[POLL] Game Jam 3 Vote!

The [WIP] Meant I was gonna add more after the Jam XD No worries though

2 Likes

Wow it’s going to be tight for me to play test this many entries in time to vote.

Well done to all.

2 Likes

Looks like a lot of people either don’t realise they have 3 votes or have opted not to use all 3.
With 18 people there should be 54 votes used,
but only 45 have been used.

1 Like

As i am not able to test all of them, i at least read all threads and vote for the concepts and ideas. Even if i myself would not play some of them for long, because i am not really into educational games, i think some ideas and game designs are great nevertheless😊 I love these Game Jams!

5 Likes

There’s a lot of games, maybe they just haven’t gone through them all and made up their minds yet. I know I haven’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

Awesome! :smiley: 

1 Like

It doesn’t worry me that you have copied the .hex but you did it without taking any licence files with them. Did you check the licence on each to make sure you weren’t actually breaking the licence by not distributing it?

For example, mine uses a BSD-3 licence which states that you must distribute the copyright notice with the code.

3 Likes

Good point. Hmmm. I can start adding the individual license files. But you are definitely correct that some of copyright notices may preclude any posting like this. If there is a specific one with this property, then I’ll remove it.

I am not fussed that you are hosting mine … but maybe you can take it down after the polling has finsihed?

And my apologies for creating such a post on the spur of the moment. I woke up this morning to find that half of the student submissions from Simon’s Rock were not available due to https://src-code.simons-rock.edu/git/ being down. (Fortunately, I had collected all of the .hex files so that we could play them in class last night.)

Thanks. And yes, definitely, I plan to take it down after the polling.

1 Like

If I were @bateske, I’d make it a requirement that (future) Game Jam entries use an open source licence, keeping in the spirit of the Arduboy being an open platform encouraging education, thus allowing examination and modification of the code.

(However, I’m not saying that suitable open source licences not be followed when redistributing the code and/or binaries, such as including the copyright, etc. with the distribution.)

2 Likes

I like @MLXXXp’s idea for open source game jams moving forward. But I was also in the wrong in redistributing without asking permission from the authors first. I have now updated the above list of links to include only the Simon’s Rock jams. My apologies to the other authors!

1 Like

With most of the common open source licences, permission from the author (though a courtesy) isn’t a requirement of the terms and conditions. Technically, you probably weren’t in the wrong for not asking permission for distributing most (all?) of the Game Jam sketches.

Authors should consider the licence that they use. If they wish to require permission for the redistribution of their work, they should modify or compose the licence to include that requirement.

1 Like

Thanks @MLXXXp . In this nice community I’d say that being discourteous is also a ‘wrong’ so it was an err on my part. Back to the Jam Voting!

2 Likes

No need to remove mine (PodManager.hex), anyone can share it.
Besides, having a directory of games that isn’t complete skews the voting.

1 Like

I agree about the vote skewing, but at the same time I am not going to be able to ask everyone for permission to share their .hex files, so I’m just going to go ahead and delete that post.

For games that are currently affected by the outage of https://src-code.simons-rock.edu/git/ I have added links to the individual .hex file that was previously posted above.

In future jams it might be a good idea to post a .hex file along with the link to each game. This wasn’t so much of a problem with the earlier jams, but with 20+ entries we could really benefit from a central place to access all of the games.

I think it’s a lost change for those who submitted an entry without including a link to a hexfile. Not all voters will go through the trouble of downloading and compiling/uploading source using the Arduino IDE.

2 Likes

I spent big part of the evening yesterday converting to hex files to play on ProjectABE or on my Arduboys. A lot of games to test and evaluate. Good job everybody! I can’t imagine what you would do with more time.

3 Likes

I am soooo impressed by how many people submitted games!! I voted for Morse Course Sandbox by @jay, Kusoman by @arduboiiii, and Logix by @filmote .

3 Likes