How exactly does uploading work? [SOLVED]

I got my Arduboy like a day ago, and I managed to get game some games onto it using the various uploaders. I’ve mainly been using the Arduboy Uploader, but also tried the Team ARG uploader.

What I gathered from this so far is that certain files only work on certain uploaders. The Team ARG uploader for example seems to only work with .arduboy files. The Arduboy Uploader seems to work with both .hex and .arduboy.

I’ve tried uploading with the Arduino IDE by putting the file in the Arduino folder in my Documents folder, making sure the file has the same name as the .ino file, making sure the Arduboy is recognized as a Leonardo board by the Arduino IDE, then uploading it. I have yet to get that to work for any games.

Some Arduboy games don’t have .arduboy files, some don’t have .hex files, a few don’t even have .ino files which really confuses me.

So this has been my experience so far. I guess my question is, can someone untangle exactly how uploading is done? Which uploader do I use for each file type? How do I get the Arduino IDE to upload something successfully? If possible, is there one method that works for all file types so I don’t have to keep switching back and forth?

Thanks in advance for the help. Let me know if I’ve got all this wrong.

A .arduboy file is really just a renamed .zip that contains the hex, some png images, some text describing the game, and possibly a banner image. To compile an arduboy game however, you need the source code such as the .ino arduino project file and any necessary libraries. My guess is that in the arduino IDE you are never even getting close to the upload stage because the code is never successfully compiling. If you go to ‘file’ and then ‘preferences’, in the window that pops up next to ‘show verbose output during:’ check the boxes for both compilation and upload. Then you can copy and paste any errors/warnings it gives you when you try to compile and upload here so we can get a better idea how to help.

Thanks for the reply.

So I tried uploading Ardusweeper for example. Here’s the link to Ardusweeper.

I get the following error message after checking verbose for both options in the Arduino IDE:

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\tools-builder -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -built-in-libraries C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries -libraries C:\Users\Sal\Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:uno -vid-pid=0X2341_0X8036 -ide-version=10805 -build-path C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_388545 -warnings=default -build-cache C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_163532 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -verbose C:\Users\Sal\Documents\Arduino\Arduboy games\Minesweeper\bitmaps.h
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\tools-builder -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -built-in-libraries C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries -libraries C:\Users\Sal\Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:uno -vid-pid=0X2341_0X8036 -ide-version=10805 -build-path C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_388545 -warnings=default -build-cache C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_163532 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -verbose C:\Users\Sal\Documents\Arduino\Arduboy games\Minesweeper\bitmaps.h
Using board 'uno' from platform in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr
Using core 'arduino' from platform in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr
Detecting libraries used...
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10805 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR   "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\standard" "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_388545\sketch\bitmaps.h.cpp" -o "nul"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10805 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR   "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\standard" "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_388545\sketch\bitmaps.h.cpp" -o "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_388545\preproc\ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp"
C:\Users\Sal\Documents\Arduino\Arduboy games\Minesweeper\minesweeper.ino:1:21: fatal error: Arduboy.h: No such file or directory

#include <Arduboy.h>

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Uno.

Oops, I’m dumb. Thought I downloaded the Arduboy library on this computer. I tried uploading again and got this error:

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\tools-builder -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -built-in-libraries C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries -libraries C:\Users\Sal\Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:uno -vid-pid=0X2341_0X8036 -ide-version=10805 -build-path C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_299335 -warnings=default -build-cache C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_163532 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -verbose C:\Users\Sal\Documents\Arduino\Arduboy games\Minesweeper\bitmaps.h
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\tools-builder -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -built-in-libraries C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries -libraries C:\Users\Sal\Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:uno -vid-pid=0X2341_0X8036 -ide-version=10805 -build-path C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_299335 -warnings=default -build-cache C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_163532 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -verbose C:\Users\Sal\Documents\Arduino\Arduboy games\Minesweeper\bitmaps.h
Using board 'uno' from platform in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr
Using core 'arduino' from platform in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10805 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR   "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\standard" "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_299335\sketch\bitmaps.h.cpp" -o "nul"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10805 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR   "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\standard" "-IC:\Users\Sal\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduboy\src" "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_299335\sketch\bitmaps.h.cpp" -o "nul"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10805 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR   "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\standard" "-IC:\Users\Sal\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduboy\src" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SPI\src" "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_299335\sketch\bitmaps.h.cpp" -o "nul"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10805 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR   "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\standard" "-IC:\Users\Sal\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduboy\src" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SPI\src" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\EEPROM\src" "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_299335\sketch\bitmaps.h.cpp" -o "nul"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10805 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR   "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\standard" "-IC:\Users\Sal\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduboy\src" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SPI\src" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\EEPROM\src" "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_299335\sketch\bitmaps.h.cpp" -o "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_299335\preproc\ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp"
C:\Users\Sal\Documents\Arduino\Arduboy games\Minesweeper\minesweeper.ino:3:21: fatal error: bitmaps.h: No such file or directory

#include "bitmaps.h"

^

compilation terminated.

Using library Arduboy at version 1.1.1 in folder: C:\Users\Sal\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduboy 
Using library SPI at version 1.0 in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SPI 
Using library EEPROM at version 2.0 in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\EEPROM 
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Uno.

Do I just have to install all the libraries used in an Arduboy game?

Yeah looks like you just need to sort out installing the necessary libraries. Often times, if you get source code from github, on the page there will be info about what libraries you will need to compile.

(Matt) #6

bitmaps.h is not a library, it’s part of ardusweeper’s source code. Is there a bitmaps.h file in the same directory as minesweeper.ino?

The arduboy is a more community driven console, so there’s no well established one way to do this unfortunately. Each game, uploader, etc is a little different. It can take a little practice and digging to get used to what’s expected.

Yep, there is a bitmaps.h file right next to minesweeper.ino, not quite sure why this error is occuring. I found a different library called Ardbitmaps that’s used for the Arduboy and installed to see if that would fix the issue, but no go.

And thanks for the advice! In theory, all games should be uploadable via the Arduino IDE though, no?

As city41 noted bitmaps.h file is a custom source file written by the author of the program so you will need the specific file. Try manually including it from ‘sketch’ and ‘add file’ and see if the ide sees it then.

Your also building for the wrong board. Select Leonardo from the tools > boards menu

Oh woops! I changed the board to a Leonardo like Mr. Blinky suggested and manually added the bitmaps.h file like sjm4306 suggested. Here’s the new error:

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Leonardo"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\tools-builder -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -built-in-libraries C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries -libraries C:\Users\Sal\Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:leonardo -vid-pid=0X2341_0X8036 -ide-version=10805 -build-path C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_649669 -warnings=default -build-cache C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_371657 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -verbose C:\Users\Sal\Documents\Arduino\Arduboy games\Minesweeper\bitmaps.h
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\tools-builder -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -built-in-libraries C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries -libraries C:\Users\Sal\Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:leonardo -vid-pid=0X2341_0X8036 -ide-version=10805 -build-path C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_649669 -warnings=default -build-cache C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_371657 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -verbose C:\Users\Sal\Documents\Arduino\Arduboy games\Minesweeper\bitmaps.h
Using board 'leonardo' from platform in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr
Build options changed, rebuilding all
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10805 -DARDUINO_AVR_LEONARDO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR  -DUSB_VID=0x2341 -DUSB_PID=0x8036 '-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Unknown"' '-DUSB_PRODUCT="Arduino Leonardo"' "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\leonardo" "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_649669\sketch\bitmaps.h.cpp" -o "nul"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10805 -DARDUINO_AVR_LEONARDO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR  -DUSB_VID=0x2341 -DUSB_PID=0x8036 '-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Unknown"' '-DUSB_PRODUCT="Arduino Leonardo"' "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\leonardo" "-IC:\Users\Sal\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduboy\src" "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_649669\sketch\bitmaps.h.cpp" -o "nul"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10805 -DARDUINO_AVR_LEONARDO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR  -DUSB_VID=0x2341 -DUSB_PID=0x8036 '-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Unknown"' '-DUSB_PRODUCT="Arduino Leonardo"' "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\leonardo" "-IC:\Users\Sal\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduboy\src" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SPI\src" "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_649669\sketch\bitmaps.h.cpp" -o "nul"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10805 -DARDUINO_AVR_LEONARDO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR  -DUSB_VID=0x2341 -DUSB_PID=0x8036 '-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Unknown"' '-DUSB_PRODUCT="Arduino Leonardo"' "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\leonardo" "-IC:\Users\Sal\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduboy\src" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SPI\src" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\EEPROM\src" "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_649669\sketch\bitmaps.h.cpp" -o "nul"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10805 -DARDUINO_AVR_LEONARDO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR  -DUSB_VID=0x2341 -DUSB_PID=0x8036 '-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Unknown"' '-DUSB_PRODUCT="Arduino Leonardo"' "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\leonardo" "-IC:\Users\Sal\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduboy\src" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SPI\src" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\EEPROM\src" "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_649669\sketch\bitmaps.h.cpp" -o "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_649669\preproc\ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp"
C:\Users\Sal\Documents\Arduino\Arduboy games\Minesweeper\minesweeper.ino:3:21: fatal error: bitmaps.h: No such file or directory

#include "bitmaps.h"

^

compilation terminated.

Using library Arduboy at version 1.1.1 in folder: C:\Users\Sal\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduboy 
Using library SPI at version 1.0 in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SPI 
Using library EEPROM at version 2.0 in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\EEPROM 
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino Leonardo.

Just to be sure you unzipped the folder and renamed it from minesweeper-master to minesweeper ? the minesweeper folder should look something like this:
screenshot
(only the bitmaps.h, digits.h and minesweeper.ino are relevant though)

Ahh… I had renamed the folder from “Minesweeper-master” to “Minesweeper”

I just changed it to “minesweeper” and it got further in the compiling process, so I guess the folder naming is thing is case sensitive. Thanks for that suggestion Mr. Blinky!

Here is how the minesweeper files look now:

It seems I’ve run into another snag. After trying to upload, it got to the point of uploadign and filling up the green bar in the IDE. But it stayed like that for a while and eventually gave me this error:

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Leonardo"

Archiving built core (caching) in: C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_501454\core\core_arduino_avr_leonardo_0c812875ac70eb4a9b385d8fb077f54c.a
Linking everything together...
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-gcc"  -Os -g -flto -fuse-linker-plugin -Wl,--gc-sections -mmcu=atmega32u4  -o "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_17340/minesweeper.ino.elf" "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_17340\sketch\minesweeper.ino.cpp.o" "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_17340\libraries\Arduboy\ab_logo.c.o" "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_17340\libraries\Arduboy\glcdfont.c.o" "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_17340\libraries\Arduboy\Arduboy.cpp.o" "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_17340\libraries\Arduboy\audio\audio.cpp.o" "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_17340\libraries\Arduboy\core\core.cpp.o" "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_17340\libraries\SPI\SPI.cpp.o" "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_17340/core\core.a" "-LC:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_17340" -lm
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-objcopy" -O ihex -j .eeprom --set-section-flags=.eeprom=alloc,load --no-change-warnings --change-section-lma .eeprom=0  "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_17340/minesweeper.ino.elf" "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_17340/minesweeper.ino.eep"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-objcopy" -O ihex -R .eeprom  "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_17340/minesweeper.ino.elf" "C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_17340/minesweeper.ino.hex"
Sketch uses 21190 bytes (73%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28672 bytes.
Global variables use 1514 bytes (59%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1046 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2560 bytes.
Forcing reset using 1200bps open/close on port COM6
PORTS {COM6, } / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {COM6, } => {COM6, }
Found upload port: COM6
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega32u4 -cavr109 -PCOM6 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\Sal\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_17340/minesweeper.ino.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jan 17 2017 at 12:00:53
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM6
         Using Programmer              : avr109
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 57600
         AVR Part                      : ATmega32U4
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PA0
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    20     4    0 no       1024    4      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : butterfly
         Description     : Atmel AppNote AVR109 Boot Loader

Connecting to programmer: .avrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding
Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

I cut a big chunk off of the error code from the beginning because it exceeded the character limit for post. It was a bunch of file locations and such. I left the first line, and the ending of the error. I can try to post the whole thing separately if it is needed. It was over 40000 character though so not sure how I’d do that.

Good so it compiles now. The problem now is with serial port.

did you select com6 from the tools > port menu ?

Yessir.

What was the last thing you uploaded to your Arduboy? May be the last uploaded sketch is causing the upload to fail.

You may want to try and put Arduboy in flashlight mode first by pressing and holding down the up button and then power Arduboy on. Then try uploading again.

That did it! Thanks for helping me stumble through this, lol