How Easy Are These To Program

After recently receiving my Arduboy, I decided that I would attempt to make a game. However not having much programming knowledge I didn’t want to go and dive into the deep end. But also not being too creative I decided I would try and create a clone of an existing game. Below is a list of games which I enjoy that I was wondering which would be the easiest to program. I realise some of these are rather large games but I was focussing more on the concept.

-Mario Kart
-Knight Rider
-Crazy Taxi
-a game based on the concept of the film ‘Speed’
-Just Cause
-Downwell
-Mini Metro

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

(Trevor Ancona) #2

Downwell would be the easiest, but I think you think the system is much more powerful than it is, the Arduboy can only do basic 3D. I’d recommend learning some C++ first and then once you have a good grasp on the language, start working with Arduboy. With the Arduboy library programming becomes much easier as it helps a lot with drawing sprites and getting inputs and such, so it isn’t very hard but you still need to know what you’re doing.

(Holmes) #3

Hey, HZ128! Programming can be really fun, but to those people who do not understand it, it can kinda seem like magic. With that being said, until you start learning how to code, it may make differentiating games’ complexities a little hard.

I would suggest following my tutorials to learn the basics of coding on the Arduboy! I split them into several parts, so far:

As for the games you have listed, some of those take entire studios to make, such as Just Cause and Crazy Taxi. They would be hard for any one single person, even if they are really good at coding.

I think a game like Downfall or Mini Metro may be easier of those games. I find that getting inspiration for new games comes easiest when learning to code, so when following those tutorials, you may come up with your own game concept that would work well with the Arduboy!

(Mike) #4

I’m not familiar with all those games, but based on the ones I know and the comments, it seems they all have a real time component and animation. Those add a layer of complexity to things that you might want to avoid for a first game. So a puzzle game like my 1010 or 1024 or craits circuit game to start. But if those aren’t your thing, a game you’re interested in is a better choice.

(Kevin) #5

To start a game from scratch you’ll be learning a little bit of C++ programming. It seems challenging at first but just like anything else it takes practice.

Creating complicated games can take years of experience but even a beginner can put a very simple game together in a week or two.

We will be publishing some more tutorials of our own in addition to the excellent tutorials already prepared by our community.

Another great way to start getting familiar with how to program the Arduboy is to look at some of the source code from one of the games in our library. Once you become more familiar with the code, its fun to try and change variables or add things to other peoples games to learn.

(B Alan Eisen) #6

Is there a good tutorial on using the Arduboy library? TIA.

(Kevin) #7

Hello @B_Al this might be of help if you have already checked out the tutorials by @crait

http://community.arduboy.com/t/arduboy-library-documentation/

It has a link to a PDF that is an offline version of our documentation. The github supports doxygen, and we are working on hosting on our site and highlighting it from the main page very soon.

(Scott) #8

The Arduboy2 library will likely become the standard library for new development. It’s mostly compatible with the Arduboy library, so most of the information in existing tutorials will apply.

Though not a tutorial, I’ve tried to provide technical details of the Arduboy2 library API in the form of Doxygen formatted comments. The Doxygen generated output can be found here:
https://mlxxxp.github.io/documents/Arduino/libraries/Arduboy2/Doxygen/html/index.html