[OLD] Arduboy Manager

(Scott) #11

That doesn’t mean they would want to go to the trouble of downloading and installing the sketch (if it’s the first time), opening the IDE, finding and opening the sketch, selecting the proper board type and port then compiling and uploading, if a simpler way were available.

Did you consider that someone might give away their DevKit or sell it on eBay to someone who isn’t very tech savvy?

(Holmes) #12

@MLXXXp - You’re right. There should be a Linux port, but unfortunately, I’ve never programmed anything this complex for Linux, so it would be near the end of list of things I’d do. However, if someone’s up for it, they could make a Linux version. :smiley: I’d even give them my server’s API end-points to use.

You’re right about this, too. Luckily, switching the repo to the devkit repo would be a simple button click in the preferences window.

(Holmes) #13

Hey, ya’ll! Based on your feedback, I went ahead and implemented a few things on the OSX version, which can quickly be added to the Windows version in the next hour or so:

1. Added offline mode, as @noel_abercrombie suggested, with the ability to clear all downloaded data.
  2. Auto-updating out-dated applications.
  3. Started working on a way to upload your own .hex file into the application, along with filling in the info so you can have all your games in one place.
  4. Differentiation between a DevKit version of an application and a production version, as @MLXXXp suggested.
  5. Random major bug fixes… This things runs really nicely!

(Bill Dubé) #14

Sounds great to me, but I can’t see anywhere where this a link to your software.

(Holmes) #15

Downloads aren’t available just yet. I want to make sure that transferring works properly. It’s the last thing I have to do, but unfortunately, I’m running into a few issues here and there. Without receiving my Arduboy, yet, I can’t really test anything. :’(

(Christian) #16

Looks like a great project, will deff use on OS X when it’s out!!

(Pharap) #17

My suggestion would be to use SDL. It runs on Windows, Linux and Mac and provides the functionality to do all the typical window-opening and drawing stuff. It’s what Valve uses to port their Windows games to Linux. There’s wrappers for other languages as well (although some are lacking/out of date).

If you get used to using SDL then you can write once and compile for (nearly) everything.

(Pharap) #18

I’d be happier if it were open source/github based so other people can help with adding features (like linux support and those other things further down your list). Maybe not now, but some day in the future.

(Holmes) #19

Well, the repo will be formatted in a nice JSON file that will be available to anyone else that wants to use it in their own projects. I know that there is someone else on the forum making a version for Android that will also use my repo.

Also, I know this is kinda irrelevant, but I really, really, really hate GitHub. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Pharap) #20

So you won’t mind if someone publishes an open source alternative to your sketch manager?

Because of the ugly UI or because you prefer closed source?

(Holmes) #21

Not at all! One main reason why I want this to be closed-source is because I want this to be a ‘finished product’ at one point. I mean, I’ll update it to fix bugs, but I’m not interested in including too many more features. I want this program to be a very simple, straight-forward alternative for people who do not know much about programming/technology.

Because of the naming convention for the commands and how they work. They are based off of an old technology that people used for floppy disks. It’s overly-complicated and the metaphors they try to use for their commands are terrible from an HCI position.

(Pharap) #22

Is any piece of software ever truly ‘finished’ though?

Fair enough.

Oh, you mean the actual git system rather than github then.
I’ve never touched the command line git system in my life, I just use github’s website UI. The only thing the website can’t do is handle merge conflicts, but those don’t tend to happen very often.

How’s it lookin’, been patiently waiting!

(Holmes) #24

The Windows version is pretty much complete. I’ll release it sometime in the next few days. I’ve been having a little trouble with the OS X version, however. Which system are you using?

(Liu Yang) #25

OS X,OS X,please :grin:

Brillant idea!
Sounds really useful - and I’ve just got an Arduboy to test it on!
Windows version Please
PJ

(Andrei Burichita) #27

@gnargle. installed your game and it is awesome but it has one bug…it does not take new high scores.
have been playing for hours and still the high score is as initial ( which i found a bit curious ) at 10 points.

(Evan Reece) #28

What games are on this application?

(Holmes) #29

You can always always check out the website to see which games are available! :slight_smile: http://www.crait.net/arduboy/ So far, there are over 20 games and there are plans to have more as soon as I hear back from more developers!

For more information, please check out the PC version’s thread: Arduboy Manager 2.0 Released!

The macOS has been taking longer than I expected to test and get working with the quality that I want… But I’ll make sure to drop a link in this thread when that version is finished, too.

(Holmes) #30