[POLL] How did you start learning programming?

(Pharap) #21

To quote Edsger Dijkstra:

The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be regarded as a criminal offense.

(Sidenote: I had a teacher who used to program in COBOL and consequently I’m inclined to agree with Dijkstra.)

(Scott R) #22

Building a robot army to take over the world is not on your todo list?

(Pharap) #23

Too many things could go wrong. Robots turning on their creator, ecophagic grey goo, blue hedgehogs…

(Molly C) #24

A swarm of pi zeros would be fun if you could buy more than one at a time. :sob:

I imagine an automated drone shield that follows you as you walk.

(Molly C) #25

You make it sound like a bad thing. It is evolution. I for one welcome our robot children overlords. :sweat_smile:

(Mike) #26

Especially if it’s GLOBAL THERMONUCLEAR WAR (said in the voice of our robot children overlords).

But I really liked talk.politics. It’s modern incarnations - twitter and reddit - aren’t as much fun.

(curly) #27

I started with a very broken kings of chaos game clone and fixed it

(Matt) #28

I started with BASIC on the ZX Spectrum in the 1980’s…jeeess im old

(Simon) #30

10 print "hello world"
20 goto 10

16K … boy were you spoilt ! I had a VIC 20 with 5K ram and about half of that was taken by the ‘OS’ and screen RAM.

we had to use masking tape to hold the +8k in, if you bumped it too hard you lost half your ram :smiley:

(Simon) #32

I started on a IBM System 36 - it had 8" disk array (a cassette that held 10 floppys) and a hex keyboard in case the thing wouldn’t start. Never saw punched cards in action, though.

My dad used punch cards, he told me a story of one night him and a friend stayed up all night coding a dirty poem into punch cards and then swapped the cards in for a stack that did graphing or something and was going to be used at a presentation at the University to demonstrate the power of the computer. He said the results were hilarious and it was lucky it never got traced back to him, haha

Started out with my brother’s C64, a giant CRT TV that I sat too close to, and these books! :smiley:

(Amol P) #35

Started learning in the early 90s, with a BASIC book, on a 286 PC :slight_smile: Slowly graduated to coding in C and then C++. It was all in Windows though. Wish I had picked up Linux in those days. This was in Pune, India, entire 90s.

Arduboy Magazine Vol.6
(Kevin) #36

I taught myself how to code QBASIC when I was about 9 years old, not even shitting you my only resource was the help menu. This may explain why I am a terrible programmer.

(Pharap) #37

If you’re feeling nostalgic, QB64 is a pretty good modern Basic tool that compiles the Basic rather than just interpreting it. They’ve got a good Wiki too.
It was also my first experience with writing Basic (unless you count Visual Basic, which I don’t).

(Mike) #38

Linux back in the early 90s wasn’t a pretty sight. The first distro’s didn’t show up until '93, and they didn’t have the easy installers and package managers we know and love/hate today. I recall a tech writer of the time comparing it to a tank kit. Great fun once you got it assembled.

BSD was in a little better shape, but only a little. FreeBSD at least had the ports system (which is why decided to run it instead of Linux). Then AT&T sued the principle authors for copyright violation, and it never recovered.

(Mr Y) #39

Sadly I can code only in BASIC (and very crappy, I might add). Also - nothing really interactive (so unfortunately games are out of the question, hehe).
So finally I stayed with music and occasionally some graphic.

Anywayz. In 80s and early 90s the best source of… the code’s sources :slight_smile: to check out / analyse / learn - were books about BASIC. Hence my choice in this poll - books.

But later, in the second half of 90s - the friends from Internet were very helpful too.

(cyril guichard) #40

ZX81 for me, then Amstrad CPC 464, and then Commodore, Atari, Amiga and ultimately PC.

Here are my first computer and programming book.

250px-Dynamic_Games_for_the_Amstrad_(Interface_Publications)_Front_Coverbook