[Poll] New Arduboy: B&W or Color Screen?

PocketChip doesn’t fit in your pocket though (at least not without fear of breaking it). And it kind of stinks for gaming… and typing… and it’s hard to get one being that people are always complaining about their shipments being late. I think a color Arduboy would be more in competition with the RPI gameboys people are trying to sell.

Honestly, if the Arduboy had a couple more buttons, a color screen, stayed the same size at the cost of battery life I think it’d be my perfect handheld :grinning:

2 Likes

I’d choose color as option 1, and greyscale as a 2nd option. (But I’d love it if the color option was as close as possible to the current Arduboy; I love its current size!)

If it goes colour and the likely chance of moving to ARM it would become just another quirky device not much different to the rest in an already flooded market.
For me it’s not the next great homebrew portable console but it is the next generation of lcd games that I grew up with in th 80’s before the Gameboy DMG entered the market.

2 Likes

1bit black/green screen

2 Likes

Perfect. With a correspondingly retro color board, that would look and play amazing

That’s a real thing:

http://www.buydisplay.com/default/green-128x64-oled-display-module-i2c-serial-spi-ssd1305-2-4-inch

It’s larger though, and a slightly different screen controller.

1 Like

This is the one I’m using and comes in multiple colors.

Just requires 3 bytes of extra data in the display initialisation in the Arduboy(2) libraries

Stil thinking about grabbing a yellow-amber-ish one for a warm retro look :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s more or less been decided that color isn’t going to happen, at least not with anything specifically Arduboy branded. I’m interested in the color OLED, but as other people have mentioned and it’s more and more clear to me now… Arduboy has something special with the 1 bit graphics, pretty much no other system has this design aesthetic. It makes it unique and it also forces developers to think a little bit different.

Now when you see a screen shot of a 128x128 color game, you aren’t going to immediately think Arduboy. But you do if you see a 128x64 black and white one.

I’d have interest in doing a PICO8 console, but the problem is you’re basically looking at building a Pocket chip or some other linux machine until someone builds pico8 for a specific micro controller.

We’re gonna do SD card, some form of wireless mutiplayer and maybe a couple more buttons, sound… but almost certainly not touching the display.

6 Likes

Yep … agree. If you want to develop full blown colour apps, maybe a mobile phone is your thing?

Or pokkito, or gamebuino meta, or console, or PC. The argument still stands about supporting Pico8, but yeah thats’ a massive undertaking.

2 Likes

Keep it monochrome, but maybe make it so you can change the foreground and background color, like some of the old VIC20 games.

1 Like

I would very happily buy green monochrome and amber monochrome ones if they became available

1 Like

You can use coloured Acetate or sweet wrappers between the screen and shell.

2 Likes
3 Likes

That s a great idea and I will expwriment with so.e pieces of color film overlay, thanks

I’ve considered spray painting the inside case with translucent green Tamiya policarbonate spray paint. But i’m affraid I’d mess it up. Any chance to buy loose cases @bateske ?

1 Like

I created a topic / poll to discuss customisation Custom parts and spares

2 Likes

oh im so down for this. another 2 buttons above the previous two (like snes controller) would allow for more user input from the right hand. or even swapping of controls from one side to the other.
i know it seems almost assumed that the next two buttons should be more like start/select, but the problem with this is then they become exclusive with their function. at least with 2 close to the original 2, they can still be used as such or for alternative functions.

1 Like

Curious if something like this Sharp Memory display (https://www.adafruit.com/product/3502) might be more viable today as a screen replacement.

1 Like

That means you cannot use this with an ATmega328 (e.g. Arduino UNO) or ATmega32u4 (Feather 32u4, etc).

It needs 3K of screen buffer - the entire Arduboy has only 2.5Kb.