Prince Of Persia FX- is it doable?

Here’s a quick screen I did showing what the first room would look like showing only 2 levels, but full width. The room details look pretty good. Each ‘block’ is 12 x 28 px. I also added an elevated ‘pad’ to make sure I could easily tell it was a foot switch. I really don’t want the player to have to focus in to be able to see these, or spikes, etc.

The kid still doesn’t have a lot of details, but every pixel helps here, and I do think it’s OK. For this one, I rescaled and dithered a sprite from the old Mackintosh version (with the vest, turban, and puffy pants), as I feel those ones retain their details a bit better when shrinking (plus I like the look of them at full scale). After scaling, and dithering, it just took a couple of minutes of manually adjusting a few pixels to clean up a couple proportions. I think this could be a viable workflow for converting the character sprites.

I think with a little more attention to the scaling process and dithering algorithm, I could probably get through the entire character sets in a day or two.

Room 1

2 Likes

This is a really quick stab at the running animation sprite. I didn’t give any special attention to it – just scaled and dithered the entire sprite sheet at once and threw together the running ones in a quick loop.

The final should look at least this good, with a little attention given to optimizing the sprites.

dither_it_MacRunningSprites (2) (1)

1 Like

No I haven’t I think it would take too much trouble and the contacts may get too wobbly. I’d probably glue a female header or dupond/jumper wires at the back of the breadboard.

I just grabed a screenshot from somewhere scaled it down and made it 1-bit. Just to see if it works visually.

Looks great! I wouldn’t sacrifice the bottom row pixels for the damage icons though. They can be transparently drawn over the background. The those extra pixels could be used to show more of a layer or increase each level scale by a few pixels so a few extra pixels could be added to the kid too.

Tiles can be any size and unlike true tilebased systems they can also be drawn overlapped (something I used on Darkstar and upcomming Desolate )

Not counting the black outline pixels give you two extra :slight_smile: (the ones at his feet can be looked at as a shadow)

Looks awesome already :star_struck:

Yeah, increasing each level height by 2 or 3 probably worth doing. There are 8 extra pixel rows to play with. I’m currently using 3 rows on top for the ceiling tiles, which are needed to see if there’s an opening above to climb up to. This could be dropped to 1 or 2. Let’s say I use 2 there. If I then take the 5 below, I could have an extra 6 pixels - 3 per level. This would allow me an extra pixel, or maybe two, on the characters, which would be a noticeable win.

Thanks. Good to know. I’ll probably still keep them consistent, as it’ll be easiest to build out the levels for me that way. I was thinking of having the torches and brick background details as a separate layer, so it’s nice to know that’s an option.

Perhaps I can even do background and foreground layers where applicable. I’d assumed I’d need to employ some sort of masking to get the kid rendering behind certain elements. This is my first time doing this, so I’m not sure what the proper approach is for this sort of thing.

@Mr.Blinky Good call on using the extra vertical space. It provides a better ratio. I’ll end up using the same character height as the previous mockup, but it’s much better proportioned with the 3 extra pixels per level, and I think the details come out at this height.

Room 1

I do miss having the health there at the bottom though. It’s where I’m used to seeing it, and I don’t like the idea of covering play area with it, but I may have to. Otherwise, I have an extra 4 pixels on each side of the screen and I could use that space instead, and stack the health markers vertically. I’ll mock it up both ways and see. Getting very close to final design though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice! I played around a bit with your previous mockup using 30 pixel high level tiles and put the health bars at the bottom. This is how it looks like.
afbeelding

I must say the top (offscreen) tile doesn’t need much detail and having your tile height of 31 pixels the kid can have one more pixel of vertical detail :+1:

It doesn’t have to stay on screen all the time. It could be shown only when it’s usefull or your health changes and then dissapear after a (few) seconds.

another option would be using 11 pixel wide tiles and have 8 pixels for a health icon.

personally I think having the health icons drawn over the background looks more authentic.

2 Likes

Thanks. I considered that, but I think it’s good to always know your health. I do really like the way the outlined health overlay you did looks, though, now that I see it. I’ll do exactly that :+1:

1 Like

Here’s what the pause menu with the static full room view will look like. (note: the room view won’t look this good - it has some anti-aliasing from when I scaled it down, and I didn’t convert it back to monochrome)

Standard menu options, and most importantly, the game timer (you only have 60 minutes to complete all 12 levels of the game)

Room 1 Menu (scaled down)

1 Like

For the menu it’s best to use a single bitmap and draw the level, time and cursor on top of it. By using a bitmap it can be more pretied up without extra cost of program memory too.

I added a little outline to your menu to see how it looks

afbeelding

btw if you want to see what images really look like on the Arduboy FX without actually uploading it in a sketch. You can make use of the image-viewer.py python script that is part of the Arduboy Python Utilities.

Hook up your Arduboy to a computer and drag and drop the image onto the script and the image will be streamed to Arduboys display (no programming involved)

1 Like

Looks good. I was thinking it could use one as well.

Thanks. I’ll all ears for suggestions and tips for memory savings. I’m going to have to work tightly to be able to fit all the game logic in, so every bit will help.

I’ve used it once or twice out of curiosity, but had since forgotten about it. It’ll be useful for sure.

Having a blast with this. I’ve never tiled out a game, and it’s surprisingly addictive. And distracting me way too much from my work :grimacing:

I’ve gotten enough of the Tileset built to get a sense for things. I’m using the Tiled app (which is amazing), and each room is a 10 X 3 block Tilemap, and each level will be a World that stores the placement of the rooms.

Gonna focus now on setting up item layers as needed for the traps, gates, elevated tiles, torches, sword, potions, skeletons, etc.

I’ll also use a foreground layer for the various elements that fully or partially obscure the characters.

I’ll may set the background brick patterns as separate items from the background too, which would cut down on the total number of tile variations needed, but really, the effort is minimal in creating variations, and storage of a few extra tiles on the FX is nothing to worry about.

1 Like

That looks great! I understand how distracting it can be.

Tiled is a great tool and well documented. Will make it easier to write a converter tool for it.

Edit:

Using 2D tiles like you do now is better than those semi 3D tiles. those would require masking for each tile and would take up more space and time. a 2nd 2D layer with masking can be draw to for foreground tiles.

1 Like

Yes, I definitely considered using versions of the quasi-3d tiles, since I could then leverage the exact structures from the original sources, but felt this was much easier, and would allow me to keep things as small as possible.

1 Like

This is looking fantastic.

I had a go at a POP like game myself on the Pokitto but ran out of steam. I should have just made the proper game.

5 Likes

Nice :blush:
You definitely got a great start on it.

I’m having a lot of fun with this. Too much. It’s possibly one of my favourite games from my childhood, so I’d love to get it as true to the original as I possibly can.

2 Likes

Not much time to work on it today, but I got the animated torch and spikes done. Uploaded at 2x since they’re so small :slight_smile:

torch

spikes2Anim (1)

4 Likes

nice! I already imagine our prince resting in those spikes :dizzy_face:

It’s possible to zoom your images on this forum. After you’ve added a image. In the right pane of the preview message, click at 100% under the image and then change the 100% to 200% at the left pane by editing the text.

1 Like

Nothing too exciting to show yet, but I have completely finished tiling out the first level. I won’t continue on with any other levels until I have the first one playable.

I’ve got all of the level object animation frames done for things like torches, spikes, potions, loose/falling/shattered tiles, gates opening/closing, floor switches. I still need to add the opening animation frames for the exit door.

The big next step will be to generate all of the character animation sprites. I’ll probably focus on all the movement-related ones first, and then try to get level 1 coded into a working sandbox. After that can come combat, and additional levels. I’m going to try to get the sprites all ready to go over the next couple of months in my (quite limited these days) spare time, and focus on the game code when I take my 1 month work sabbatical (likely in July).

I’ll post the character animations as I get done.

Level 1 Full Map:

6 Likes

I am getting excited … when will it be finished :slight_smile:

Hey do we know if any of this material is covered under license?

Looks like the name is in the clear from a trademark perspective.