Programmer did not respond [Solved]

(curly) #1

Arduino: 1.8.1 (Windows Vista), Board: “Arduboy”

Sketch uses 8112 bytes (28%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28672 bytes.
Global variables use 1230 bytes (48%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1330 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2560 bytes.
avrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding
Found programmer: Id = “S”; type = p
Software Version = V.

any ideas for a fix?

(Mike McRoberts) #2

I sometimes get this and you just need to try again a few times before it works. No idea why it does it. Check the device is actually showing up in the PORTS section of the Arduino IDE.

(curly) #3

i was also an idiot and didnt have it turned on, for some reason i thought it would fry if i had 2 power sources on it at once, but it was a port issue, i should have known that its not my first arduino rodeo. but excitement gets me in a hurry and i overlook the obvious

(Mike) #4

I don’t think the “not turning it on” thing is an idiot move. The standard Arduino boards will all run off the USB port so just plugging it into that is sufficient. So it’s perfectly natural - if not habitual - to expect this “Arduino” to do the same!

And yes, I had to look online when it happened to me.

(Scott) #5

Most standard Arduino boards aren’t designed to use a rechargeable battery. One exception is the LilyPad Arduino USB, which must be switched on to run and program it, like the Arduboy.

But you’re right, you wouldn’t normally expect to have to turn it on. That’s why I noted it in the Quick Start Guide.

FWIW I get caught out by this all the time. The charge light is on which makes me think the device is on for some reason.