Ip data center

Good day everyone! I apologize in advance for the non-Arduboy question. There are probably people in this community who will help me. I want to understand if the IP address changes when my computer is connected to the data center? Or does my ISP’s ip address remain the same? Thank you anyway

Are you asking if your IP address changes or if your internet service provider’s IP address changes?

Apparently I formulated the question incorrectly. Yes, I am interested in my ip address, which is used to access the Internet.
In other words, will the ip address on whatismyip.com change when I am connected to the data center?

I wish I’d asked which you mean sooner.
That’s a much easier question to answer.

The short version is yes, your computer’s IP address changes more or less every time it connects to the internet.

Also, your computer doesn’t actually ‘connect to the data centre’ as such…

The long answer…

Does your IP address change?

An IPv4 address consists of 4 bytes so there are 4,294,967,296 (232) possible IPv4 addresses. (Some of which are reserved for special purposes.)

Typically an ISP will allocate each home 256 consecutive IP addresses, which it does by assigning a fixed value for the first 3 bytes, and allowing the last byte to vary per device.
E.g. your ISP might give you the addresses 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.255.255.

Every time your computer (or any other device) connects to your modem/router, your modem/router assigns it one of those 256 IP addresses at random.
E.g. today you might get 255.255.255.145 and tomorrow you might get 255.255.255.134.
Most routers have an option for allowing a particular device to always use a particular address, but it’s not used very often.

Your actual computer/device doesn’t connect to your ISP’s data centre. Your modem/router may periodically connect to one of your ISP’s data centres periodically to verify that it has the right credentials and is allowed to be provided internet access. As long as your router’s connection is verified by your ISP, it’s allowed to use the network, which in turn meas it’s allowed to give internet access to your other devices.

Effectively the modem/router is a kind of gateway between your devices and the internet, and that gateway is open if the ISP have given it permission to use the network.

I didn’t actually know the answer to “does my ISP’s address change?”, so I got curious and did some digging…

Does your ISP’s address change?

Apparently the connection to the ISP doesn’t actually use the IP protocol. It’s actually a lot more low level.

The connection to the ISP happens directly via the phone line using DSL (Digital Subscriber Line), and the verification happens using the Point-to-Point protocol.

(It was surprisingly hard to pinpoint that information.)

1 Like

First, thanks for the detailed answer. From your message, I learned more about ip than in my entire life :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: secondly, I would like to clarify. Are we talking about a Data processing center (data center) that handles the computing processes for my pc? This is what I had in mind when I tried to frame the question.

1 Like

For example, if I use this service. https://www.edicomgroup.com/

I think you’re thinking of a Central Processing Unit (CPU).

A data (processing) centre is a building with equipment that processes data.

I’m not sure if that counts as a data centre.
They might use a data centre or two, but that’s just an internet service of some kind.

Possibly a ‘cloud’ service.

1 Like

I am interested in exactly dpc

Thanks for the info anyway. Before asking questions, I should have studied the issue and the service in general a little better. Much obliged!

1 Like

For using a ‘cloud’ service, chances are you’ll connect to some specified URL (Uniform Resource Locator, commonly called a ‘web address’ by many), in which case the IP address may or may not change. (The point of having a URL is that the URL is fixed and the IP address is allowed to change.)

The system that resolves the URL to a specific IP address is the Domain Name System (which I mentioned earlier).

So if your question was supposed to be “does a cloud/internet service’s IP address change?”, the answer is probably, but the URL will usually stay fixed.

Even if the IP address doesn’t change, after the initial connection your computer will probably be forwarded to a different server designated to handle the request. The primary server’s job will typically be to pass connections on to other servers so the main server doesn’t get tied up with too many connections.

Note that a cloud service or internet service is not the same as your Internet Service Provider (ISP). Your ISP is the company you pay to actually give you access to the internet. Without them you couldn’t use any kind of internet/cloud service.

1 Like

From your message, I concluded that each cloud service that provides services for the calculation and processing of data has its own unique system, which can somehow affect the IP address of my computer. To find out exactly how, I need to contact each service directly. Correct me if I am wrong.
Or even these services are unable to predict whether my ip address will change when using their service. I hope I didn’t tire you😁

Sorry for the delay replying, I’ve been very busy the past two days.

As far as I’m aware, it shouldn’t affect your IP address unless it’s somehow causing your computer to disconnect from the internet and reconnect.

The same should be true for all other internet-based services including websites and multiplayer video games.

That’s more like it, yes.

Like I say, your IP address may (or may not) change every time you connect and disconnect from the internet. Your modem/router is the thing that chooses your IP address, so only it can predict which address it will give you.

If your IP address changing a problem and you don’t want it to change, you can probably go into your modem/router settings and assign your computer a static IP address (so the modem always gives your computer the same IP address). For most modems/routers you can access the settings by using your web browser to connect to the IP address 192.168.1.1 (which the modem/router interprets as a request to view its settings page) and then providing your login details to prove that you have the authority to edit the settings.

You may also find this article interesting:

1 Like

The wait was worth it! Now everything became very clear. The most surprising thing is that even the employees of the cloud service could not provide me with a specific answer on this issue. I did not think that there are so many pitfalls associated with the ip address. Thanks again!

1 Like

If it was just the customer services people you were talking to,
they might not have known any more about IP addresses than you did.

I don’t want to drag this out too much because it’s an off-topic thing,
but I’m wondering why you were asking customer services about your IP address.

Was your IP changing actually causing you a problem, or were you just curious?

My friend trades on the stock exchange. Some exchanges do not work with Russia for a number of reasons. He is currently trying to find a way to bypass this system by changing the IP address. The account that uses the VPN service is immediately sent to the ban, but the system from the data center can work. As it turned out, some of these companies provide a dedicated server with a personal ip-address (there may be several addresses). Of course, you need to pay extra for this service, but apparently it’s worth it.

1 Like

Ah, ok, that makes sense.