Help with uploading code in Arduboy clone

@nikkithecat did you try this if it’s not a SSD1306 it’s like 99% a SH1106

Really? You talking about COPYRIGHT? In CHINA?

It’s like, even if you pull him out onto the court(and there is no court) because it is expensive.
I bet he ain’t making a lot of money, though…
That ain’t real arduboy logo, after all.
I might just buy one of those kits to make my homemade arduboy instead of fussing around things…
Pro Micro? bye Bye.

Its not the logo or font at issue, its the use of the name and URL.

I still want to get one of these as the header pin at the bottom suggests all sorts of capability.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=561547353900

2 Likes

As far as I’m aware, it’s the name “Arduboy” that’s trademarked, not the logo.

When it comes to China, it seems it’s the enforcement of the law that’s the issue rather than the meaning of the law.
(Some interesting stuff here and some very boring stuff here.)

Either way, I’m not here to debate the copyright law,
I’m here to see if we can get it working.

@filmote the yuan and yen symbols being the same always confuses me.
It’s one of the nicer currency symbols though.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Currency Symbols

I think I saw this one on TaoBao a while ago. Nice to see someone here purchased it and share some detals.
I think it’s probably a SH1106 display because that type is currently the cheapest 1.3" OLED display available.

Because a Pro Micro is used the display could not be wired according to the original Arduboy design and they had to pick alternative pins to drive the display.I believe it’s the alternate pin assignment that is the problem.

There doesn’t appear to be any technical info in the github @Pharap linked to but they did supply a bunch of hex files. I’ll see if I can get the wiring from reversing one of them.

2 Likes

You should see the ones made by @NyKO they are :heart:

1 Like

Oh I have … they are great too but a little thicker.

1 Like

I can confirm it uses an SH1106 now.

2 Likes

Thought that might be the case. So he needs to use …

2 Likes

With these settings:

promicro-alternate-wiring-sh1106-settings

I’m not sure if it uses the alternate wiring or the old wiring scheme I suggested somewhere last year. I don’t think it uses the standard wiring otherwise I’d expect the display to work.

Edit:
You should not select the ‘Alternate wiring’ as shown in the image but the ‘Standard wiring’ and make the changes to the libraries as mentioned below

2 Likes

The traces can be followed in the pdf

https://github.com/ANTBOT001/ABT-ARDUBOY/blob/master/ABT版ARDUBOY套件组装说明v1.0.pdf

I’m unable to do it at the moment as I’m supposed to be working :joy:

2 Likes

But it is THE $12 Arduboy Compatible System

For ease the header is also labelled in the pdf

2 Likes

Some how I only saw just two pages :joy: After redownloading I saw the others.

The designer probably didn’t know the pull up resistors where not required.

On a glimpse I see pin 9 is connected to OLED CS so this isn’t normal design.

2 Likes

I don’t like it.
Somehow they got this working with the normal Arduboy library.

After uploading on my Arduino Leonardo, the screen have this “snow flake” screen with one “line” of correct display. Same thing I got here … four month ago.
Something with the “page mode” or something…

Mmmmm…Now what you should do is:
Spend 10$ and buy a proper SSD1306 display, and it must be 1.3 inch. But wait …
@Mr.Blinky!
You have the library for the Pro Micro and SH 1106 combination, eh? (I remembered you talking about that somewhere…)
@Keyboard_Camper You just said you were working…

Google Translates to:
Dual source electronic ARDUBOY kit, related library files and game source code. The program is almost the same as the official one, except that the driver of the LCD screen has been changed; the Pro Micro used by the master has a different definition of the control pin than the official one.

I assume the required library may possibly be in the .rar

2 Likes

Confirmed from both the PCB tracks and reversed code OLED_CS is the only difference and is connected to Pin 9 (PORTB bit 5) to which normally the RGB Blue LED is connected.

From Arduboy2 library In Arduboy2core.h change:

#define PIN_CS 12    
  #define CS_PORT PORTD
  #define CS_BIT PORTD6

to

#define PIN_CS 9    
  #define CS_PORT PORTB
  #define CS_BIT PORTB5

for Arduboy library in Arduboy.h change:

#define CS 12

to:

#define CS 9

In a nutshell:
The ABT-ARDUBOY (shall we call it ANTBOY? :smiley: ) clone uses a SH1106 OLED display and uses digital pin 9 for OLED CS (Chip Select). The above changes need to be made to the Arduboy and Arduboy2 libraries for correct screen display.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for your answers guys, I will do the changes now and let you know the results.
@Keyboard_Camper @filmote

2 Likes

Seems like the designer also didn’t realise they could have just connected CS to GND? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes