Problem uploading game with header files

I saw Ardynia and I loved the idea. I have no idea how to upload it because the game is massive. I open the zip and put the Ardynia folder in the Arduino sketch thingy. I opened the .ino folder. It mentions .h files but they were not opened when the ino file was (the ino file was where the main folders are, right when you open ardynia-1.1.0 . Can someone tell me if it automatically uses it form different folders or if I did everything wrong? Thanks.

You shouldnt need to do anything except rename the unzipped folder to Ardynia and open the .ino file from that folder, .h (or header files) are there for when an arduino sketch compiles so it knows where to look for some of the utilities its using (although theres actually more to it than that with .cpp files as well, but thats the gist of it).

1 Like

When uploading, it could not find any header files. The header files did nto open up when the ino file did. Do I need to move some files to other places or something?

When you opened the .ino file, did a message box like this appear?

Moving

And did you click the “OK” button?

If so, you shouldn’t have done that. You should have just renamed the folder to ardinia so it matches the name of the .ino file.

But even then you might not be able to compile it properly as I have just discovered…

1 Like

While I was at it, I decided to move the ardynia.ino and the src directory into a new ardynia folder.

So now if you download the source of my fork and extract it, then navigate to the ardynia folder and open ardynia.ino, you shouldn’t get that message box and it should compile without any other work.

For future reference, the Arduino IDE likes .ino files to exist in a directory that matches their file name minus the extension, and if that isn’t the case then it won’t work properly.

It offers to resolve this by moving the .ino file into a new folder, which is fine if a game consists of only an .ino file, but if there’s header files that it needs then it won’t be able to find the header files if the file is moved into a new folder.

So what you need to do in most cases if that message box appears is to click ‘cancel’, close the IDE and rename the outer folder so it matches the .ino file. (Though ideally you’d rename before even trying to open the .ino file in the first place.)

Does that all make sense?

2 Likes

Yeah, thanks @Pharap

1 Like

The game works fine now but there is no “Arduboy” boot screen. I am not sure if thats how the original Ardynia is or if something got changed or something.

It was probably removed from Ardynia to save space.

Some games do that. Particularly ones with more features. E.g. I think that’s something we did on Dark & Under, but I can’t remember for definite.

It’s also possible to disable the boot screen if you want, it’s not actually necessary, it was only done in the first place to mimic the Game Boy.

1 Like