[POLL] How did you start learning programming?

(Celine) #1

The Arduboy was created with the aim to help users start to pick up programming and hardware development…

So this month in junction with the creation of the new Education category, we want to find out a little more about how everyone in the community got started with programming.

There is only one choice for the poll this month, so choose the option that played the biggest role / impact on your learning. :smiley:

Poll closes on the 25th June!

• Arduboy
  • Books
  • Friends / Family
  • Hardware kits (e.g: Arduino)
  • Internet tutorials
  • Online videos
  • School
  • Work
  • Workshops
  • Others (Comment below!)

0 voters

:wink:

Arduboy Magazine Volume 10
Arduino DIY Kit?
Im gonna get my arduboy for my birthday!
(Fernando Jerez) #2

I started programming when i was a kid in the mid 80’s with a BASIC reference manual, a bunch of magazines and a Amstrad CPC 464.
No internet in the 80’s. I remember ‘download’ some programs from a local radio show using a casette recorder. :joy:

SSASE - Arduboy sprite editor
(Mike) #3

I started programming in high school. We’d punch FORTRAN programs on cards using an 029 keypunch. We’d send those to the local Air Force base (this was a school for dependents of US Government employees overseas, so mostly military kids) where they’d run them during slack times and send the results back. We had one run to the base to drop off decks and get the results each week, so turnaround time was a week.

Second year we got a 16-bit minicomputer with a multiuser basic and a half dozen teletype model 33s. No memory protection, so you could crash other peoples programs with PEEK().

After graduation, a friend bough a MITS ALTAIR 8800, and I started on assembler. But he only had a front panel for IO, so I toggled programs in by hand. That actually came in handy later, as booting a PDP-11 required toggling in the boot loader.

Same here, Amstrad Cpc 464 with color monitor in 1985. The reference manual, magazine type-ins and Clive Gifford’s Amazing Games for the Amstrad book. Ended up making a career in software engineering with that start.

Yeah, I’d love some tips on how to learn to program for the arduboy. I can read these tutorials all day long but I feel like not much is retained. Any suggestions on how to get sufficient?

(Erwin) #6

I started around 1990-1991 playing with my Atari 800XE and C64, copying BASIC games from books :smiley:

(Michael) #7

I started programming in 1986 with the Atari 800XL using BASIC from books bought at a local book store.

(Fernando Jerez) #8

no internet, no copy-paste, just reading and typing :smile:

(Fernando Jerez) #9

My tip: Take it easy and work hard.

I started copying programs and doing some modifications, i made some simple games doing this.
But i really learn to code in the career of software engineer. Learning algorithmics, AI, genetics, etc… allows you to afford almost any kind of project.

A recomendation: ‘The Coding Train’ channel in Youtube. Daniel Shiftman made a great work with this channel (and it’s very funny). It’s a must for all the programmers, begginers or experienced.

I got started on a radio shack BASIC Interpretor as a young lad.

We also had the 16k extension for RAM, so you could do twice as much graph space.

20 goto 10 baby

(Pharap) #11

Technically my first introduction to programming was ~5 years ago (2011-2012) in college*, but after a few sessions I started learning in my own time via the internet**, so I put ‘internet tutorials’ as my answer. (really though it was a mix of tutorials, reading the documentation and figuring it out for myself with a bit of applied logic.)

All of my knowledge of every language I know*** has been learned from reading things on the internet (be it tutorials, articles or documentation) or through experimentation (in ~5 years).

I’m sure there’s a moral to this story, but I can’t think of one that doesn’t sound somewhat bitter.

* At which point I didn’t know the difference between a kilobyte and a gigabyte, I had no clue how computers work and I didn’t even know what a computer looks like on the inside.

** I never stopped.

*** C++, C#, Lua, Haskell, various bits of other languages. With the exceptions of Visual Basic and Java because those were what they taught us in college, though I’d already started learning Java before the course began.

I learned programming with a great french MOOC by Rémi Sharrock : “ABC du langage C” and “Programmer en C”, on FUN MOOC. I go on learning with a book “Programmer en langage C” by Claude Delannoy and of course with Arduboy, changing some existing games to make them harder or making some simple codes to show some texts or sprites.

(Erwin) #13

Yes, and all the spanish manuals included typos in the code (because they translated the variable names and strings).

(Fernando Jerez) #14

Not my intention offend the south american spanish translators but here in Spain translations were mostly well done. I have some south american books and there are lots of typos and weird things like variable names translated.

Array --> Arreglo??? :grinning:

(Erwin) #15

Yes. It was by design to put extra challenges instead of just copying the code without actually debugging it mentally :stuck_out_tongue:

(Molly C) #16

Video Games were my motivation. I just pushed at it till I started to be able recreate pieces parts of games.

(Scott R) #17

I just never learnt although I’ve been heavily involved in multiple homebrew scenes I never actually got round to programming anything from scratch even tho I have dabbled with code for many years. Back when the GBA scene was fresh I grabbed C for dummies from the library but the hello world example just stole the fun and killed it.
My second determined attempt at nailing it was with the raspberry Pi where I had my turtle pond tweeting temps and logging to cosm but 99.9% of the code was available online so I just had to stick the pieces together and join a few dots and never had the need to do anymore with it.
After a few years out of gaming and being relatively low tech I picked up an Arduboy only time will tell…

Amstrad CPC 464 with color monitor in 1985. The reference manual, magazine type-ins and Clive Gifford’s Amazing Games for the Amstrad book. Ended up making a career in software engineering with that start.

(Darrell) #19

My first programming class at college (1978) was in BASIC using IBM punch cards. My roommate was taking COBOL. Yes, I’m old. LOL :laughing:

(Pharap) #20

Video games are the only valid reason to want to be a programmer.

(My first college course was ‘Video Game Development’, or as we called it ‘Vidyadev’. I won’t start getting into details about it though or I’ll be here all day. Those were the best 2 years of my life.)