I put together a little game I like to call “Oh, You’re Gunna Die” (or O.Y.G.D)…
I guess you could say it’s one of those ‘quick death addictive’ kind of games.
It’s somewhat like Bomberman in a way, but with a few twists:
- your bombs don’t kill you, and they don’t kill the baddies… they only remove spiked crates.
- touching a spiked crate or a baddie will kill you.
- you have to plant your bombs in ‘just the right place’ for them to work.
- you only get 3 bombs per level, so use them well and use them wisely.
- you only get 10 seconds to reach the door safely.
- basically… don’t touch anything or you’ll die.
Here’s a video:
Here’s the source (for now, until I get around to making the git repo public):
OH! before I forget, you’ll need the Arduboy2 library… or, if/when it gets put up on the Arduboy Manager app, install it that way easily
@crait someone is calling you
Told you I liked the game and it wasn’t a lie !
Also promised some tips. Not coding tips, but gameplay tips.
- why not have 3 enemies
- why not have an enemy go up-down
- add places you can’t bomb
- try different themes (all tiles in the room have a different look)
- pixel-art is your style so no comment on that, but you might look at inverting the numbers
good suggestions! will implement for next round
It’s really hard to control and the hitboxes seem weird. I keep dying. Speaking of dying, sometimes when you spawn, the space you spawn at can kill you if a spike happens to spawn there, too.
Other than that, I have it uploaded to my Arduboy Manager.
Hahahah - It’s supppppoooosed to kill you easily… With some practice you get better. I can get up to level 16
But yes, occasionally the respawn happens when a baddie is in the same spot and it’s insta-death, but meh. I DID only spend like 2 hours on it hahahaha
Oh, spikes will never spawn where you respawn, only baddies can if they are passing through the respawn spot I’ll fix that for next version
Awesome game but my arduboy hasn’t arrived yet and the vid does not work for me😭
hey all - i made some updates - latest version is always on github
- more backgrounds and spike types
- added a vertical baddie
- added un-bombable blocks
- drop a bomb with b, explode it with a (use to be timed, but now you
- randomized door position
- added easy mode
- added sound on/off
- adjusted hit areas
made some more updates, sort of a big deal
- baddies will never insta-kill you upon respawn
baby mode (4 steps at a time, grid overlay, 5 bombs and 12s)
easy mode (4 steps at a time, 3 bombs and 10s)
hard mode (2 steps at a time, 2 bombs and 8s)
key mode (2 steps at a time, 8 bombs, 16s, but you need to get a key before getting to the door)
On title screen, press B to change game mode between baby/easy/hard/key, and press A to toggle sound. Press any D-Pad button to begin the game
Github of course:
and it’ll probably get pushed to the Arduboy Manager as well (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gdmcvittie/O.Y.G.D/master/O.Y.G.D.ino.arduino_leonardo.hex)
here’s a new video (made a link this time, looks like the forum doesn’t like the video directly in a post or something) - bear with my crappy playing, i’m playing through the viewfinder haha: