New Arduboy Subreddit

I don’t know how many people are aware, but the arduboy subreddit (r/Arduboy) is kind of desolate now. Only approved users can make posts, and there hasn’t been a new one in almost a year. To rectify this I made another Arduboy subreddit for discussion/questions/news/game update news that would be more easily accessible on reddit than on here for example. I plan to have some engaging activities like polls on the best arduboy games in each category, ranked through votes, and post troubleshooting or help threads, etc.

the new subreddit is r/Arduboy_ if people want to join or apply to moderate/help control the sub

FYI I did submit a trademark claim against the first Arduboy to try and wrestle back control but I haven’t heard anything back.

That makes sense, the few mods that sub has haven’t posted or commented in at least 2 years, and reddit is kinda slow about shifting subs over. It sucks because there are a couple things that could make it into a nice active community

Don’t click on the mods of the sub they are adult content bots :frowning:

:grimacing: yeah, I found out the hard way earlier. I keep NSFW blur on so it wasn’t horrible, but still

It’s really frustrating to me that I bought the trademark specifically so I could enforce it online but I’ve never been able to have any success from any website on trying to use it so I guess you need to have your lawyer send the letter instead of using the stupid online tools.

I’d love to get the Arduboy twitter handle too…

1 Like

It would be nice if you could obtain control of the GitHub account, as well.

1 Like

Does someone else have the @arduboy on Twitter? Huh. I just checked, someone does. Their description even says “Nothing to do with the game device, sorry guys!” It seems weird not to change it, if you are already doing that.

But yeah tech companies and stuff are notoriously slow when it comes to stuff like verification, changing of usernames to rightful owners. It really sucks that most of the time people appeal to the person who has it rather than the company because it’s faster and cheaper.

You can always appeal to r/redditrequest if you haven’t already. It might not work, but its worth a shot, especially since the original sub is pretty much dead now.

Oh hah! I didn’t see he changed his description lol.

When I started the company I had some people try to contact him to buy the username from him but he wasn’t active at the time. Maybe I could try again.

I am not sure why you would want to split conversation across multiple channels - it can only hurt this site which in turn would Arduboy sales if the information and conversation is fragmented.

2 Likes

I think the forum here has always been more active anyway.
By the time I even heard about the first Reddit group the tumbleweeds were rolling along.

To be honest I think it makes more sense to keep everything central anway.
As @filmote said, why divide the conversation?

As far as I’m aware anything that can be done on Reddit can be done here.

E.g. Polls

Example Poll
  • Pirate
  • Monkey
  • Robot
  • Ninja

0 voters

@filmote @Pharap Personally, I don’t think I would want the Reddit group to divide the conversation or be independent of this forum. I don’t think it necessarily has to do with what we can do on each platform, but more of an extension to the community. You could reach more people in a simpler way through Reddit, I think, and it has the benefit to be a central non-complex discussion area that would be beneficial to people on mobile devices.

I think the main benefit of a Reddit page and a Twitter community (account plus its followers) is to reach more people, easily and people can interact with your community on an app that they are using for other activities/forums.

They can see Arduboy news/discussion in their feed without actively checking the community posts. (Also Reddit has a live chat/feed that people in this community might be interested in idk)

Not to say that it would be standalone, I think it would be nice to have links to a bunch of community chosen games ranked, and have links to community updates. A bunch of people with real Arduboys or clones don’t know about this forum, and the subreddit may be a way to introduce them to that or keep them updated through their phone.

I don’t really know If it would work out the way I’m envisioning, but that’s my opinion/reasoning I guess.

And @bateske judging by the description and the fact that the guy posted last month and is fairly active, he seems possibly open to leaving the username and I say give it a go.

There was a slack group at one stage too … it died off slowly.

I don’t use any platforms like twitter but see how they can drum up interest and direct the traffic back here. Like the defunct slack channel, I see Reddit as second, parallel universe of conversation. I have been involved in other hobbies where the forum died off because people moved to an FB page. The problem with these mediums is the information gets lost and it eventually just becomes people shouting into the void.

Then again, I am just a grumpy old man so what do I know :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It would be divisive simply by virtue of who does and doesn’t use it.
You’d end up with a load of regular users who don’t visit the Reddit being ignorant of what goes on there.
(Some of us are already ignorant of any Arduboy-related conversation that happens on Twitter.)

Does this forum not already fit that bill? Is it somehow failing in that job?

Notice you say ‘Twitter community’, which implies that it would be a separate ‘community’ to the one we have here, hence the concern about division.

I can see how Twitter might do that if it somehow leads to someone being more likely to accidentally stumble upon the Arduboy, but even then I’m not sure it necessarily will.

Kevin already posts Arduboy stuff on his Twitter page and other users already mention Arduboy from time to time, so I’m not sure having a dedicated Twitter page would be much different other than the branding and possibly filtering out personal discussions.

You mean a web browser? Like Firefox or Chrome?

If people don’t have 5 minutes to click on a bookmark and load the forum page every now and again,
they probably don’t have 5 minutes to read any of the posts.

There are also several RSS feeds (assuming people still use those), but they’re not advertised (presumably because not many people know about that feature of Discourse).

I can see instant messaging potentially being useful on the odd occasion, but we have a lot of users in different time zones with relatively busy lives so having two people online and available at the same time isn’t necessarily the norm.

Posting on the forum is near-instant anyway, it’s only the way people choose to use it that means it doesn’t always seem that way.

We have had game polls in the past. Usually we only do ranking during game jams though.

If we made ranking a common thing then we’d probably end up with a lot of people who get upset because their “first game I ever made” ends up bottom of the rankings, which to me kind of defeats the point of the Arduboy - it’s not about being the best, it’s about bettering oneself.

(The only way I can think of to avoid that would be to make some kind of opt-in system with a waiver saying “I promise I won’t get upset if I come last”.)

If that’s the case I’d say a better solution would be to improve the advertising of the forum on the front page and (if it’s not too late) on the actual packaging.

Rather than splitting the conversation, I think we should be directing the traffic here.
The fact this forum is still going strong after 4 years and the previous Reddit group and Slack channel both dried up and died is strong evidence that the forum is at least doing something right.
And if the forum is falling short somewhere, we should improve the forum rather than trying to start something else in parallel.

If they haven’t stumbled across the forum by accident when doing a search for ‘Arduboy’ why would they stumble across the Reddit page?

What is it about Reddit that would somehow make it more likely to be noticed than the official forum?

Since phones were mentioned twice, is the forum somehow less usable on phones? (I wouldn’t know.)

1 Like

I’m usually consulting the forum on my mobile phone and the user experience is great!

1 Like

But doesn’t that mean that more people are attracted to the community via Reddit? And if that’s the implication I feel like there would be ways to deal with that if it means more people coming into the community.

The main reason I said ‘Twitter Community’ was because it is akin to a Reddit page and also because I wanted to include the followers of the Twitter account instead of saying the Twitter page which on its own doesn’t have the same impact.

I feel like if you pushed the branding of Arduboy on a separate account that it would help to show up in people’s feeds and For You page and similar, but it would become less personal. A solution I think would be to maintain both Kevin’s current account and a more branded account.

I feel like it isn’t a matter of not having time, but being deliberate requires remembering/actively going there which I think people can forget a lot of the time.

I think people still know about RSS, but the main issue is that there aren’t that many modern RSS readers anymore, so people don’t have good options for displaying stuff from their feed.

I feel like if you are trying to get fast answers, especially to smaller/easier questions, that it would be difficult on the forum because people aren’t notified with a response, post unless they have emails on which I know, at least for me, can’t be an option because of constant activity/clutter.

Yeah, I think it would be good, because it could spark some light competition/motivation, but could definitely cause some problems with people being upset. I think it could be good also for newer people who want to see which games, in particular, the community thinks is best and they can play them as a starting point.

That’s not a bad idea, If you put an agreement at the bottom of your game post, then it would be eligible for ranking or something.

Regardless of everything else, I think this is a good idea. The forum is linked under the dropdown and talked about a bit on the front page, but I think the packaging would be helpful especially if someone bought theirs from a third party store instead of arduboy.com

I agree. I also think that part of the forum’s success stems from the good leadership/control of the forum, where others, the Reddit one at the least, failed.

Mainly the way that Reddit suggests subreddits to people of similar interest and the way people in those subreddits share/mention it across other ones including cross-posting. The main way to find the forum is by looking up ‘arduboy’ and going to the community link under the website or through the menu on the website, which if you have bought a clone/made a homemade is less likely. Although I think a possible Twitter would be more effective for people.

It’s also worth mentioning that I’ve had experiences with some less-than-ideal official communities in the past, so it has created somewhat of an aversion. Obviously, after seeing it, this one is more lively and better managed than a lot of ones I have been part of in the past. I can’t say the same for others, but that’s me personally.

I think it is a bit jankier on mobile, but that may be entirely because I’m not used to having all the buttons crammed together on my small phone screen so I don’t know ¯\_(ツ)__/¯

I feel like a subreddit could be an extension that would be more accessible to people, and could be for more casual/less intense posts. The mods, whoever they are, could direct questions and game development posts or whatever to this site, while keeping the casual sharing of pixel art, jokes, homemade arduboys, etc.

People could also make posts linking to updates on the community forums that people from Reddit could engage with or just be notified about. It could also be a good place for newcomers, with an easily accessible wiki that could have some starter games, guides for programming, or how to download/install. Many of which would be linked back to the community.

Maybe it could be fine to have them coexist, or maybe you are correct and a Reddit sub would be too divisive. In either case, I doubt Twitter would be that way since it isn’t a discussion platform in the same way as Reddit.

I think a Twitter page for solely the arduboy company would be beneficial, at least for me, to get updates links to community events/games/etc. At the same time, I think, based on experience, that it would pop up in people’s tech recommended sections if that was something they may be interested in.

Anyway, who really knows, this is all speculation. I’m not dead-set on a Reddit side of the community. Although I do think that notifications through some platform or in some way would be nice to keep up with it :slight_smile:

Remember to write “oye wey pinche cabron” when asking for the twitter handle. Since he is mexican.

As I see it, the purpose for Reddit is to have a completely open discussion area for Arduboy. The community here is great but it’s got a strong moderation priority to the sales and marketing of the Arduboy brand.

For example, posting games that are otherwise covered by trademarks could be shared on Reddit, (on your own risk) as it doesn’t cause any harm to the Arduboy brand.

Also, if you want to go over there to complain about me that’s a good place for it too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree with the sentiment of not dividing the conversation. I signed up for Reddit a long, long time ago and could never get into it. Both this site and Reddit are blocked by my work firewall but at least I can read Google’s cache and email to threads on this site.

If someone wants to complain about you they can find any other website on which to air their grievances.

1 Like

Or just go wild on this site. Kevin, you **** … when is the Arduboy XL coming out? :slight_smile: