It’s heating up [Weather, International]

It’s supposed to be around that temp here in the next few days. Not so much snow though, don’t really get that anymore.

Though it didn’t go from 100f to 5f in a few days
I think I would have shell shock from traveling like that.

@eried don’t the scandanavian countries celebrate with that fermented ground shark?

(Pharap) #42

A fraction of that amount of snow would have the gritters out and schools closed in Britain.

Over here only the big cities like Bristol, Manchester and London get busses with wifi.

(I’ve only ever been on one bus with wifi.)

I have no clue what this is.
The internet doesn’t seem to know either.

Sunne Boller?

Is that ‘feet of snow’ or ‘farenheit’?

Hákarl?

(I don’t think sharks live in the ground. :P)

Fahrenheit, feet is ft. We haven’t gotten more than 3’ of snow in years here.

(Pharap) #44

I had to double check, seeing farenheit in use is really unusual for people from the countries that don’t use it.
(Which to be fair is most countries.)

(Scott R) #45

It’s pretty common for people in the UK to use °F for tropical fish and exotic pets yet use °C for the weather.
Do a stint on site with the older blokes and you’ll work with measurements like “Eight foot n ten mil”.

(Erwin) #46

Yes.

Maybe, everyone is pretty alcoholic here in general. I do not drink so I have no idea of this part.

(Kevin) #47

-40 degrees is the same in both

(Pharap) #48

I can’t think why that would be the case.
Exotic pets aren’t that common these days though.

Aparently 0.5% keep lizards and 0.4% keep snakes.
(I don’t know if tortoises count as ‘exotic’ or not.)

No mention of tarantulas though…
I used to be know someone who had a tarantula.

Feet and inches are still used to measure people, but for other things the old system is dying out slowly.
I can honestly say I’ve never heard anyone use mils. (I’m assuming that’s 'thousandths of an inch?)

I don’t think the phrase ‘pint’ will ever die out though, even if it’s technically not a pint anymore in some cases.

As far as I can make out the literal translation is ‘healthy buns’ (though google insists it’s ‘game balls’).
Unfortunately all the recipes I could find were in Norwegian.

I let Google translate have a go at trying to translate a few recipes. They sound quite nice.

(Most of the recipes specify specific brands of product rather than specifying the kind of product (e.g. ‘Sukrin Gold’ rather than just ‘a sugar supplement’), so I am left wondering whether these brands have been throwing some money around to get in some subtle advertising.)

The article didn’t mention anything about alcohol being used to prepare the shark.
Unless fermenting the shark somehow produces alcohol?

I think he was implying you would need a heavy drink before being able to even consider eating that stuff

(Simon) #50

I got really excited when I saw a bar In Adelaide near the place I was staying advertising cheap pints … turns out an Adelaide pint is 425ml (what the rest of Australia would call a schooner). Take note @uXe

(Scott R) #51

Millimetres they actually jump from imperial to metric in one measurement.

I recently bought carpet by the yard also.

A lot of species have been discovered by Dutch and German explorers (ichthyologists) during the 1800’s possibly it’s a trend that carried over when referencing literature.
I don’t know how things are these days but years ago quality fish brought into the UK were Dutch bred and the ropey cheap stuff came in from farms around Thailand.
I only keep one tropical fish and some turtles these days so I’m out of touch with the exotics trade.

Liquor laws can be pretty different based on the state but underserving a pint doesn’t fly.
Unless it’s at a sports game, then people will happily pay for a “large” 10$ beer that has as much liquid as the 8$ “small”, both served in a little plastic cup that I doubt is a pint.

(Shawn) #53

Use of the mil is common (at least in the US) for pcb design. Also sometimes referred to as a “thou”.

(Pharap) #54

An excellent illustration of why standardisation is a good thing™.

Weird.

True, miles and yards are still in use.

Though in all honesty I’m not quite sure how far a yard is,
they didn’t teach us about yards in school.

Hrm, plausible. ‘Reference literature’ tends to be slow to be updated.

I don’t know anyone who keeps tropical fish, so I wouldn’t know either.

Aparently pet ownership has been declining in recent years.
2013 was the peak and then it dropped significantly in 2014 and 2015.
Since then the drop has been less dramatic, but still dropping.
(And before anyone suggest it, it was dropping before the Brexit vote.)

Yeah, I saw the article, which is why I asked.

Speaking of PCBs and inches, that reminds me of how many electronics sites (Sparkfun, Adafruit etc) take pictures of their boards next to quarters instead of a ruler.

(Nice logo by the way.)

(Kea Oliver) #55

From this I have discovered the reason Pharap knows everything is because he googles everything. WITH REFERENCES. Thats amazing. Currently here in the UK I have about 1 inch of awful snow ruining everything.

(Shawn) #56

Yeah I’ve seen everything from quarters to bananas to respresent scale in pictures online lol. Also thanks, I finally got around to setting my logo to that of my youtube channel, glad you like it.

(Simon) #57

Three feet equals a yard. That’s roughly two cubits.

(Pharap) #58

That’s a lot less than I was expecting, ~9cm short of 1 metre.

Which definition of a cubit though? It’s varied drastically over time.

Just to be awkard, 1 foot (30.48cm) is slightly more than 1 shaku (30.3cm) but less than 1 chi (33​.33cm).

And a bit of random trivia:
The phrase “the journey of a thousand miles…” was actually originally “the journey of a thousand li…”

(Kevin) #59

While we are on the subject of units and measurement and related to Arduboy I always thought it was fascinating that we’ve arrived at a mostly standard unit of size for credit cards or business cards. I imagine like many years ago people trying to hand each other post-card sized business cards and just like, “this isn’t working, we need to go smaller”.

We’re having that technology discussion right now with cell phones what is the ideal size.

(Kea Oliver) #60

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_7810 ED1 apparently, wonder how they decided on it though. Hmmmm.