Introducing: Arduboy Nano

Ok, that was a huge pain getting the BOM all sorted, I created links for DigiKey and Mouser in there as well and show where you can buy the display and the battery. It comes with the STL files as well as a placement diagram for building it. You can order it with or without the stencil.

As of the time of writing these are all in stock and will ship within 48 hours.

1 Like

Thank you - just completed my order.

Just put 10 more stencil kits on the store! Thanks!

Shipping Update for Nano Kits: I’ll be packing these tomorrow and shipping them on monday.

For orders with stencils… it’s gonna be stupid, they are gonna come in boxes that silly big for what it is, but I have to protect the stainless steel stencils from being bent and I’ve got extra boxes but would have to wait several days for reinforced envelopes to come in so, be sure to recycle!!

1 Like

Forget about kits stencils and BOM’s what this thing needs is a huuuuge magnifying glass. It’s ridiculously tiiiiiny!
But still great :heart_eyes:.

I ordered 2 of these (got an extra one just in case i mess it up) but hadnt gotten around to ordering the components yet… found the OLED pretty easily but where did you get the buttons and the battery? If you dont mind me asking.

When you placed the order you should have got access to a zip file containing the bill of materials. It lists sources where you can order all of the components.

2 Likes

Oh awesome, didnt realize it was attached to the confirmation email, sorry. Just found it, thanks!

1 Like

13 posts were split to a new topic: The Thumby

Hey everyone, I finally got around to soldering this awesome project together :slight_smile:
But I have a few questions regarding the software setup. I’m still quite unexperienced in this field, so maybe someone here can help me out:

When I understand it correctly, the ATmega32u4 can be connected to a PC via USB out of the box? Because the device isn’t getting detected on my windows machine. Or do I need to flash the chip first via the programming pads?

I triple checked all soldering connections, but maybe the IC is dead. (I also haven’t hooked up the OLED and battery yet, but I assume it should work without those?)

I would be very grateful for anybody who could help me out here!

This is my first time seeing this. I have absolutely no idea how you got it this small, I made my Arduboy without flashcart on a 7x5 cm perfboard, and there’s barely any space left :joy: Great job! IMHO this might be more of a novelty, because it’s too small to play comfortably on.

If the ATmega32U4 is “factory fresh”, you’ll have to burn a bootloader into it using the SCK, MOSI, MISO and RESET programming pins. You will need an In Circuit Serial Programmer (ICSP) to do this. If you don’t have a dedicated ICSP, you can use an Arduino as one.

Edit:

It’s good that you haven’t installed these yet. You will be able to program the ATmega32U4 at 5V, powering it from the ICSP, without the possibility of damaging the display, battery or ICSP. Once you’ve successfully burned the bootloader and can see the ATmega32U4 and program it from a PC via USB, you can then install the display and battery.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your quick and detailed answer!
Yes indeed it is factory fresh, so I’ll burn the bootloader with my Arduino :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Additional info:

• I believe you should burn an Arduino Leonardo bootloader.
  • After a burning the bootloader, I think you’ll need to connect the battery and switch it on in order to use the USB connection. (Still no need for the display yet.)
1 Like

Looking at the schematic, I think the values for R7 and R8 are wrong. They should both be 22 ohm, not 560K.

1 Like

Ah you’re right! Already have the 560ks on there, I hope I can get them off again. But I ordered three pcbs, so I consider this the experimental one. Will still try to flash the bootloader first, just to see if the IC is working!
I need a few more things for this, but I’ll let you know if it succeeded!

Looking at the schematic again, if you’re using a standard LiPo battery with a 25mAh capacity, then the value of charge current programming resistor R5 is too low. At 6.8K it would set the charge rate at 147mA, which is close to 6C. The recommended maximum (safe and for longest lifetime) rate for regular LiPo cells is 1C. I would suggest a 47K resistor, which would provide 21ma, about 0.85C.

2 Likes

Thank you for all your tips! I don’t really have a background in electronic engeneering, just like to tinker a bit, so I’m very thankful for this advice! :clap:

Hey Scott, thank you again for your help, I was able to successfully burn the Leonardo bootloader onto the 32u4, using an Arduino Nano! :slight_smile:

1 Like