Pre-Orders [Global Shipping Complete!]

Very nice words, man. That somehow makes me feel better about this whole thing. :cry:

hey Kevin,

After reading this post of yours, I can only say I feel you, man.

Having gone through much the same thing I can only say, well done, hang tight, it can only get better, and I wouldn’t trade the experience for anything else in the world. And always, keep it real, keep it honest.

And my 2 cents regarding shipping:

Please, for international shipping from the states, please do not use DHL or any of the other couriers (UPS, Fedex, etc.) or you will be getting a lot of very unhappy customers. They will be getting slapped with some paperwork, hidden admin costs and unnecessary taxes when they receive their Arduboys.

I have found in my experience that the best shipping solutions for small, cheap, and lightweight items to be good old USPS.

Why don’t you keep some stock in Hong Kong for your Asia-Pacific customers? Storage can be arranged cheaply with local fulfillment agencies there, with your quantities it won’t take up a lot of space.

2 Likes

I agree. For Canada at least, the brokerage fees and other charges that couriers make are usually far more than Canada Post charges when mailed via USPS.

And, having to be around to sign for an item or having to go to a courier depot to pick an item up can be more of a hassle than it just showing up in your mail box. Even if you miss being there for a “signature required” item, the Canada Post pickup location is often closer than any courier depot (It is for me).

Sounds amazing!!! been researching about Arduboy games and programming whilst waiting!! cant wait for Ardumon to come out also! hope to receive mine soon!!!

Will it ship directly from china to my location in Hong Kong or to you first then redirect?
thanks for the effort!

This is a nice proper update, thank you!

Please check the check out with credit card and not only pay pal method in the web site before raising the price. Thanks.

dont like pay pal :slight_smile:

1 Like

I ordered mine on the 21st of May and it’s still August and waiting… Does this mean that I will be getting my arduboy soon? Last time I received an update from you it said I would receive it in June…

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! The upgrades we made to the unit were in response to feedback, so we really love to hear about the store too.

We hear you! Ok, we will use USPS for Canada orders.

It would be nice, but that would mean paying for another warehouse, and the monthly cost doesn’t offset the marginal increase to ship from the USA. Once we start to grow we will certainly look at it. Our shipping partner shipwire helps us with making these decisions! (I also worked as a shipping logistics analyst in a previous life too)

We will ship to the USA in a bulk shipment using DHL, this will hopefully leave China next week and arrive the following. We will then have all of the pre-orders sent out from there. This is the most reasonable price for getting it to you fastest. If we shipped each by DHL it would be about $20 shipping each. Doing it this way keeps it within the budget of what we charged on shipping.

Another thing we are want to do is switch from flat rate shipping to directly calculated. Once we fully integrate with shipwire we can give you an exact quote for how much it will take to ship, and will give you options on carriers and service levels.

Yes we will add credit card! We actually had it before but credit card companies don’t like pre-orders so we took it down to play nice.

Also, around Christmas time we want to see about some kind of special deal, but not sure exactly what yet!

So we hope everyone will get theirs by the end of the month! We work hard on this every day for you, hang in there! Sorry to make you wait!

2 Likes

Hi, I pre-ordered from the UK some time back. I’m a little concerned about using a courier (non-postal service) for international shipping to the UK. Although it can be hit-and-miss, its very likely that the courier could hold any package until a handling and import duty are paid, around £15 ($20). Making it the most expensive Arduboy $20+$54 = $74… :frowning:

@scootmatt in your experience it sounds like USPS would have a better chance of not being charged dutys or taxes? My thought is that everything should go through customs all the same?

Perhaps USPS is the best option for the pre-order units, and we can offer express shipping once the stores go live for people who need it a few days faster and don’t mind to have to pay the taxes.

I’ll consult with our shipping partners.[quote=“Le_Dook, post:15, topic:2009”]
So will it be around 2 weeks till pre-orders close?
[/quote]

Yes give or take. We were told that the factory should finish production by the 12th, then ship to USA which should take 3-4 days. From there it will take 1-2 days for the warehouse to process it. Once we have it secured in our warehouse we will switch of pre-orders and go live at the same moment have about 2,000 units shipped out!

Oh, and here is a video we filmed at the factory while we were there. It’s not anything really new we have showed the test jigs programming before, but we had some fun with the video! Hope you like it!

2 Likes

In my experience everyting from outside the eu coming in the eu may be taxed, if the customs get their hands on it. In the same way it can be ignored by the customs, no matter what shipping I chose.
Because that is what they are doing. I don’t think there is a shipping service that gets their items taxed more than others, because that would be a messed up system.

Maybe there’s something different now that the UK left the Eu.

1 Like

People keep getting this wrong. We haven’t left yet.
There was a vote to see what the people wanted, but nobody has enacted article 50 yet, so until then we’re technically still in. Technically the prime minister doesn’t even have to enact it because the referrendum wasn’t legally binding, but obviously there would be a major uproar if that didn’t happen since it would effectively trivialise the importance of all future referrendums.

I can see how you might think we’ve left though given many people’s overzealous reactions and the people at the EU conferences deciding to shut our prime minister out of the proceedings.

1 Like

Yep, sorry.
Did not really think about it

That’s understandable. Many people out there are overreacting and giving out incorrect information.
The truth is that nobody knows what will happen yet because the government hasn’t decided anything and it probably won’t for a while. At the moment the only thing that’s actually noticeably changed is the exchange rate.

In terms of how it affects the Arduboy, the only thing that makes a difference at the moment is the exchange rate since it means Arduboy Inc’s US Dollars should theoretically stretch a bit further in terms of paying for delivery within the UK, and possibly shipping. I don’t know if that’s the reality or not though.

Ardubexit

:thumbsup:

1 Like

In my experience, having both shipped and received thousands of packages over the past 10 years, here is what I can share regarding receiving:

1. Receiving via USPS First-Class International for small items under $50, either padded envelope or small box - ZERO tax or customs holdups. Never had a single hiccup. Delivery time, fastest 4 days, average 10 days, occasionally 14 days. No need for any customs forms, only a simple CN22 label for the shipper to fill in. Cheapest and fastest!

2. Receiving via USPS Priority Mail International for small items under $50, either padded envelope or small box - 15% chance of getting tax or customs holdups. Delivery time, fastest 7 days, average 14 days. Needs a custom form to be filled out or printed with shipper/recipient/contents info. Way more expensive for an average longer shipping time.

IMHO, USPS 1st-Class International is the best bang for the buck if you’re a customer. Only con being, no tracking. So this would only work for shipping to “safer” countries such as Japan, Taiwan, Australia, NZ, UK, USA, most of EU, etc.

I would never ship this method to Mexico, Italy, Spain, former USSR bloc, Nigeria, etc.

Is that right? We have shipped lots of stuff First Class International and it does generate a tracking all the way to the customers door with delivery confirmation. The only challenge we have found is that if the package has any problems, the other countries postal service won’t run a tracer on it. (i.e. if it gets lost, it’s lost…)

What would be your suggestion for this, Priority mail? I think DHL is actually much cheaper for us than Priority.

1 Like

@bateske

Ah yes, you do get tracking via USPS 1st-Class International for some countries on the E-DELCON list. Quite a few other “safe” countries not on the list also provide tracking info back if they do scan the package. What I meant was “no tracing”, as you said if things get lost.

FWIW it’s generally very safe and reliable to most countries except the obvious ones ending in “-tan” or “-ia” or others with dubious postal/customs services like Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, China (not Taiwan), Venezuela, Mexico, Spain, Brazil, Greece or Italy. No offence to anyone, just bad personal experience shipping to those.

With their yearly rate increases, USPS Priority International is really getting ridiculously expensive. Really no reason to go Priority especially since you’re not shipping anything over 2 Kgs to individual customers.

And with your volume of shipping you could definitely negotiate good terms with couriers, but the problem is that they might tack on “extras” like admin fees, fuel surcharges, pre-calculated taxes and extra paperwork to your customers. And that gets people really riled up.

If it were me, I’d keep shipping as low as possible. You’re gonna turn away a lot of potential customers who pick up an Arduboy for $39 and then they gotta pay $15 shipping and then get whacked extra with tax and what not when it arrives. Through no fault of yours but they’re not gonna think that. I’d just go FIrst-Class for everyone and eat the occasional loss here and there. Saves a lot of headaches. Take a look at pimoroni.com from the UK, people love em and they just ship RM Airmail International (USPS 1st-Class equivalent) everywhere.

It costs us more or less $15 right now with FCI. To some countries, if people order 2 or more units we probably lose a little bit of money on shipping. Our new logistics provider will allow us to integrate an API so people can actually see the direct cost that will be for shipping. While our volume from kickstarter was huge, our monthly reoccurring volume probably isn’t enough to get very significant discounts.

One issue we have is since we include a lithium ion battery we are restricted from using some of the cheapest international shipping options as well.

I’m speaking with several other companies on how they are doing their shipments so cheap and try to replicate what they are doing but it seems like increasing our volume will be the necessary first step.

Taxes of course there is nothing I can do about that, except try to get distributors in that country that will front the tax burden.

We have some plans in the near future to reduce domestic shipping, but that doesn’t seem to be too bad for most customers. As of now the pre-orders are actually about 65% international which is pretty nuts, and so we will be continuing to work on this in the future.

1 Like

I just wanted to personally thank both you, Kevin, and your team for what a great job you all are doing. I have never seen a company who both cares and communicates more with their customers than you all do (Kevin on the forum and Celine on emails). Also I completely understand the situation with the shipping and the delays. If you feel the product isn’t up to your standards and you feel your backers deserve more then you shouldn’t send it out yet. Keep up the good work and I’m sure arduboy is gonna be a global phenomenon.

4 Likes