Is 8MB enough memory? [No]

Whereabouts are they?

Actually I never lost interest. I am still super excited but I got loaded with my real time job for 200% the last 6 months. However I did a few things meanwhile to proceed. I think there where a lot of discussions about the layout of the flash but I kind of ignored them. For me the flash was just a block of memory that I can read from. If there is something that I can do to help using this memory, please let me know. I’ve got quite used to it meanwhile.

I’ve chosen 16MiB because I believe that people can create games with big content with this. My project uses like 80KiB at the moment but it is still without many sprites, videos and game screens. Probably it can easily reach 256KiB.

1 Like

At the moment I am writing a script to convert .mod files into ATM2LIB format so people can use trackers to generate sound and music. Then I wanted to check if I can move the data to flash.

1 Like

If I’d just ignored that part and pretended that I can read data from any part of the FX chip then I’d probably have had something written ages ago, but sadly the details of reality make that difficult.

I’m still in favour of making the FX chip behave more like a file system…

Does anyone happen to have a copy of the datasheet for the FX chip?
(Preferably one with the SPI commands it accepts.)

A post was split to a new topic: FX flat file system?

A post was merged into an existing topic: FX flat file system?

16MB – $2 seems a small price for future proofing IMHO.

1 Like

What is the total price on the part number you are looking at? Have you tried this part:

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=IS25LP128F

1 Like

In general terms the cost difference between the modules is about a $1, I am building in another $1 of profit because #business.

4 Likes

I think having 16MB will be able to make game devs have more space to make their dream game, not having the limitations of filling up the storage and still having a short game. And no one will miss that extra $2 anyway. Plus, with all this memory, people can make some insane crap. (pardon my french)

1 Like

The people have spoken, 16MB it shall be.

7 Likes

Yay! Big boi memory.

Wait is this going to be a Arduboy 2.0?

Arduboy mod chip that upgrades your Arduboy to an Arduboy FX, or you can buy a customized pre-modded version! “Soon”

5 Likes

: O
I can’t wait!!!

2 Likes

I’ve been optimizing ATMlib earlier this week (kicking out some ~100bytes and some cycles in the ISR. But does your WIP game use ATMlib2? I should probably start looking at ATMlib2

1 Like

Cool i will be able to buy one in 3 months when my old house will be sold

Yes at the moment I am using ATMlib2 because I thought it is the most recent one. But I am not bound to it. I basically put it in to reserve code/data space and performance so I can see if the game still performs well when sounds and music is played.
I am still in the learning phase because I am a total music noob but I understood that this is very essential for the game.
The ATMlib2 I am using takes ~10ms of performance. This is at least what I measured when playing a score while the game runs. So any performance you can squeeze out of it is very well appreciated.
As far as I can see most of the time is spend in the command processing in the ISR but I have not yet analyzed what and if anything can be done here.

If we a going to add flashcart support to this library there might be the need to “unroll” all the patterns to be able to do a constant read from the flash without jumping. It would also require the main loop to prefetch the pattern data so the ISR can work solely on the prefetched data.

Shortly, this will be available:

You will have as much memory as you need :smiley: , I waiting for the prototype to arrive, if everything is OK, immediately will be available for purchase.

1 Like