Using @Mr.Blinky’s bootloader is a good way to instantly gain yourself 1K or 2K of space, but it means that only those comfortable with using a custom bootloader would be able to enjoy that version of the game…
We have already used the NO_USB function in the Arduboy library - can the two co-exist?
I have cathy3k on all my Arduboys it works fine with NO_USB.
I need to check for some updates but with the board package version (1.2.5) I have at the moment compiling with Arduino 1.8.7.
Compiled for Arduboy standard arduino core:
Sketch uses 28062 bytes (97%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28672 bytes. Global variables use 1607 bytes (62%) of dynamic memory, leaving 953 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2560 bytes
Sketch uses 28062 bytes (94%) of program storage space. Maximum is 29696 bytes. Global variables use 1607 bytes (62%) of dynamic memory, leaving 953 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2560 bytes.
Sketch uses 28062 bytes (91%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes. Global variables use 1607 bytes (62%) of dynamic memory, leaving 953 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2560 bytes.
Holding down on title screen still triggers the bootloder but I get a nice USB logo and breathing led also
Using Arduino 1.8.5 and @Mr.Blinky’s 1.2.3 for stock Arduboy resulted in a sketch too large.
How do we get the masses to switch to Cathy2K?
I am a little concerned about publishing a game using this if most people are unaware / unable / unwilling to switch.
Keep releasing awesome games that are too big for stock
Actually I’ve thought about this and
I tried convincing Kevin to use the bootloader on Arduventure units.
I thought about getting some clips and programmers in circulation where users post on to the next.
Considered offering a free service
Sometimes that extra space is not what it cut out to be I once added sound to D&U and hated it
Sound? I would have added more levels or monsters!
Pay it forward? That’s a nice idea.
Could disable interrupts while rendering, but then you’d have gaps in the sound…
This is the reason why some sound chips can be set to run actual algorithms/equations.
No idea which game he meant, you’d have to ask him.
It’s likely that he started making something and then got sidetracked with all the other miracles he’s been pulling off.
(I can relate to that
Strike that - turns out those glitches were nothing to do with my additions, just some side-effect of compiling with Arduino IDE 1.8.6 / 1.8.7?!
Here’s an updated hex file compiled under 1.8.5 with no glitches and louder music!
And here’s the revised code:
I switched to using Timer 4, to be able to have complementary PWM running on both speaker pins (I hadn’t realised how quiet it sounded on an actual Arduboy because I always use my homemade rig with a bigger piezo!)
Really great now that the graphics are not corrupted, just needs a little more variation now. Thanks for helping making it even better!
Wow! That’s one nice successful delve!
Now should we add the dungeon key variant in…
I’m not 100% convinced the key offers much but then I normally go for taps anyway.
They only forces you to choose to go for a trap at least once before getting to the boss. So basically makes you choose when is the best time to go take a risk with a trap because the key for the boss room is hidden in a trap room. You could still evade the trap and get the key without being hurt. It’s a small addition. Nothing too major.
Don’t think I’ll be beating this score anytime soon… (have found the best strategy for me is to accumulate armour early on at the expense of everything else!)
I am busy implementing the skill check on the event screen. I don’t think it will make it any harder but will give you some options as you progress through the game.
We are also adding some nice graphical touches … stay tuned!
That’s a nice score! On hard I can’t get more then 117 myself… And on hell…well let’s say it’s called hell for a reason