Former ASM coder from HP48

(julien) #1

Hi there!

My name is Julien and I was a coder (Asm language) on the HP48 G calculators.
You can see my past work of more than 20 year old here : http://jadegame.com/games/hp48/

What is the best way to start coding something on Arduboy, and also does it support 4 greyscale display?

Best,
Julien
http://jadegame.com

(Pharap) #2

The best way is to already known C++, look at the documentation for the Arduboy2 library and start typing :P.

The best way if you don’t already know C++ is to either learn C++ and look at the Arduboy2 library documentation or follow @crait’s tutorial series.

(You can use assembly if you really want, but as far as I’m aware nobody else writes their games in assembly because it’s hard work and C++ is easier to work with.)

No, it has a 128x64 pixel monochrome display.

(Scott) #3

Also, know or learn the particular “flavor” of C++ used by the Arduino environment, which the Arduboy uses.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/HomePage

(Simon) #4

Welcome aboard @Brizzlyy … if you can write assembly for a calculator, I am sure the learning curve for you to master the Arduino / Arduboy environment is going to be child’s play.

As already pointed out, start with @crait’s series and have a look at the Arduboy Magazine https://issuu.com/arduboymag

(julien) #5

Yeah cool I already know pretty well C++ as I already wrote many projects and games with this great language :slight_smile: Cool !
Does one know if a future new arduboy with 4 grayscales like GameBoy display’s will be built one of these days ?

(Simon) #6

There are a number of threads on here with people’s wish lists. Two colours sound like a limitation but there are some impressive games out there. Of course, if you are trying to migrate something you already have be prepared to redo the graphics if they are currently 4 gray scales.

(julien) #7

On HP48 we did hack the display controller to flick 2 bitmaps in order to make 4 grayscale. I’m pretty sure the Arduboy’s OLED display could be hack the same way using interrupt handler and the VBL.:wink:

(Scott) #8

Attempts to do this have been disappointing, mainly because there is no way to access the VBL timing. There has been limited success for some very specific situations.

(Scott) #9

(julien) #10

Nice ! Almost perfect, I think the vsync should be hardware based on such OLED screen.

(Scott) #11

The display timing is independent of the CPU clock and no display timing signals are available, including vertical sync. You’re welcome to attempt grayscale yourself, though.

The display documentation is here:

(julien) #12

Better wait for another version of Arduboy 2 with this kind of display, still retro but with 16 shades of grey :slight_smile:

(Pharap) #13

It’s unlikely the Arduboy will use that screen.
Bateske Has expressed that he wants to make sure the Arduboy stays credit-card sized, and that screen is far too wide (nearly 8 cm).

Besides which many people have asked specifically for only 4 shades of grey (and others are completely opposed to greyscale and want to keep the screen black and white).

(julien) #14

Indeed just keep in mind the exact credit card screen size with 2 and up to 4-colors grey scales capability, killer feature and just like the Game Boy… :wink:

(Scott) #15

@Brizzlyy, Then it’s up to you to find a suitable and available 2 or 4 greyscale display with at least 128x64 pixel resolution, that would still allow the credit card overall size, where everyone else has so far failed to.

(julien) #16

I wonder why this is so hard in 2017, we did that in 1993 on HP48 SX calculator not to mention Gameboy.

(Scott) #17

The HP48 display is too large for a credit card size. The Gameboy display is likely too large as well, especially the height. And, are either of them available for purchase today, in quantity, at a reasonable price?

It’s not a problem of it not being technically possible. There just aren’t any available as a standard part. To have a display custom made usually means that you need to order a minimum quantity in at least the 10000 range or maybe even more than 100000, which is too high a risk for something like an Arduboy 2.

(julien) #18

I understand. Thank you for sharing it’s very interesting.
Btw the HP48 screen is actually smaller than a Credit Card (131x64 pixels).

(Scott) #19

So is the Gameboy screen but neither would leave enough room for decent size buttons if you wanted the whole thing to be credit card size.

(Simon) #20

131 x 64 … that’s almost the same size as the Arduboy. Should make the conversion pretty simple.

Why 131, I wonder?