I'm heading ... back (ish)

Clearly.

Gladly, one of my friend had downloaded V2Ray for me (because how it was still banned and stuff)
If you look at my IP address it’s either 255.0.0.0 or haywire or something.
127.0.0.1? That’s what the client told me. Server’s based in Hongkong (the ones to U.S. was more often targeted)
Not too good at networking. Anyway, what happened in my recent 6 months?


Well, first, thank to V2Ray for making the connection possible!

Second, my new Dell 9360?
I bought it very recently (2 months) but it’s an already-outdated product.
see it here. Mine come with Intel i7-8550U (Quad Core) and 8GB of RAM. Samsung 860 Evo was the slip.

Which says goodbye to Windows 7 …


But again, thank to my Windows 10 Pro, I now had Hyper-V, so welcome again … (was installing it from physical CD)

That gave you a peek to my desktop! Hmm…



Now, perhaps the bad part for you guys …

I had carefully considered more development toward Arduboy, but … when you can now write proper programs (memory leaks and GDI object overflow is now patched) for Windows, you kind of stopped … toying around such item.

I’m maybe going to write a space invader for the Arduboy, but chances are small. (I had a python script from when I was in Boston University Summer Challenge, just need to rewrite it in C++)

My “badge”
Xcode_SML

Stuff I am currently working on:


Including attempts to multiple solutions in a project (solution: pong, breakout, etc. project: Interactive Graphical Programs) and the “solutions” itself. Will dump everything on GitHub.

Can’t upload my .exe files yet, so I guess that’s all for you guys.

Sit tight for my GitHub update!

Does anyone knows what is the “.gitattributes” and the “.gitgnore” for?
I had seen some … “attributes” and “attributes” that GitHub should ignore.
probably for the few missing hidden folder stuff.

That looks more like a subnet mask.

The IPv4 loopback address.

Arduboy programs are still ‘proper’ programs,
they’re just running in a very constrained environment.

The forum won’t accept .exes for a very good reason.

GitHub will accept .exes, but it makes more sense to upload them to the ‘releases’ than the repo itself.
Also ideally it should be possible for other people to compile the source code directly,
which should be easy enough as long as your code doesn’t rely on hardcoded file paths or details specific to your computer.

They’re to do with Git rather than GitHub.
If you upload directly through GitHub’s UI they don’t do anything (as far as I’m aware),
but if you upload using Git or a Git client then they affect Git’s behaviour…

.gitignore is to specify files that shouldn’t be uploaded to the repo.
For example, if you’re commiting Visual Studio projects you’ll want to have a *.suo line so your .suo file isn’t committed to the repo.

.gitattributes affects things like line endings and indentation characters.
It can also do some pretty complex stuff, but it’s rare to need anything more than normalising line endings and indentation characters.

https://www.git-scm.com/docs/gitignore
https://www.git-scm.com/docs/gitattributes

1 Like

This was where I was heading until … well until I “figured” that I need to tell you guys.
A couple things I figured in the transition from Arduboy to Windows Desktop.
It’s good that they are both using some kind of C/C++. With some unusual interpretation (open for debate) of the message loop I managed to put in the familiar setup() and main(), and from a bit of reading of MSDN documentation I had pieced together a working nextFrame(int) that don’t use 25% of the CPU to refresh the message loop. You do need to learn a bit about Windows Desktop, though.

We had GDI graphics in color, we had basic text output (no variables yet, sorry), and we had mouse and keyboard input. We had a window size that is … 3.8K times 2.1K pixels (4K?), or could be made to be smaller. It can be adjusted like normal, or fixed (like the win2K minesweeper)
We had mostly unlimited ROM (let’s say 10MB for now), with a pretty large amount of RAM too (give it 100MB include display buffers), with file writing (to the disk) in the work.

I may not be able to write a Arduboy simulator, but I’m trying to build a well-documented framework, where, if one wanted, easily migrate their code to create a Windows Desktop program.

A little experiment with “setup” projects …
Setup1setup
I can’t get the code to be signed because how the entire signing process is nonsense, where you would “rent” a certificate for hundreds of dollars a year just to say, “this code is safe and if anything happened to your computer, it’s not the fault for the publisher”.
However, installed items don’t come with the “blocked for safety measures” tag, so that kind of get me where I wanted to go.