Merry Ardu-holidays! 🎄

(Kevin) #21

Yah, but I’m not exposing the data set so the pin is still a fuzzy indicator. You’re right I’m probably on the gray area side of things on this with the GDPR, but I believe I’m exempt as Arduboy has less than 250 employees.

And I guess I playing god with the decision the cool factor outweighs any potential risk of someone knowing that you bought an Arduboy. I probably wouldn’t be doing this if I sold pregnancy tests.

(Pharap) #22

As @Kea_Oliver says, they do in some areas of Britain.
Sometimes even a particular side of a street.

Each postcode unit generally represents a street, part of a street, a single address, a group of properties, a single property, a sub-section of the property, an individual organisation or (for instance Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) a subsection of the organisation

@Keyboard_Camper’s image mentions the postcode unit but didn’t exactly give an expression of just how specific they are,
so that’s what I’m going to do now.

I checked with the royal mail postcode finder to see how many addresses some of the published postcodes cover.

• The one in Bridgwater covers 34 addresses.
  • The one in Exceter covers 12 addresses.
  • The one in Truro covers 10 addresses.
  • The one in Liskeard covers just 6 addresses.

I’ll admit I picked ones in rural areas rather than big cities,
but I’m using real examples here.

Hopefully this makes it clear why it might be a cause for concern.
(And I’m sorry for whoever lives in Liskeard.)

(I’ve actually been to Bridgwater for the famous Bridgwater carnival.)

Having less than 250 employees only affects the kind of records you have to keep about processing activities.
(The magic ‘250’ is only mentioned in article 30).

All it means is that you don’t have to keep detailed records of data processing activities.
(Unless certain specific conditions apply, which I don’t believe is the case here.)

Apart from a one-person company is just as bound by the GDPR as any larger company.

(Kevin) #23

Well I guess if I get fined by the EU we will know. Is anyone actually concerned about this, or is this just a point of contention? I can take it down if anyone can identify a specific concern.

In unrelated news since we are kind off topic in this area, Nintendo guides are just as hard if not harder to find than Arduboy guides, I don’t feel so bad!

(Simon Merrett) #24

Westcountry! I’m in Bovey Tracey. I wonder who my local arduboy fans are…

(Simon) #25

Nope    

(Kevin) #26

Happy 2019! Happy New Year!