Man, it's so quiet in here

(Scott R) #21

Its all catch and release mostly except for trout and salmon or sea fishing apart from the Eastern Europeans who “poach” nobody really eats freshwater fish here these days.
Eel is popular on fish stalls and pie n mash shops and you can actually take a specific amount of fish from rivers under old laws and crayfish with a licence but not many really bother.

I’m surprised people don’t do it in ausland. Seems like something they could get down with
Guess there’s too many box jellies and other killer fauna to mess around.

(Simon) #23

There’s a saying in Australia … ‘if it moves, it kills’.

Crocodiles, alligators, jelly-fish, snakes, great white sharks and those nasty Koalas. Even a big red Kangaroo can kick the crap out of you and they have nasty claws.

(Scott R) #24

I’m often asked if I would go to Oz my answer is even the trees can kill you.

(Pharap) #25

Muskrats? In Britain?

Snakes do exist in Britain, but there’s only one venomous kind (the adder) and the last time anyone died from getting bitten by one (in Britain) was 1975.

I thought the cliché about Londoners eating jellied eels was just a stereotype.

You forgot blue-ringed octopuses and the nice variety of spiders.
Also platypuses, they can’t kill you, but stepping on one is apparently excruciatingly painful.

At least the wombats can’t hurt you, right? … right? …

(Scott R) #26

So cute even with their Chlamydia

(Simon) #27

I think you are thinking of Echidna’s - platypi are soft and squishy but have sharp claws so can probably scratch.

They are tough little bastards. An old school friend crashed his car into one and it stoved the entire front in and they had to get a tow truck The wombat just walked off into the bush as if nothing happened.

Danger rating: 10/10

1. Box jellyfish (Chironex fleckeri)

Danger rating: 9/10

1. Honey bee (Apis mellifera)
  2. Irukandji (Carukia barnesi)

Danger rating: 8/10

1. Bull shark (Carcharhinus leucas)
  2. Eastern brown snake (Pseudonaja textilis)
  3. Saltwater or estuarine crocodile (Crocodylus porosus)
  4. Sydney funnel web spider (Atrax robustus)

Danger rating: 7/10

1. Blue-ringed octopus (Genus Hapalochlaena)
  2. Coastal taipan (Oxyuranus scutellatus)
  3. Common death adder (Acanthopis antarticus)
  4. Cone shells (Conus sp.)
  5. Dugite or spotted brown snake (Pseudonaja affinis)
  6. Mulga snake (Pseudechis australis)
  7. Red-bellied black snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus)
  8. Tiger shark (Galeocerdo cuvier)
  9. Tiger snake (Notechis scutatus)
  10. Great white shark (Carcharodon carcharias)
  11. Yellow-bellied sea snake (Pelamis platurus)

Danger rating: 6/10

1. Bluebottle (Physalia physalis)
  2. Common lionfish (Pterois volitans)
  3. Collett’s snake (Pseudechis colletti)
  4. Highland copperhead (Austrelaps ramsayi)
  5. Inland taipan (Oxyuranus microlepidotus)
  6. Redback spider (Lactodectus hasselti)
  7. Reef stonefish (Synanceia verrucosa)
  8. Smooth toadfish (Tetractenos glaber)
  9. Blue-bellied black snake (Pseudechis guttatus)

Danger rating: 5/10

1. Australian paralysis tick (Ixodes holocyclus)
  2. Bull ant (Myrmercia pilosula)
  3. Giant centipede (Ethmostigmus rubripes)

(Scott R) #28

Soft squishy and one of the few mammals that can produce venom.

But let’s face it you’ve more chance dying of laughter at their looks than anything else.

(Simon) #29

I forgot about the venom. They are really quite rare (but not endangered) in Australia and few people have seen one in the wild. Apparently when Joseph Banks (a British Botanist) described the platypus after his return to England, they thought he was taking the piss.

That list left off the Tassie devil.

Blue ringed octopus wouldn’t be in a freshwater lake to my knowledge. I don’t think noodlers fish for anything else besides catfish so it’s not a technique you would apply to the ocean. Even without teeth the hill arches are sharp enough to spread your hand if you grab the catfish wrong.

Maybe @filmote should make a 20ways to die in Ozland game next. Could of been a fit for the game jam too.

When Is The Next Game Jam
(Simon) #31

That is genius … I will need help from a graphic artist though, @Vampirics or @luxregina ??

It could be a Steve Irwin tribute. Watch out for the stingrays (also not on the list).

Kawalas in withdraw from eucalyptus would be a good secret boss

(Simon) #33

Absolutely … drunken little critters - but don’t call them bears or they get really nasty.

(Pharap) #34

@Keyboard_Camper beat me to it because I had to go drain my pasta.

Nope, platypuses. The males have venous spurs on their hind limbs..

(Side note: platypi, much like octopi, is hypercorrect.)

Well, they say the best offence is a good defence.

But no actual tigers?

I was about to say tasmanian tiger, but they’re extinct sadly.

In Australia I wouldn’t rule it out.

(Simon) #35

Actually no one in Australia would call it them platypi - we would say platypussies.

No, the Tasmanian Tiger is unfortunately extinct. The last captive one died in the 1930s but people keep report seeing them. Then again they are Tasmanian’s (insert Welsh joke here).

Oops … sorry, I replied to early above!

(Nicole Birgel) #36

I am always around here😉

(cyril guichard) #37

I’m actually about to post in that general section for help from whoever can provide insights on openGL.

The development of “Maze of Doom” has hit some bottlenecks but hopefully we should have news soon. I’m taking a 2 weeks “vacation” before I revert back preparing my Unity classes for September…

So I decided to code completely from scratch a doom clone in processing and so far, it’s going sort of OK…

Which means that for someone that never done a FPS, I have now 3 FPS in progress: one in Unity, one in Processing, and one on Arduino… and it really covers a pretty wide range of graphic styles!!! :slight_smile:

(Scott R) #38

Nah most are too drunk and will be like “eh bro look at that funky cat”.

But “bro” is more that place that’s left off all the maps with the little bird made from fruit.

Maybe “eh mate that Sheila’s got a funny waddle”.

(Gavin Atkin) #39

TEAM a.r.g. has at least one game in the works for Arduboy. Not a sprawling RPG like Arduventure was, but a fun arcade game :slight_smile:

Maybe it’s quiet here as everybody is too busy coding ? :stuck_out_tongue: