Over the last few months, I have made a version of one of my favourite childhood games - Karateka!
The source code can be found here > https://github.com/filmote/Karateka
The compiled HEX and Arduboy files can be found here > https://github.com/filmote/Karateka/tree/master/distibutable
Karateka is a 1984 martial arts action game by Jordan Mechner, and was his first published game, created while attending Yale University. It was originally programmed for the Apple II, then widely ported.
The player controls an unnamed protagonist who is attempting to rescue his love interest, the Princess Mariko, from Akuma’s castle fortress. The game exhibits a combination of a side-scrolling platform and fighting game elements similar to a beat 'em up. The player uses punches and kicks to defeat Akuma and his guards and make his way deeper into the fortress.
About this Beta
Although not quite finished, I have released this version to solicit feedback and suggestions. Currently the game is consuming nearly all of the available memory so the changes will need to be prioritised on merit and size.
We already have a ‘to do’ list for the next version which will hopefully be in a few weeks:
- [x] Add music. This is currently being completed by @JayGarcia using the ATMLib2.
- [ ] Add closing scene where we fight the Akuma.
- [ ] Add ‘ceiling’ graphics to inside scenes. I have tried but they are all too heavy and clumsy.
- [ ] Upgrade the final scene to be closer to the original.
- [ ] Add different heads on the enemies.
- [ ] Add starting story / text.
The following screenshots show some of the scenes from the game. Fight the various soldiers, avoid the Akuma’s eagle and save Mariko.
While in the fighting stance:
- Up, right or down - while holding A or B: Kick or punch up, middle or down.
- Left or right - while not holding A or B: Sidle left or right.
- A Button - Move to kick ready.
- B Button - Move to punch ready.
- Up Button - Move to upright stance.
While in Upright stance:
- Right Button - Run to the right.
- Down Button - Move to fighting stance.
- A Button - Skip animation.
Look out for Version 1.0 with sound!
I hope you enjoy the game.
Look out for version 1.0 which at a minimum will include @JayGarcia’s title music and sound effects. Memory permitting, I will be able to squeeze a few more things into the release. @dxb has hinted that he may look for space savings which will enable me to do more!