Thanks. I thought initially about cutting the breadboard contacts, but it seems like too big of a hassle. Have you done it? Is it not bad. I’m planning on soldering up some basic connectors with some wire leads ahead of time to the displays instead, so the students can still just plug ‘n’ play. It’ll just be quicker for me, plus, the screen will be held in place by the case design, floating above everything else.
I intentionally copied the Game Boy Color style for this. The buttons are GBC replacement buttons from Aliexpress, too. Thought about 3d printing them, but these are really nice. Glad I ordered them instead.
I’ll probably need this. You’ll be my hero if you make it for me (like you have for so many other things)
Re: the aspect ratios, yeah it’s a challenge, and a balance. I like the idea of having all 3 levels at once, but I also really like the extra details afforded by going full-width, and only 2 courses high, which fits the AB display almost perfectly. Note that you only have an 8-tile width on your mock - the original is 10 tiles wide, but it’s been done with 8 for a number of systems due to varying screen ratios. I’ll go with the 10.
I was actually considering doing both – by default, having it 2 courses high, always showing the full level below where applicable, which is more important for a gameplay perspective, but also having a less detailed, scaled down full view like you’re showing, as a pause menu (likely by pressing slow step and up at the same time. I would use the side space for menu options like exit, load, save, and show the level info and time left.
I could have the game playable in both ratios, or just use the full-room display for quick reference.
Regarding animations, it’s possible to get the a number of different sprite sheets from different versions. I’ve been playing around with dithering settings while scaling down, and some of them are working pretty well, likely only needing minor clean up. I’ll try that route first, likely with Imagemagick, and see how far I can get.
For the level tiles, I’ve tried it a little, with less success (especially for the 3-level display, where you just can’t make out the spike holes and pressure pads), and have had better luck with drawing them by hand, similar to what you’ve done there. My hope was initially to leverage one of the many ‘PoP level editors’ out there, and leverage their already-perfectly-created maps, but that would involve adopting the original versions tile layout, which is a little confusing (though I get it) and would probably end up being more work than just working in 3 rows of floor-to-ceiling rectangular blocks.