Happy New Year 2018 How are we doing?

(Kevin) #41

Totally agree and that’s the plan. I have meant to make a directory page with options for all the game loaders and repositories with accordion fly out for instructions on how to use each one.

One thing I’d like to discuss is potentially giving some moderators an account on the wordpress site to make drafts of pages like this. But I’m not sure how interested someone is to take that on. I also don’t really know much about setting up security on wordpress accounts because it also hosts the store.

(Scott R) #42

The other day I noticed google docs can now save as draft and upload to Wordpress.org so uploading images and content from a .doc is pretty simple. If .com has this plugin also you could just have people send you the drafted file for review without giving Wordpress access.

(Kevin) #43

Considering giving people access to the blog to write drafts and use the blog instead of the magazine.

(Simon) #44

Does it even need to be a blog? Does the website allow you to define a ‘category’ that requires approval from admin before people can post new topics? I would hate to see a blog that allows people to post articles but not let people comment in return. I think also that the entirety of the content - the normal categories and the ‘magazine’ articles - should all be searchable within the one site. Maybe the blog allows this, maybe not.

(Kevin) #45

Most of the time on developing the magazine is spent doing typesetting and that’s not a value add. We can streamline the process and meanwhile make it more available to users as it’s available to google searches as well.

There will be categories yes, and you can create tags. It would be searchable.

I haven’t posted anything on the blog in forever so just publishing content to the blog instead of the magazine.

The way it’s published now via pdfs can’t be searched easy or do any of the kind of category organization you’re mentioning so all of that will be improved. We would try to make a post every week but with contributing members it could be much more than that.

Obviously the PDF file now also doesn’t allow for discussion… but the idea would be to make a companion thread in the community which would allow for discussion of the blog articles. So you would click on the bottom [discuss this post in the community] link.

(Pharap) #46

Two little thoughts I’ve had that might help when the time comes:

I think one of the things that put(s) people off contributing to the magazine is not knowing what to write about.

So my idea is to give the magazine/blog has a ‘wanted’ section listing topics that they are looking for people to donate articles about. E.g. “making pixel art” or “C++11 language features” or “how to compose music for ATMLib”

I think if people saw “the magazine/blog wants articles about these topics” they might think “oh, I know how to do that, I’ll donate an article”.

Also (although I accept this might be difficult), maybe giving more encouragement for people to leave their (brutally honest) thoughts about articles - what they liked, what they didn’t like, was it useful etc.

(To this day I’m still not completely sure how useful the articles I contributed were.)

(Scott R) #47

I’m 50/50 on a commenting system you only need to look at YouTube and social media comments to see what a slippery slope allowing comments can be.

(Pharap) #48

That’s true, but when was the last time you saw someone from the forums here getting ad-hominem? If the comments were just from forum users here then I (for one) would be reasonably confident that we’d be in safe hands.

(Granted there have been a few arguments in the past, but they mostly stayed polite and I don’t think there’s been anything that’s caused serious offense.)

Commenting about magazine articles on the forums is already allowed, but there’s rarely feedback about specific articles. Finding a way to encourage more specific constructive feedback is something I think would be beneficial for the magazine/blog.
(Not that I pretend to know how to do that other than asking nicely.)

(Scott R) #49

I created a separate topic for something I’ve been thinking about so not to derail this one.