ProjectABE feature poll

I’m doing some cleaning up and might be dropping some of ProjectABE’s less-used features, but first I’d like to know if this would negatively impact anybody.

Please mark any features that are important to you:

• IDE for coding inside the browser
  • IDE for compiling other people’s code
  • Debugger
  • Serial logger
  • Eried’s Repo
  • Crait’s Repo
  • TeamARG unofficial Repo
  • Community tab
  • Documentation tabs
  • Easter egg
  • Gif Recording
  • PNG snapshot
  • Joystick support
  • Fallout Pipboy skins
  • Tamagochi skins

0 voters

• Android build
  • Windows build
  • Linux build
  • OS X build
  • Flash game to Arduboy
  • Run a game from a URL: (url=https://game.hex)
  • Run a game from the command line (ProjectABE game.hex)
  • Run a game by drag-and-drop

0 voters

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure what the ‘easter egg’ is.
Is it a specific easter egg or the general idea of having easter eggs?

Either way, it’s Easter Sunday so I couldn’t not vote for it :P

2 Likes

There is an easter egg in the online version, I don’t think anyone ever noticed it.
In the game list, press:
Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, A, B

3 Likes

I love pointing to games as URL parameters. Also, I have yet had the chance to thank you for all the work you have put into this. It’s awesome! Do you have a Twitter?

1 Like

All of the features! Seriously so awesome!

3 Likes

I’m glad it’s been of use! I don’t use twitter, although I probably should.
Looks like every game dev has to have a twitter account. :stuck_out_tongue:

Eventually I do hope to have all the features back in, or at least most of them. I didn’t have all this in mind when I started, so it looks like a rapid prototype that got out of hand (ie, most software).

To make my life easier, I’m switching to ReactJS instead of trying to build and maintain my own app framework that started off as an experiment. I hadn’t used React before, so it took a little while to get off the ground, but the emulator is running pretty well in it now. Getting the IDE up again in the new system is going to be a lot of work, but it’ll pay off with all the bug fixes and less memory use. I was considering simply killing it off, but from the poll it looks like people actually use it.

Since Gif Recording seems to be the most important feature so far, I should probably dedicate some more time to that, too. I wrote the gif encoder/compressor from scratch as I couldn’t find a ready-made one that would do a good job on 1-bit animations. While they look OK in the browser, some apps don’t like the files it produces. I should either fix that or switch to animated PNGs… the file sizes are much smaller and browser support should be reasonable by now.

It’s also interesting to see that somebody cares for the really out-of-date Android build. I forgot to put the online build in the poll :man_facepalming:. Windows & Linux are kinda expected. And all the cool guy is on OS X. :stuck_out_tongue:
Making builds is still too manual and it often takes up a whole Saturday afternoon. Time that would be better spent coding. I need to stop working in the master branch (I know, it just wasn’t an issue when I started) and set up a proper, automated build system. I wish I could do proper testing on OS X, it’s the weirder system of the 4.

Guess that means I’m not a real gamedev?

Maybe I’m a language lawyer… ; n ;

2 Likes