Hi,

I ported Stephanie Maks’ SFCave game. Details can be found on the Github page:

Original thread: https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=31658
Original video: https://vimeo.com/47023779

Arduboy Pictures

Arduboy Video
https://youtu.be/dNCMg_SFuVY

(Phil Graham) #2

Brilliant game. I’ve got on my Arduboy at the moment.

I’m glad you like it.

We should all be thanking Stephanie for writing it in the first place. And probably thanking the Arduino platform for being so easy to move between hardware. It took around 30 minutes to port across and tweak. Although I think it’s possibly still a little too fast compared to the original.

(Phil Graham) #4

I just wish it saved high scores.

I’ve updated the code to include a simple eeprom save. It’s somewhat dirty in that it just writes to the very beginning of the eeprom space and doesn’t care if there is data there. It also reads back the same data, but I cleared my eeprom before hand, so if you have data in the same spot, it may well read too much info back in.

There needs to be a much easier way to handle the eeprom.

Something along the lines of

write (data, length)

and

read (data,length)

Get / Put work in that fashion, but there’s no way to check to see the space is free. Which makes me wonder why there isn’t a

findfreespace() command ? It returns the beginning of the free space and the size of the chunk.

I’m rambling now :slight_smile: Enjoy the game with saved high scores.

(Josh Goebel) #6

You could implement both of these yourself easily with a for loop. Of course they still need to take an EEPROM address. The whole issue of free vs used is a whole other can of worms… but just writing an object to EEPROM should be pretty trivial.

Have to try this. Was always my favorite of the one button games like this.

(Phil Graham) #8

When I try to install the ino 2 file it comes up as a board error.

(Mike McRoberts) #9

Always give full details of errors please. They give important information that will allow us to assist you.

(Phil Graham) #10
Arduino: 1.8.1 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Leonardo"

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave (2).ino:32:10: error: redefinition of 'Arduboy2 ab'

Arduboy2 ab;

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave.ino:31:10: note: 'Arduboy2 ab' previously declared here

Arduboy2 ab;

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave (2).ino:35:14: error: redefinition of 'unsigned int sfcScore'

unsigned int sfcScore = 0;

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave.ino:33:14: note: 'unsigned int sfcScore' previously defined here

unsigned int sfcScore = 0;

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave (2).ino:36:14: error: redefinition of 'unsigned int sfcHighScore'

unsigned int sfcHighScore = 0;

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave.ino:34:14: note: 'unsigned int sfcHighScore' previously defined here

unsigned int sfcHighScore = 0;

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave (2).ino:37:20: error: redefinition of 'char sfcWalls [32][2]'

char sfcWalls[32][2];

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave.ino:35:6: note: 'char sfcWalls [32][2]' previously declared here

char sfcWalls[32][2];

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave (2).ino:38:18: error: redefinition of 'char sfcRibbon [16]'

char sfcRibbon[16];

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave.ino:36:6: note: 'char sfcRibbon [16]' previously declared here

char sfcRibbon[16];

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave (2).ino:39:6: error: redefinition of 'char sfcTrend'

char sfcTrend = 0;

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave.ino:37:6: note: 'char sfcTrend' previously defined here

char sfcTrend = 0;

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave (2).ino:40:6: error: redefinition of 'char sfcVelocity'

char sfcVelocity = 0;

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave.ino:38:6: note: 'char sfcVelocity' previously defined here

char sfcVelocity = 0;

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave (2).ino:41:6: error: redefinition of 'char sfcWidth'

char sfcWidth = 0;

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave.ino:39:6: note: 'char sfcWidth' previously defined here

char sfcWidth = 0;

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave (2).ino:42:6: error: redefinition of 'char sfcMode'

char sfcMode = 0;

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave.ino:40:6: note: 'char sfcMode' previously defined here

char sfcMode = 0;

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave (2).ino:43:9: error: redefinition of 'boolean sfcWinner'

boolean sfcWinner = false;

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave.ino:41:9: note: 'boolean sfcWinner' previously defined here

boolean sfcWinner = false;

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave (2).ino:44:9: error: redefinition of 'boolean buttonPressed'

boolean buttonPressed = false;

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave.ino:42:9: note: 'boolean buttonPressed' previously defined here

boolean buttonPressed = false;

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave (2).ino: In function 'void sfcDrawPixel(int, int, boolean)':

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave (2).ino:48:6: error: redefinition of 'void sfcDrawPixel(int, int, boolean)'

void sfcDrawPixel(int x, int y, boolean n) {

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave.ino:45:6: note: 'void sfcDrawPixel(int, int, boolean)' previously defined here

void sfcDrawPixel(int x, int y, boolean n) {

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave (2).ino: In function 'void sfcPaintScreen()':

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave (2).ino:74:6: error: redefinition of 'void sfcPaintScreen()'

void sfcPaintScreen() {

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave.ino:71:6: note: 'void sfcPaintScreen()' previously defined here

void sfcPaintScreen() {

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave (2).ino: In function 'char sfcStepWalls(char)':

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave (2).ino:162:6: error: redefinition of 'char sfcStepWalls(char)'

char sfcStepWalls(char lastValue) {

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave.ino:159:6: note: 'char sfcStepWalls(char)' previously defined here

char sfcStepWalls(char lastValue) {

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave (2).ino: In function 'void sfcWallsInit()':

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave (2).ino:176:6: error: redefinition of 'void sfcWallsInit()'

void sfcWallsInit() {

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave.ino:173:6: note: 'void sfcWallsInit()' previously defined here

void sfcWallsInit() {

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave (2).ino: In function 'void sfcGamePlay()':

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave (2).ino:202:6: error: redefinition of 'void sfcGamePlay()'

void sfcGamePlay() {

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave.ino:199:6: note: 'void sfcGamePlay()' previously defined here

void sfcGamePlay() {

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave (2).ino: In function 'void setup()':

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave (2).ino:259:6: error: redefinition of 'void setup()'

void setup() {

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave.ino:254:6: note: 'void setup()' previously defined here

void setup() {

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave (2).ino: In function 'void loop()':

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave (2).ino:270:6: error: redefinition of 'void loop()'

void loop() {

^

C:\Users\philg\Documents\Arduino\SFCave\SFCave.ino:263:6: note: 'void loop()' previously defined here

void loop() {

^

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino Leonardo.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

(Scott) #11

@phil8715,
You have 2 copies of SFCave.ino in the SFCave folder. The second one is named SFCave (2).ino

Delete SFCave.ino and then rename SFCave (2).ino to SFCave.ino

(Phil Graham) #12

Great, all done, works perfectly!

Thank You @MLXXXp

(Scott) #13

How do you define what free space is? EEPROM is just a 1K block of non-volatile storage that anyone can write any value to at any location.

If you want to turn that 1K block into some kind of a file system, there’s a long ongoing thread about that.
http://community.arduboy.com/t/shared-eeprom-storage-management-across-multiple-apps/125

(Phil Graham) #14

Is there a way to reset high scores back to zero? It’s stuck at 30032.

I can only get to 500ish so far.

(Scott) #15

Any sketch that saves high scores in EEPROM should include a way to reset them, SFCave included.
Hopefully @slade will add this.

Until then, this sketch should do it (I haven’t actually tested it):

#include <Arduboy2.h>
#include <EEPROM.h>

Arduboy2 arduboy;

void setup() {
  arduboy.begin();
  arduboy.clear();
  arduboy.print("Press B + LEFT\nto reset SFCave\nhigh score");
  arduboy.display();
  while (!arduboy.pressed(B_BUTTON + LEFT_BUTTON)) { }
  EEPROM.put(EEPROM_STORAGE_SPACE_START, (unsigned int) 0);
  arduboy.print("\n\nDone!");
  arduboy.display();
}

void loop() {
}

Ask and ye shall receive…
Just don’t ask the hard stuff. :slight_smile:

I’ve left more semicolons out and wondered why things don’t work than I can remember. A lot of people might look down on VB.net, but it’s much easier to use than C++. Ah well, it’s good to learn new things, and I am, thanks to the Arduboy.

Ok. So I’ve added:

High Score clearing with B + Left.
Splash screen
Fixed button code. Uses the actual A button now !