How many people have works in progress?

(Andrew Crawford) #1

I’m just curious because I was a couple years late to the party, but I was just wondering… who has works currently in progress (or knows of any)? Of course there’s no shortage of great games already out there, there just also seems to be no shortage of threads for games that seem to kind of dead end (much to my dismay) and I was wondering if any of these might see the light of day or if they’ve more or less fallen off the map altogether… Doesn’t deter me from finishing my game any either, I’m pretty set on giving back to the community what/how I can and seeing this project to completion is especially important to me, I’m just curious.

1 Like
(Shawn) #2

I assume that a lot of developers are like me: we start with vigor and the best intentions, get a good ways into a project, either lose interest/hit a roadblock/life intervenes so things get back burnered, and we are just waiting to get the time or energy to finish. I have a whole host of projects stuck in the purgatory of my shelf of the unfinished. Once and awhile I light the fire back up and knock one or two off my list as completed to my satisfaction, but more often than not they sit there taunting me … haunting me with the vision of what they could be … wow typing this all out just made me a little depressed …

5 Likes
(Boti Kis) #3

I do and I’m making progress. :slight_smile:
All thanks to our beloved Sir @Pharap, Duke of “C - it’s actually C++”.

4 Likes
(Stephane C) #4

Couple projects are still in progress and will be release in a near future. I am working on 2 different teams so I am kept busy. The fact that you don’t see post about games doesn’t mean there ain’t any coming. Sometimes it’s better to hold off posting about them until it’s where you want it to be. :smiley:

4 Likes
(Andrew Crawford) #5

Thank god because I’ve seen both you guys (@Botisaurus @Vampirics) were working on/worked on games I am heavily invested in :wink:

3 Likes
(Pharap) #6

That happens a lot in game development (and programming in general).

Staying motivated long enough to get a game to a ‘finished’ state is a real problem.
(Technically a game is never truly ‘finished’. :P)

Most of the fun stuff happens at the beginning,
and after a while it becomes a bit of a chore.

In my case I tend to get bored if what I’m working on isn’t sufficiently interesting or challanging, or if I’m not learning something new.

I’m pretty sure most programmers have at least several folders full of half-finished projects.

If you whack an open source licence on it and throw it on GitHub then no project ever truly vanishes.

OhYouSmall

5 Likes
(Andrew Crawford) #7

I kind of figured as much (as far as a lot of peoples’ projects falling to the wayside due to life happening/getting in the way), and I can definitely understand the losing interest when things get a little more tedious (my adhd brain is bad at that, hence why I jumped around a little in my own game between the flight part and exploration part :P).

I’m just glad to see I didn’t miss the boat entirely and get into it after everyone else had put it down and it was getting to be too late, which i was honestly a bit worried about due to the current lifespan of the Arduboy (because 3-4 years is a lot for a development community to still be going as strong, I’ve gotten into things in a shorter time frame than that and by then it was already too late).

But like I said too, not like that would deter me any regardless, I’m pretty committed to seeing my game through to completion just because I have a hard time completing anything (thanks again adhd :P) so it would be a pretty big deal for me, plus just in the couple weeks since I started I’m already that much better equipped to make it a real possibility (all thanks to you guys), though I know I still have a long way to go yet, of course… I’m just pretty set on sticking with it as long as it takes.

And I have some other ideas bouncing around (for games the Arduboy is lacking) but they’re all pending completion of my first because I can utilize what I learned from it :stuck_out_tongue: but that just means once I get through the thick of the learning curve it’ll take that much less time/energy.

Sorry to go on as much, didn’t realize how long this post was til it was a bit too late :stuck_out_tongue: I just really appreciate this platform (and more so you guys) so I don’t really expect my enthusiasm to fade anytime soon (so long as I don’t burn you guys out :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like
(Michael Gollnick) #8

Also on something and progressing well.

2 Likes
(Andrew Crawford) #9

I hate to even ask (because im sure whatever you put out will be just as great), but is it that FPS you were working on, by any chance? :x That just looked so damn good

1 Like
(Pharap) #10

Going off on a brief tangent…

When I was at college there was a girl in the younger gamedev group who wanted to be a 3D modeller and she had ADHD, so your far from alone.

(Though I suspect programming is probably more difficult than 3D modelling,
because programming can get very boring and requires more focus in general.)

I wanted to insert an image of a C++ learning curve with amusing comments,
but I couldn’t find one that I liked.

Every post I’ve ever written.

1 Like

Like @sjm4306 @Pharap I’ve got lot’s of projects left unfinished. Hopefully I have some of them finished by the end of the year.

2 Likes
(Shawn) #12

I have experience in both CAD 3D modelling and programming and I honestly couldn’t say for sure if one is inherently more difficult than the other. They both require very different skillsets but they do have one thing in common … they can really try your patience and make you scream at your computer! The more I think about it there is another similarity: CAD requires visualizing a complex 3D shape in your head at the start and then working backwards to use a series of simple commands to produce that shape in a digital representation (while considering tolerances and mechanical/material properties in my line of work) much like how programming requires working backwards from breaking down a complex high level problem into a series of simple instructions to achieve that goal while working within the constraints of the language/hardware/design requirements.

2 Likes
(Kevin) #13

I have a work in progress it will be done this year. :slight_smile:

3 Likes
(Andrew Crawford) #14

Yeah, I second what Shawn said… I used to hate math (was my worst subject in school) until I got into manufacturing inspection programming a machine that did measurement on a coordinate system to a cad model, because it was more applied and also more problem solving, was able to see it right in front of me and found out I learned best through problem solving… which has in turn gotten me into actual programming, but I also know the learning curve is a bit wider considering all the more tools at your disposal (most of which I know nothing about yet). It was just a bit slow to start, but now I feel as though I’m actually gaining a bit of momentum

2 Likes
(Michael Gollnick) #15

Yes it is. I am working on it for quite some time. Recently it got quite some tension :grin:

2 Likes
(Pharap) #16

I was talking about 3D modelling for video games and 3D animation, not CAD.
(I’m not aware of any gamedev course that teaches CAD.)

In CAD you have to be millimetre accurate,
and you’re working with programming-like object definitions,
so it’s a very different environment.
.sch files rather than .blend files.

For video games an animation you don’t have to worry as much about accuracy,
and there’s no scripting or typing, it’s all freehand sculpting and mouse movements.
It’s artsy rather than mathematical.

You still need to know all the various tools and techniques,
but you don’t have to build them yourself.
(In fact you probably don’t even need to know what a matrix is.)

I still hate maths and I was actually good at it (relatively speaking).
(At one point I was in ‘top set’.
I dropped down to set 2 because I didn’t want to do the extra hour of after school maths.)

I think it’s probably harder when you start off working with low level details and/or on a system with limited resources.

I think understanding the low level details and how the compiler translates a language to machine instructions makes it much easier programming as a whole,
but I also think that in the beginning being able to work with high level constructs makes life much easier, and makes it easier to start churning out working programs (even though you wouldn’t understand what’s going on underneath all the abstraction).

I used C# before C++,
and it’s still my go-to language for making a desktop program in a short space of time,
but C++ is a must for embedded systems,
and it’s the best language for getting good performance because the abstractions it offers are closer to the machine and it relies less heavily on dynamic allocation.

2 Likes
(Simon) #17

Yes … we have a little time-filler in the works. We have a little water-based action coming up.

1 Like

When does that thing delivers?

Well I didn’t even bother to order them.

I should probably order my pins right now so I can get my arduboy clone together (and stop ripping clothes and paper apart with those exposed pins)

side project

When I found a decent battery pack sitting on the ground, that’s what I do.
I recently fixed my friend’s laptop charger and resoldered half of it. Reattached the grounding, too.

THEN I will be playing around with Windows Desktop, and after that …
I’d spend time with other stuff.
Not really, though. I have less stuff on my plate than I thought I have.

I may have my Arduboy run on dry AAA cells or AA cells (found some really cool power modules)
It’s for lilypad.

I am currently refactoring the code for my little engine, so that I can actually do something with it. Making progress, but I’m still not sure what kind of game to make in the end.

1 Like

I do and hope to finish it soon, because this bigger than my usual stuff.

1 Like