[idea] A website with all arduboy games, any interest?

(Daniel Pelletier) #21

I know that, I ment that I don’t really know how people react … Are people more aggressive and inclined to bad comments or easy goning helpfull people. ( From what I saw I think the later )

Ok ! I understand what you mean… I was in the Idea of text review… but indeed if you only look at the star rating, it can be disapointing.

I have to admit that at that age, I only had a Atari 2600 and at the time I would have never tought that I would one day be able to learn how to program. Nowadays, kids are almost born with keyboards or game pad in their hands…

My son told me he wanted to be a sysadmin when he grows up ( Because it is what I do ) and I see too many sysadmins nowadays that don’t even know how to script anything… making games will be a good challenging way for him to learn to :
a) Plan what needs to be done
b) Make algorithms
c) learn how programing works
d) learn how computers works

I believe that being able to control what a computer do and react to event help us learn about the way the world around us works.

another plus ! It will help us bound on other things than computer games… ( I mean PLAYING ) :wink:

the only thing that I am unsure about is that we are french canadian so his english is really bad. but I intend to translate the " Making your first Arduboy game " for him… ( By the way, as I will be doing it anyway, would there be a good place here to put it once the translation is done ? )

(Pharap) #22

It depends where you go on the internet.
We’re quite lucky here, most people are nice.

It’s like why some people prefer books.
Often imagination is more fantastic than reality,
so imagined failure is more devastating than actual failure.

Sadly touch screens are taking over.
Sometimes I fear for the future of the keyboard and mouse.

Somehow I am unsurprised.

This reminds me of something Linus Torvalds once said:

I’m personally convinced that computer science has a lot in common with physics. Both are about how the world works at a rather fundamental level. The difference, of course, is that while in physics you’re supposed to figure out how the world is made up, in computer science you create the world. Within the confines of the computer, you’re the creator. You get to ultimately control everything that happens. If you’re good enough, you can be God. On a small scale.

Other people have said similar things about the relationship between computers and the natural world.
Like how Lindenmeyer systems can mimic tree growth.

Fortunately you’re not the only french-canadian on the forum.
There’s also at least 3-4 French speakers around.
(Regrettablement, mon francais est nul. :P)

From experience I would say that the majority of forum users have English as a second language.
(We’ve never done a poll to check though.)

(By the way, if you want something to play in French, I made a Minesweeper game that has many different languages available.)

Probably the Education/Guides category.

(Holmes) #23

crait.net/arduboy/ also has some games, including Circuit Dude.

(Kevin) #24

I want to put an emulator on the front page with all the games accessable. Basically what pico8 does.

The next step is making it so the emulator can compile and run in the cloud. Actually almost all of this toolchain exists because of all of the amazing arduboy fans and community, I just need to get off my ass and make it official and integrate it to the site.

I also would love to build an ios and android app, but theoretically these could just be wrappers for the site.