Jesse's Arduboy Clone

Here’s a clone I made:

There’s a volume knob and a female header slot for mounting the display sideways. The 3d printed part on the back is used to prevent getting poked by soldered pins.

I haven’t been able to upload .HEX files using any of the upload programs.

7 Likes

Cool idea of adding an volume control. Did you add an amplifier too? Those voice example sketches will sound much better through a normal speaker.

CS goes to GND. Speaker pin 2 and RGB were left out.

Anyone know what controller this display uses? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PCS-1-3-OLED-module-blue-color-SPI-128X64-1-3-inch-OLED-LCD-LED-Display/32683117916.html

I get a partial image on the screen.

1.3" are usually SH1106. The Arduboy’s 1.3" display uses the SSD1306 but that’s not common.

Looking more closely it appears that C2 is missing on the back.

Anyone know what the value is?

Without knowing what it’s connected to, it’s hard to say. The photo isn’t clear enough to see where the traces go and it appears that some may be routed to the other side of the board.

It’s possible that it was determined it wasn’t necessary, so not having it installed is correct.

Toying around I flashed a pro micro with the wrong hex that corrupted the boot loader causing garbled screen issues on following sketches (over serial I’m waiting for oled) reflashing the bootloader fixed it so this might be something to consider.

1 Like

The closest I can find is this:

(And several different boards with roughly the same arrangement, but all have a C2 soldered on.)

looking at your screenshot, it looks like the top 8 pixels are blank. Like those just get updated and most of the screen contains random pixels from powering on.
Having just one display row updated is a characteristic for the SH1106 as it only supports page mode. You can try uploading one of my test toy hex files ending with 1106 from below to see if the display uses a SH1106 controller:

1 Like

Thanks Blinky. Three of your test files worked: leonardo-1106, micro-1106, and promicro-1106.

My 2.42" came in the mail but is shifted in other games by about half. Which library file needs to be edited to get that working? It works with the same test program your wrote.

4 Likes

Install my Arduboy board package then you can easily select your target variant pro Micro SH1106 for the 1.3" display and pro Micro SSD1309 for the 2.42" one.

Also make sure you remove the Arduboy and Arduboy2 libraries from your sketchbook or they will overrule the ones in the board package

3 Likes

By ‘sketchbook’ do you mean the libraries folder?

I’m pretty sure you can use #include "Arduboy2.h" to give preference to local files rather than the library folder files.

Sorry yes.

Remove the Arduboy and Arduboy2 libraries from the libraries folder in your sketchbook folder.
You can open preferences to find the location. On Windows this is usually:

%userprofile%/documents/arduino/libraries/
1 Like

Or what I did, have a portable instance or two of the IDE just for messing around with. Download the zipped version and extract anywhere, add a ‘portable’ folder within, done.

2 Likes

This is why if I ever supply an executable I try to make it portable.
I like the simple ‘unzip and go’ software model.
Having heavyweight installers for things is a pain in the backside.

3 Likes

That last step is often forgotten by those who don’t read the instructions and end up using the same locations as the installer.

When usng the portable version with portable folder created, the sketchbook location in preferences will read sketchbook in that case the installed arduboy and arduboy2 libraries need to be removed from < path to portable Arduino IDE >/portable/libraries/

or you could create a seperate portable version of the Arduino IDE as mentioned for just using the board package .

I can’t agree more with that :slight_smile:

I totally dislike msi installers, they are even copied into Windows.

1 Like

This 128x64 color TFT screen could be used for letting the user choose the color of the display using a library variable.

jpg_220x220

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/0-96-inch-7P-SPI-262K-Color-OLED-Module-ST7735S-Drive-IC-128-64/32812957289.html

They say it’s OLED but it’s actually a TFT because it has a backlight.

1 Like

The smallest color mode is 12-bit color so each pixel is 1.5 bytes. where 128x64 black/white is 1/8th of a byte per pixel. In other words sending a picture to the color TFT display takes 12 times as much time as the normal black/white one. So it would only be usable for low frame rates.

1 Like

Mr. Blinky, how can I burn the new Cathy 3k bootloader on Windows? I’m using a clone running Arduino Pro Micro.