IVBOY - Programable Scientific RPN Calculator

Hi all!

Despite of the lack of 6 keys only I tried to make the “best Arduboy-Calculator available”.
As the executable file has 15k only - there is still plenty room for improvement (ie Complex Numbers, Matrices).

See a short video at: https://youtu.be/NNGXt9OnyTY

and more information at: https://github.com/zooxo/ivboy

Have fun - regards
deetee

4 Likes

Awesome!!!

I support all Arduboy Calculator Apps! I have a dream of making Arduboy into a calculator actually.

Give it more buttons and leave some program like this on default, but you can also swap out games.

With an exposed i2c port you can easily add io for an external button matrix that could attach onto the arduboy

Wow, I never know you could simulate a scientific calculator! Even on something like the Arduboy.

Just to let you know: you need to include (parts of) the Arduboy2 LICENSE.txt file (or its contents) as part of the documentation because you’ve ‘borrowed’ several bits of code from the Arduboy2 library (like this bit and this bit).

2 Likes

Dear Kevin!

I like your Arducalcardcade approach: Solid, cheap, credit card sized, low power (LCD, Soft-On/Off-Switch), open hardware (USB), battery (CR2032?).

I would love to order “a bunch” of them.

But the keyboard is the sticking point: A foil keyboard was the major mistake Swissmicros made when developing the “expensive precision instrument” DM15. “Real keys” (even made of some kind of rubber) are the one and only solution for calculator freaks or gamers.

But there might be an “economical” compromise to a real-key-keyboard: Some kind of touch sensor keybord (like i used it for my IVTINY project). The keys need to be big enough for normal fingers - so a maximum of 4x4 (which should be convenient enough for calculators and game consoles) can be placed on the credit card.
The biggest advantage is the key printing: A foil (even printed by the user!) can show individual keyprintings for the particular application.
Some disadvantages (no tactile feedback, interferences, keypresses from the backside) can be solved “by design”.

Regards
deetee

I would build it with snap domes on the top layer :slight_smile:

A 4x4 button array would allow one to sort of preserve the current button layout but have a lot more buttons available for input.

1 Like