Goldcart: Production Flashcart Image

My Bounce could either stay in Arcade or move to Misc. TechnoMonkey could be moved to Action. I also have 2 other games if you want to add them.
BitWars - Game Jam 3 Could be added to either Arcade or Misc. It is a learning kinda game. Mouse Escape would either be Arcade or a new category for Survival :laughing:.

Yeah there is a deadline but it’s floating too much to really give you a good idea. If you post links to the games I’ll try to get them added. You can also try to make a pull request too if you want.

1 Like

Should game jam games be in their own categories?

Hhhmmm :thinking: They could be but I think it may make more sense to have them in categories the game would fall under since I think that would make more sense as someone looking through games on the device.

1 Like

I am more than okay with my “most useless” game jam entry being culled if need be, as it was solely made to give people a quick chuckle during the jam.

Also, I noticed that you cleaned BiriBiriBeat’s title screen for display, looks good, thank you! I was going to do that this weekend and open a pull request, but you beat (hah) me to it. Did you downscale the emulator title screen to get your source image?

1 Like

Yeah I’m going through and cleaning up a lot of title images.

1 Like

I didn’t go through all the games because I want to know if these ideas work or not. If we like these ideas, I can go through and add each game into the right category.

For changes to categories, I think I have a few ideas that would really help out.

For the Puzzle category, it looks like we’ve mixed all 3 kinds of puzzle games into one category. It would be nice to take these games and split them into these 3 categories. If that’s too much, we could merge 2 of the 3 together. I think this should at least be 2 categories. Here’s the 3 I would split into:

• Puzzle (Match 3 and falling block-style game where the puzzle is endless, like Tetris or Candy Crush)
  • Puzzler (A puzzle game where your goal is to complete a puzzle, like Sokoban and Pipe Dream)
  • Strategy (A simulation or resource-based game, usually endless and can be against an AI, like Sim City or a war strategy game.)

Here’s a few examples of which games would fit into these categories:
Puzzle: Kooky Kookies, Blob Attack, Begemmed, Atomic, 2048, Tres, Psi Colo, Bombzzle, Light Out, Ring
Puzzler: Circuit Dude, Flood Fill, Tiny Sokoban, Pipes, Sensitive, Dark Star, Blocks!, 1010
Strategy Games: MicroTD, MicroCity, Ardulem, Logix, and you can also move ARtillery into this category

Next, change RPG to ‘Adventure,’ which would include RPG’s, but also games like Glove, Catacombs of the Damned, A Maze Adventure Game, ArduIndy, Zoo At Midnight, Tacklebox, Curse of Astarok

Other changes:

Move Evade, Evade 2, Juno First, Love Rush, Space Battle, Asteroids, Jet Pack, Quadrastic, 1943, 1944, Space Quarth to Shooter.

My game, Suit Shooter, isn’t on the list. It could go into the Shooter category.

Move Boris Goes Skiing to sports.

Move Quarto, Sudoku, Tic Tac, and Hangman to Tabletop.

Move Arduboy Says to Arcade.

For some reason that website takes hours to load :stuck_out_tongue:

About the categories, I always though the current ones are crap. I could modify the repo also to match newer ones. Since @bateske is already doing a lot of manual work, why dont you publish a spreadsheet with all the games and few columns for us to write suggested categories to the side (imagine 5 new columns) and finally you could use a dynamic table to find the perfect balance between how wide or deep to go per category.

@batske On ArduboyFX page, the sentence ’ Peripheral Microcontroller (ATtiny85) – An additional microcontroller is along for the ride for the sole purpose of flashing the bootloader to the Arduboy. This eliminates the …’ is incomplete.

You can probably drop 1943 as 1944 is an upgrade to it.

Is the FX Kickstarter still a thing?

oh, any chance of getting ‘tiny blocks’ on there? – http://spinalcode.co.uk/2019/11/15/tinyblocks/

I don’t know either… :thinking:

Which should be better in the each following cases?

• Hopper: Action (current) / Arcade
  • Chribocchi-cat: Action / Arcade (current)
  • Hollow Seeker: Action / Arcade (current)
  • Lasers: Action / Arcade (current)
  • SameGame: Puzzle / Arcade (current)

I hope that ‘Hopper’ and ‘Hollow Seeker’ are belonged to same category at least.

The problem is with the javascript from a.vimeocdn.com.
If I block that domain the page loads fairly quickly.

2 Likes

When I classifying games, I think ‘Arcade’ is meaningless - as you could find an RPG in a games arcade. I prefer ‘Action’ in place of ‘Arcade’ as it is more descriptive of the main game-play mechanics - it requires good reactions vs Strategy (planning) or Puzzles (problem solving), etc.

Whenever I’ve worked on game taxonomies, I’ve always found it necessary to have at leats a main and sub-categories to make sensible distinctions.

3 Likes

I agree with lumping RPGs under ‘Adventure’, but I’m not convinced on the three-way puzzle split.

I think moving MicroTD and MicroCity into a ‘Strategy’ category makes sense, but I find the ‘Puzzler’/‘Puzzle’ split a bit awkward. Also Logix ending up in a different category to Pipes seems strange.

Maybe a better distinction would be ‘Puzzle’/‘Thought Puzzle’/‘Slow Puzzle’ and ‘Speed Puzzle’/‘Action Puzzle’/‘Fast Puzzle’, with the former including the slower-paced deep-thought puzzle games and the latter including the more fast-paced puzzle games.

But you do agree that Circuit Dude and Tetris are completely different kinds of games, even though they would (unfortunately) both be called “puzzle games,” right?

1 Like

Yes, but probably more so in terms of pacing than anything else.

I definitely think both count as puzzle games though.
Both involve pattern recognition, decision making and thinking ahead.

1 Like

@bateske Any change my Raspberry Brain game could be included on the list? It was my first game but I still think it’s somewhat decent. I guess it would belong under Arcade.

https://community.arduboy.com/t/raspberry-brain-a-bizarre-endless-scroller

Yeah someone else was telling me there is a problem with a vimeo plugin, I can’t recreate the issue but I’m guessing there was some CDN problem at vimeo. It’s to a tiny js file so I should just be able to bring it local on my server, but it’s buried within wordpress so I have to figure out where it’s being included from.

UPDATE: I removed the external dependencies to vimeo and youtube that loaded on every page. If anyone has a spare moment to profile the site and see if there is anything else that could be improved.

I unblocked and reloaded and everything seems to be fine now.
The tag that was causing the issue is definitely gone at least.
The website looks fine without it so it probably won’t be missed.

1 Like

Actually, It’s awesome I love it. Games like that aren’t the problem. If they are small, simple and self contained to be a little piece of sillyness I think that is great.

The issue is when I load up a game, I can’t figure out what buttons I’m supposed to push, and once I do, I don’t have a clue what the point of the game is or what even the mechanics are. I’ll move around and then sometimes just randomly die or the game will glitch out. Basically games that in my mind “aren’t finished”, but not finished for the creator but finished to a specific level of standard to present to other people.

@crait makes excellent suggestion for adding the strategy category.

I like the concept of splitting the “Puzzle” and “Puzzler” games apart, but more distinct names for those categories would be better. I’m trying to think of a name of a category that would fit the matching falling block style games.

Actually could put Micro City, Tacklebox and the tomogachi game into a “Simulation” category as well, I’ll have to think if other games might fit in that, but I think “Strategy” might be good.

Looking at names of categories others have used I see “Logic” but to me that’s pretty much the same as “Puzzle”?

I wish there was a better name for games like blob attack and begemmed.

Yeah, not much different game play I figured, I didn’t know if there was significance to you on it.

UPDATE: I’m pretty sure I want to call them “Pattern” games, but it sounds like a freaking quilt :joy: