a useful skill that lasts a lifetime.

1 Like

A good method to checking clearances and sizing on prototype boards is to print it out 1:1 on paper, cut it out, and check that is physically fits the enclosure/board/etc. I’m often lazy and don’t bother, but if I did this every time I would save myself many headaches and catch errors before I send designs to the fab house.

1 Like

I think what happened was I was like 90% finished and I wanted to see a render of it so I uploaded it to OSHpark but it was late and I got excited / confused and ended up ordering it before going back and doing a DRC. Whoops!

Yeah printing it out is a really good suggestion.

Also not using octagon vias are also a good suggestion.

1 Like

I can’t hurl any stones, I’ve been guilty of hastily sending off an order and missing some blatantly obvious, silly, easily avoidable mistake. What makes it worse is I get free pcbs from my youtube sponsor so in a way I have even less incentive to double check myself as it’s not my money that is wasted.

In fact, I made a pretty embarrassing mistake in the most recent order I just received. It turns out I somehow screwed up something in the cam gerber output (probably accidentally dis-selected pretty much every layer) and the boards I got back were completely blank … no joke … absolutely no copper on them, just soldermask. Funny thing is I swear I remember checking them using easyEDA and they were fine, but I guess my tired mind was playing tricks on me!

2 Likes

managed to find why Ard-drivin does not work?

regards

Yes, Ard driving includes it’s own modified Arduboy2 library and therefore doesn’t use the Arduboy2 libraries display functions from the homemade package.

Not sure how much work it would take to seperate the added functions and make it use the Arduboy2 library. A more quick and dirty way would be to add the required homemade code.

Fantastic.
I’m going to get myself one of those …

Which also rendered my in-progress Arduboy keyboard next to useless …

1 Like

This is the first official public announcement that I’m working on building this flash cart mod into the production hardware. The plan is to also make the upgrade available as a mod chip patch as the flexible circuit pictured above. You would need to solder it on and flash the bootloader yourself. You have been warned.

10 Likes

:heart_eyes:
Excuse for me to get another new one …
I’ll give this battle tested, rigged one to my little brother as he finishes high school.

Doing a live stream with @mr.blinky so he can teach me how to load games on his flash cart mod:

Not sure how this will turn out! Going to archive the video for those who don’t catch it.

5 Likes

Awesome ! I love Twitch so i’m following this.
I’m really short on time today but if you do some streams here and there i’ll check them out for sure (vod or live).
Have fun guys ! PogChamp

I watched the stream yesterday, and most of it is pretty clear, and easy to do.

the one thing i’m not sure about, is how to flash the bootloader itself. can that only be done through gpio, or is that also possible through USB?

looking forward to the flexpcb to become available

You’ll have to be running hardware compatible with what is at the top of this thread to have a compatible bootloader.

ah i thought that all you needed was the flexpcb you’re developing?

You can also manually flash the bootloader using an icsp programmer like a usbasp or another arduino flashed with the “arduino as isp” sketch.

From what I gather, you install the flash chip by soldering it in and then you burn the bootloader either via another Arduino board (e.g. an Uno) or with a chip designed for doing so (i.e. an ICSP programmer).

The’re a tutorial for burning bootloaders here:

I think technically the bootloader is still in alpha/beta.

I got confused about needing compatible hardware, thinking more hardware was needed on the arduboy side. It makes sense that Kevin meant needing an arduino to flash the Arduboy

Thanks for the link, that will really help!

I won’t flash my Arduboy until I can acquire a memory module or the flex pcb version, and i suppose that by that time the bootloader will have been time-tested :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can not upload the bootloader in the same way as like uploading a sketch over USB. It needs to be uploaded over ‘GPIO’ (ISP pins) like @sjm4306 said. If you have a spare Arduino lying around you can use the Arduino as ISP or else you can purchase an USBasp for under $2 if you can be patient.

The bootloader does not depend on a flash chip connected. So it can be updated at any time you want. One of it’s advantages is that you can enter the bootloader by holding down the down button while switching on.

My advice would be to update the bootloader prior soldering the chip.

It’s been out for a while. I just happen to update it quite often lately. :wink:

It’s not so much that it hasn’t been tested,
just that it’s currently going through some changes,
and personally I wouldn’t be surprised if there were a few more before yet to come.

Being published doesn’t necessarily mean it’s not still in beta :P

Let’s put it this way instead:

At the moment it’s changing regularly,
so if anyone chooses to update their bootloader now,
they should be aware that they might have to update it again in the near future,
or at least before they actually install a flash chip,
so some people might prefer to wait until they actually have a flash chip if they think updating is a bit of a hassle.

If they don’t think it’s too much of a hassle then they can update now and enjoy the extra features.

15 posts were split to a new topic: Lifetime of flash memory?