Game Testing (No Dev Kit!)

Hi folks.
Wondering if somebody with a dev kit can sate my curiosity a bit… I’ve got a pretty- much finished game for the Arduboy (actually since mid-November) but no dev-kit to ultimately try/test it on and no idea when I’ll get one. So, if I upload the source somewhere would somebody be able to have a go with it?

It’s a port of the ZX81 game ‘Mazogs’, adapted for the 128x64 pixel screen and small RAM footprint. I’ve got a Linux desktop/Raspberry Pi version of the code that works fine and an Arduboy sketch version that in theory should work perfectly but without the hardware I’m running blind with it.

(if not I’ll just keep sitting on the source…)
I can post screenshots etc. You can play the original at:
http://www.zx81stuff.org.uk/zx81/jtyone.html?track=Mazogs.tzx.zip@0&title=Mazogs&scale=2&speed=4

Thanks,
Brian.

Throw it up on GitHub or Codebender. I’ll take a look at it, as I’m sure a few others will.

You should at least make sure it compiles without errors, using the Arduino IDE and Arduboy library, or on Codebender.

OK then, I’m game. it’s in:

It compiles in the Arduino IDE at least, although it uses 2336 bytes of RAM and complains about potential instability (again I have no idea how this plays out in practice). It will certainly hit the ‘reset problem’ with the dev-kit bootloader I’d imagine… the emulators I’ve tried it in don’t like it at least. The linux.zip file has the version that compiles/runs on a Linux desktop or Raspberry pi.

It uses the direct-rendering-via-SPI stuff from the Squario game rather than a 1K buffer since it uses so much RAM and is a tile-based game anyway.

I’m on the verge of abandoning the code now as there is not much more I can do with it, but you are certainly welcome to it.

I placed all the files in folder mazogs under my sketchbook folder. Attempting to build with IDE v1.0.5 under Ubuntu Linux 15.04 gives errors:

mazogs.ino:10:5: error: previous declaration of ‘int read_keys()’ with ‘C++’ linkage
mazogs.ino:19:26: error: conflicts with new declaration with ‘C’ linkage
mazogs.ino:11:6: error: previous declaration of ‘void black_screen()’ with ‘C++’ linkage
mazogs.ino:33:30: error: conflicts with new declaration with ‘C’ linkage
mazogs.ino:12:6: error: previous declaration of ‘void white_screen()’ with ‘C++’ linkage
mazogs.ino:40:30: error: conflicts with new declaration with ‘C’ linkage

etc.

I don’t have time right now to look into the problems due to being busy with holiday season activities.

Thanks for having a look Scott, I use version 1.6.6 of the IDE, it builds OK with that, maybe just the older version?

Anyway Scott, and all the other Arduboy folks, have a good Christmas!