Journey To The Moon – Game Jam 3

Emulator Link (immediately playable online, although there’s one little glitch): here
[Thanks @Fmanga!]

Hex File: here

Github Link (normal installation): here
Install the game as usual; there are a few needed libraries such as Ardbitmap.

Edit: My code is wack, please don’t read it :^)

Screenshots!

48%20AM
29%20AM

About
Despite not having anything to do with a journey to the moon, the game is a 2D sidescrolling platformer with RPG elements including the ability to use a weapon to attack, a health and experience bar, and an attack stat. The general backstory involves aliens invading your planet, and the player hunting them down because it’s sort of fun.

More Info and Possibly Spoilers
(Maybe it’ll be more fun to discover this stuff by yourself.)

Controls:
A/B to scroll through text

Left/Right to move
A to jump
B to attack
Down to “fastfall”

As the creator of this game, I’m pretty unhappy to leave it like this, but I’m kind of forced to due to my workload. The only “space wars” element to the game are the alien sprites, so I decided to focus more on Kusoge. Asides from the passive enemies, the two other types are intentionally poorly designed – both of them can potentially (or at least come close to) “one-shot” the player. The game is manageable until the last four enemies, which all have absurd damage and health. In order to kill all four, one would likely have to die a few times.

The title refers to what I originally envisioned the game to be, I kept it the same despite it being irrelevant because I think it’s funny.

Note: it is very easy and possible to go through the entire region while being “pacifist”, this can be somewhat fun.

8 Likes

This game has great controls and it reminds me a little bit of SanSan from Game Jam 2.0. The fastfall is movement is also really slick!

Maybe add some screen shots?

3 Likes

Thanks! Screenshots added! :smiley:

1 Like

I love this game so much.

The text really adds a lot to it, takes me to Arduboy flavortown, and I really learned a lot about sleep.

Controls are good and fun, and the combat works really well (oh boy I was bamboozled with the aliens that shoot parabolic projectiles)

The level doesn’t reset when I die, though, not sure if that was intentional or not.

Awesome job

edit: the combat’s actually so satisfying I finished it twice

1 Like

This game is a smooth platformer. I like it a lot.

1 Like

Thanks so much Jonathan! The knowledge about sleep is really essential to the gameplay in my opinion and as my dad once told me when I was a kid, “Sleep is associated with a state of muscle relaxation and reduced perception of environmental stimuli. Sleep is a naturally recurring state of mind and body, characterized by altered consciousness, relatively inhibited sensory activity, inhibition of nearly all voluntary muscles, and reduced interactions with surroundings.[1] It is distinguished from wakefulness by a decreased ability to react to stimuli, but is more easily reversed than the state of being comatose. Sleep occurs in repeating periods, in which the body alternates between two distinct modes: REM sleep and non-REM sleep. Although REM stands for “rapid eye movement”, this mode of sleep has many other aspects, including virtual paralysis of the body. A well-known feature of sleep is the dream, an experience typically recounted in narrative form, which resembles waking life while in progress, but which usually can later be distinguished as fantasy.”

As for the level resetting, maintaining your xp was intentional, so you could hardcore farm those aliens :^)

Thank you! I wish I had the time to do more, but then there’s homework and stuff :confused:
Glad you enjoyed it!

Whoa! This is really detailed! Good job!

Dang, a celebrity commenting on this! :grinning:

Thanks crait!

2 Likes

XD I’m no celebrity!!

2 Likes