Newb here, what now?

(Cause Burn) #1

So I went through the quick start guide

• Installed the latest Arduino software
  • Updated board manager to include Arduboy and installed needed files
  • Downloaded new game (in zip and .arduboy format)

What now?

The quickstart guide tells you how to upload a sketch but how do I just upload a game?! I opened the game zip file and it has folders called art and assets and other files, am I supposed to copy and paste the source code from somewhere and then upload? I tried to open a zipped game with the arduino software but I get a message saying "Arduino can only open its own sketchs and other files ending in .ino or .pde), wtf?!

Even the youtube videos I checked out seem to give you information to a point then just say “well good luck”.

Im not a programmer (that obvious eh?) I got this because I like the idea and I want to play the games, I will never program my own games, is there not a step by step guide for noobs that just want to upload a game to play? seems insanely complicated to just upload a game!

(Simon) #2

The simplest thing is to get @eried’s game uploader and install that on your machine. You can then go to his website of Arduboy games here http://arduboy.ried.cl (There are over a hundred) and automatically download them onto your Arduboy. Its really slick

Look out for the 1943 game, its good :slight_smile:

(Pharap) #3

In most cases you just download the zip, unzip it, open the .ino file in the Arduino IDE and then click the ‘upload’ button.

Some games have more than one .ino library in which case the main one should be indicated.

If you obtain the zip from a github page you may need to delete the “-master” part in the file name.

Otherwise you can use of the available game loaders that fetch precompiled files from an online game repository which is a lot easier if you’re only planning to play games rather than doing programming.

Popular loaders include @eried’s repo+loader, @crait’s Arduboy manager, and the Team Arg loader.

That was a shameless plug…
It’s not wrong though, 1943 is damn good fun.

(Simon) #4

Shameless, yes! Of course if action isn’t your thing, there is a good Domino All 5s game there as well.

(Scott) #5

(Celine) #6

This might be helpful too: Make Your Own Arduboy Game: Part 1 - Setting Up Your Computer

Esp. on setting up libraries. Arduboy2 is most updated, but no harm just installing all libraries found under the “Arduboy” search.

(Adrian Coman) #7

Why is this message don’t let me upload or verify a game “
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduboy.”

(Scott) #8

Please post any other error messages (coloured orange) that you get.

(Kevin) #9

@CauseBurn how are we coming along? Did things end up working out? Let us know!

(Cause Burn) #10

Thanks for asking.

I finally found results with “Arduboy Manager”, made the process easy.

Also I suspect Pharap was right:

"In most cases you just download the zip, unzip it, open the .ino file in the Arduino IDE and then click the ‘upload’ button.

Some games have more than one .ino library in which case the main one should be indicated.

If you obtain the zip from a github page you may need to delete the “-master” part in the file name."

I did not try his suggestion though, since Arduboy Manager worked.