Problem with newer IDE and library [Solved]

There seems to be a compiling bug that started somewhere between IDE 1.6.10 + library 1.0.0 (works properly) and IDE 1.6.12 + library 1.0.1 (doesnt work properly). It makes the screen split and sidescroll continously.

(Kevin) #2

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, it’s great to tag us with @bateske @ekem for development related stuff and @celinebins for store and support.

We’re on it. Really unfortunate timing as we are shipping all the pre-orders! We will get it fixed soon thanks!

This problem has already been tackled and explained by @MLXXXp

http://community.arduboy.com/t/cannot-compile-or-upload-an-example-game-cc1-exe-error-solved/2029/5?u=jo3ri

Which library and arduino IDE should we be using?

(Scott) #5

Basically, the latest stable release of each.

IDE version 1.6.10 and higher require Arduboy library 1.1.1 (the latest stable release). I’ve had no problems with IDE 1.6.10, 1.6.11 and 1.6.12 with Arduboy library 1.1.1

The latest stable Arduboy2 library (v2.0.5) also has the fixes required to work with IDE 1.6.10 and higher. Some sketches use this library.

All current Team A.R.G. games shouldn’t have problems with any IDE 1.6.x version (although some may end up too large to fit when compiled with an IDE below 1.6.10).

Other sketches with their own local custom derivatives of the Arduboy library may or may not have problems, depending on which version they were based on. For these custom libraries, replacing the function
void static paintScreen(const unsigned char *image)
with the one from Arduboy 1.1.1 will likely fix the problem.

Thanks. Wanted to make sure I had things setup right. Whenever I upload a sketch I get the following messages:

avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0880
0xff != 0xd4
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

The games will still run though for some games some of the graphics don’t look right.

(Scott) #7

Is the error always at the same location 0x0880?

Does re-uploading the same sketch always produce exactly the same results?

I think it’s always at the same location. Every sketch I’ve uploaded using the IDE has gotten that error.

(Scott) #9

@jbrodack, That’s a strange problem. It looks like a hardware problem, but I can’t say for sure because I haven’t come across anyone else reporting anything similar.

So do sketches uploaded using @crait’s Arduboy Manager work OK?

I don’t get any errors with the Arduboy Manager. There may have been a instance of unreadable text but usually the sketches uploaded with that manager work well.

The sketches still upload with the IDE but I always get that error. Many sketches have unreadable text at parts or graphics corruption. Virus lqp for instance the player character has a box around her when I move in certain directions. If I use an older version of Arduino AVR boards the main character shows properly but the text showing the level number is unreadable.

Is there something that needs to be reset on my Arduboy or the IDE?

(Scott) #11

As I said, I’ve never seen this problem reported before, so I’m not sure what the solution is.

Do you have another PC that you could install the IDE on and try using it to upload to your Arduboy? The results of this might tell us something.

I get the same error when trying on another computer

(Scott) #13

@jbrodack The next step would be to see if the same thing happens with another Arduboy but that may be difficult for you.

If you select in the IDE menu File > Preferences and then set
Show verbose output during: upload

The resulting output might provide a clue.

Arduino: 1.6.12 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Leonardo"

Sketch uses 26,998 bytes (94%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28,672 bytes.
Global variables use 1,728 bytes (67%) of dynamic memory, leaving 832 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,560 bytes.
Forcing reset using 1200bps open/close on port COM4
PORTS {COM3, COM4, } / {COM3, } => {}
PORTS {COM3, } / {COM3, COM5, } => {COM5, }
Found upload port: COM5
C:\Users\evkyt\Downloads\arduino-1.6.12\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\evkyt\Downloads\arduino-1.6.12\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega32u4 -cavr109 -PCOM5 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\evkyt\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_982705/i4arduboy.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Sep 12 2016 at 17:24:16
Copyright © 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright © 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\evkyt\Downloads\arduino-1.6.12\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM5
     Using Programmer              : avr109
     Overriding Baud Rate          : 57600
     AVR Part                      : ATmega32U4
     Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
     PAGEL                         : PD7
     BS2                           : PA0
     RESET disposition             : dedicated
     RETRY pulse                   : SCK
     serial program mode           : yes
     parallel program mode         : yes
     Timeout                       : 200
     StabDelay                     : 100
     CmdexeDelay                   : 25
     SyncLoops                     : 32
     ByteDelay                     : 0
     PollIndex                     : 3
     PollValue                     : 0x53
     Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
       Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
       ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
       eeprom        65    20     4    0 no       1024    4      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
       flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
       lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
       hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
       efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
       lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
       calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
       signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : butterfly
     Description     : Atmel AppNote AVR109 Boot Loader

Connecting to programmer: .
Found programmer: Id = “CATERIN”; type = S
Software Version = 1.0; No Hardware Version given.
Programmer supports auto addr increment.
Programmer supports buffered memory access with buffersize=128 bytes.

Programmer supports the following devices:
Device code: 0x44

avrdude: devcode selected: 0x44
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9587 (probably m32u4)
avrdude: reading input file "C:\Users\evkyt\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_982705/i4arduboy.ino.hex"
avrdude: writing flash (26998 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 2.22s

avrdude: 26998 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against C:\Users\evkyt\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_982705/i4arduboy.ino.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file C:\Users\evkyt\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_982705/i4arduboy.ino.hex:
avrdude: input file C:\Users\evkyt\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_982705/i4arduboy.ino.hex contains 26998 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ##########################################An error occurred while uploading the sketch
######## | 100% 0.54s

avrdude: verifying …
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0880
0xff != 0x44

avrdude done. Thank you.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

(Scott) #15

@jbrodack, I don’t see anything more in the verbose upload output that helps beyond what you’ve previously reported.

Based on the fact that it’s always the same location, and you’ve tried using more than one PC to upload with the same results, to me it looks like you have at least one physically bad location in the microprocessor’s flash memory.

(Kevin) #16

@jbrodack yeah it looks like we should try to get you some help with your hardware

Can you use the contact form at arduboy.com/contact and please give us your information?

@MLXXXp great work as always thanks!

Thanks everyone for your help. I sent a message using that form.

Update: I received a replacement Arduboy and I’m not having any problems with it. Must have been a problem with part of the memory in the first Arduboy. Thanks for sending the replacement.