Love Tester

A homage to the strange mind of Gunpei Yokoi.

テスター、テスター、ラブテスター!
愛情テスト、ラブテスター!

I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to get something made in time,
but I’ve managed to cobble it together at the last minute.

I would have liked to have added sound,
but I didn’t have time to faff around with that.
Maybe I’ll add it another time.

LoveTester.hex (33.4 KB)

How to use

Testing requires two people*.

One person must hold the left directional button while the other person must hold the right directional button.
The buttons must be held for 5 seconds, during which time the needle will fluctuate.
After 5 seconds the needle will stop, indicating its final reading.
If either button is released before the 5 seconds have elapsed,
the tester will reset and the procedure must be started from the beginning.

(* Humans not included.)

Legal Disclaimers

Pharap Inc is not responsible for any emotional distress, break down of relationship, life changing decisions, electric shocks or loss of limb experienced as a result of using the Love Tester.

Readings may be inaccurate, inconsistent or fallacious.

Health & Safety

• Do not make important life changing decisions based on the results of your test
  • Do not immerse the Love Tester in water
  • Do not put your fingers in electrical outlets
  • Do not feed your mogwai after midnight
  • If symptoms persist, consult your doctor immediately
9 Likes

You did! And you did it great! You are in the JAM!

Oh, Good old times! :stuck_out_tongue: very cool idea! I will have some fun with it:)

1 Like

You might like to add some instructions. I had no idea how this worked until I read the code!

1 Like

I did think about writing some last night, but it was late.
I’ll add some as soon as I get chance.

I’ve added some instructions as well as various important legal disclaimers and health and safety notices, be sure to read them.

This is really neat! I tried this with only myself twice, and both times it got below twenty. I wonder what that means.
I wasn’t even aware that Gunpei Yokoi made this up until now. Also a nice tribute to him in the credits. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Self-loathing. :P

Without Yokoi-san Nintendo would still be making hanafuda cards.

Nintendo also likes to add homages to him in their games.
In Majora’s Mask 3D there’s a Love Tester on the table in the Great Bay Marine Research Lab, in Animal Crossing New Leaf you can obtain a Love Tester, an Ultra Hand, an Ultra Machine, an Ultra Scope and a Ten Billion Barrel. The list goes on…

1 Like

Wubba lubba dub dub!! :upside_down_face:

Makes me wonder if gaming would be even as big as it is if it wasn’t for him. I personally doubt it. I don’t think it would be dismissed as “just a fad”, but the industry wouldn’t be nearly as big.

Never owned a 3DS around when it released. When it was out, I was more interested in the PS3 and PS4, plus it was too pricey. I got a Zelda Edition 2DS about two years ago but got bored of it and sold it off to GameStop. I regret that decision to this day. :frowning:

1 Like