Introducing Arduflexboy

That’s my friend Aaron, he is the biggest Arduboy fan in the office so I wanted to put him in the video. I think it says “filmote is the coolest” but I’ll ask him tomorrow for sure.

2 Likes

I hope that’s what it says … I have no fanboys at the moment so am looking for one!

1 Like

You know, I really need to start making the soldermask hole smaller than the copper fill on test pads so that the pad is anchored down by the soldermask. It’s a simple change at design time that would virtually eliminate the very common problem I have of lifting off programming pads when wires are soldered to them. This seems a lot more important for flex as the bond between copper and substrate is nowhere near as strong as FR4.

Will you be making any of these to sell? I’ll take one if you get the buttons right.

After I finish making up the rest of these I’ll post up the board files and you can order your own flex pcb from oshpark to make :slight_smile:

I will also not commit to doing anything with the buttons. I don’t have much hope for them TBH. The problem is you can activate them from behind the board too, and it’s difficult to hold it without it flopping over or accidentally hitting one of the other buttons.

1 Like

Lol apparently it’s my cake day too what funny karma.

2 Likes

Happy Cake day dude and congrats on the Arduflexboy…

Quick question, are the files for this already available on github?

Not yet, but soon, which is before eventually. I want to try a few more things first before I let the genie out of the bottle.

1 Like

Sexy flexy! …

It’s so terribly impractical. I love it. :smiley:

Could add a floppy USB-A “connector” too. One that’d require inserting some cardboard wedge to keep contacting the port.

Or micro USB! It looks just about the right thickness to shove into a micro-USB male cable.

1 Like

Stick some paper or cardboard to the back perhaps?


Let me know if the wooden Arduboy becomes a thing. I like wood.

1 Like
1 Like

Yeah, like that. But @Odie1 isn’t mass producing them (or even limited-run producing them).

Now I think about it, maybe I’ll just make my own if I can ever find the time, money, tools and space.

Will do, no plans but maybe when I retire at the end of this year.

So that was the layout for that you posted on twitter. It looks cool. Maybe you could put a thin piece of acrylic at the back to make it more rigid?

Oh man! I’m imagening my replacement backplate in wood now :star_struck: If I was just more wood crafty … :thinking:

1 Like

Status update, the Arduflexboy was asleep all weekend and still had enough power to wake up when I touched the buttons. Not bad!

If you use a bistable power control solution like I put into my VMUboy then standby current would be in the low nA so basically standby mainly determined by battery leakage current.

I just recently found out that it’s possible for atmega to consume < 1uA. (before I got stuch at 240-280uA. But Ironically the Arduboy2 libraries bootPowerSaving() function was the cause of that :joy: )

I’ll be interested to know your code maybe for the next step. :slight_smile:

I’ll update my autopowerdown code soon. Just like to play detective a bit more to find out what actually consumes the extra power / what hardware gets misconfigured after the Power reduction of the ADC is enabled in bootPowerSaving()