Game Uploading Guide Published

I don’t know anyone that uses it regularly either, but there is a lot of discussion going on there, so there’s some kind of user that likes this sort of thing. Embedding the current forum in an iframe is simple enough that the worst it can do is clutter up the interface with the button used to activate it.

I think it’s more a case of lots of people using it occaisionally and that eventually mounts up because Steam has a massive user base.

From the looks of it, the vast majority of discussions are related to trading inventory items like cards and TF2 weapons.
271,304 discussions vs 29,153 for the client itself.

(TL;DR those are a tiny fraction of the user base)
That might seem like a lot, but steam has ~33,000,000 active users each day, acquires another ~1,500,000 users each month and has 125,000,000 total active steam users (according to expanded ramblings).
In fact there are currently 857,492 users currently playing the most active game and the peak today for that game alone was 2,812,696 (according to steam’s own stats).

If it’s that simple it might be worth giving a go, but I think it would be good to at least run a couple of polls to get more opinions about the proposed features before going ahead with it.

I added this to ProjectABE so the community can give the idea a test drive. Removing it later, if that be the case, is easy enough.

The online version can’t embed the forums, so the buttons on the left open a new browser tab instead.

1 Like

Yeah, basically this. You’re too fast!

1 Like

Everyone.

I’m sorry. I’m poor at English, so I hardly catch up this discussion.
Anyway, I think there are no mistakes about “Arduboy Utility”.
Thank you.

1 Like

@bateske
Oh! I found that the URL for “Arduboy Utility” button is mistaken.

1 Like

So the uploading bit is done, that leaves compiling. Anybody know if it’s possible to get the Arduino compiler without the entire IDE?

First hit google-fu :wink:

1 Like

Doesn’t that require the IDE?

Support for Arduino Software versions 0.x, 1.0.x, 1.5.x and 1.6.x except 1.6.2. We recommend 1.6.3 or above version of Arduino IDE.

Edit:
From the link:

Requirements

Arduino IDE

You need to have the Arduino IDE. You can either install it through the installer or download the distribution zip file and extract it.

I found it here in a topic titled “Compiling and uploading arduino programs without the IDE”

Yeah, he meant outside the IDE, but it still needs to be installed. By the looks of it, there’s no way around it.
450mb is a lot. :confused:

I blame the Mac users their OS is like a freaky Windows Linux baby…

there’s not much in the way of a fits all solution in what I’ve found so far.

1 Like

I’ve never seen a more accurate description of MacOS. :laughing:

I’ll have a look at thinning the IDE down. Ideally we’d get rid of the whole Java dependency.

As far as I know, the compiler is just the standard GNU suite for AVR. The problem is that the Arduino “language” adds a “magic” preprocessor to prepare your sketch for compiling.

Yeah, I’m looking into calling the magic bit directly and manually doing the rest of the things in the build process. That’ll shave off about 200mb since I wouldn’t need the JRE.

Are all the arduino core libraries published with a license that allows it to be redistributed as part of another software package?

Assuming the plan is to just have the Arduino stuff alongside as separate files/executables rather than tryung to bake it into the client then it looks like it would count as “mere aggregation”:

Mere aggregation of two programs means putting them side by side on the same CD-ROM or hard disk. We use this term in the case where they are separate programs, not parts of a single program. In this case, if one of the programs is covered by the GPL, it has no effect on the other program.

Combining two modules means connecting them together so that they form a single larger program. If either part is covered by the GPL, the whole combination must also be released under the GPL—if you can’t, or won’t, do that, you may not combine them.

From https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.en.html#MereAggregation

You can actually get the IDE as a .zip file, the reason there’s an installer is because the drivers need installing, so if you use the zip then the drivers must be installed manually (as mentioned here).
The actual compiler part probably doesn’t need any installing, it’s just the uploading that requires the drivers.

Cool that seems to give us fair use.

So really I think the only “protection” Arduino has is the use of it’s trademark then? Some of this applies to the bootloader as it reports as arduino, and I think is partially covered by that?

I know the arduino at heart program was mostly about using the arduino name in marketing and packaging materials, but im pretty sure there is something about using their software, changing the name and going to market with it?

Or they own the usb ids?

The trademark might be an issue.

I think that it would genuinely need a revision of trademark laws that are in play (i.e. the best solution would be to ask a lawyer if it’s affordable to do so).

As of last year the trademark holder is BCMI, and I think they’re based in America so it would probably only be American law in play.
(It’s a bit confusing because they were founded in Italy, but then there was a long-winded trademark dispute and they’ve had several splits and mergers.)

It might be worth trying to contact them by emailing trademark@arduino.cc or trademark@arduino.org (as specified here) to ask for permission or to inquire about whether it would be a violation (which would be cheaper than a lawyer, but you run the risk that they might try to twist things in their favour).

It might also be worth holding off to do more research beforehand though, because it could be the case that they only registered ‘ARDUINO’ (in capitals) rather than ‘Arduino’.