How durable is the arduboy?

(Pharap) #21

That’s because Lithium-ion batteries are considered dangerous goods because they can violently explode if damaged in transit.

See also: “Lithium-ion batteries in a microwave”.
Lots of fun videos floating around. :P

I know that at least in the US you cannot airmail lithium batteries. When people send me stuff to fix I specifically ask them to not ship with lithium batteries if they are not internal to not risk it getting held at the post office.

(Kevin) #23

If I made an Arduboy for $5 it would be even more durable and probably use AA or AAA batteries.

(Scott R) #24

Your my favourite ghost right now PM incoming.

I made my buddy a dirt cheap arduboy that runs off AA batteries. It was an abomination of hot glue and wire, but it couldn’t have cost me more than $5 and some scraps from my junk bin.

The battery was just “hung” over by the battery tabs. There are no adhesive or anything holding it down.
While it is more convenient to look at the “cool drawings” it creates a tearing force on the battery tab.
I thought that is what that tore my battery from the board.
But I am going to get my Arduboy a new back plate and a bigger, EXTERNAL pack anyway.

Putting the protection circuit on the printed PCB is more reasonable. It allows for maximum size and capacity of the battery.
The battery tab was a thing, but you can also just have the battery to be connected to the PCB NOT via the battery tab but with a flexible wire. (attached to the battery solder tab, then … heat shrink it.)
Then tape the thing down to stop it from moving from side to side.
This was of advantage as you can have the power pins anywhere on the back of the PCB as you’d like to.
not having the protection circuitry with the battery also allow guys like me and Mr. Blinky to put on batteries of our choice.

That was the case with mine too. From what I’ve understand the battery wasn’t taped down as instructed because something was lost in translation.

Because of that you can use batteries with and without a protection. With batteries that have protection built-in you may also connect the black negative wire to GND instead of the “-” terminal to bypass the internal protection. (but it’s easier to solder to the “-” terminal)

Two layer of safety was always better than one.
Especially when talking over explosive packs of electricity reservoirs …
But you are totally right.