PyBadge? A new Adafruit board playing Arduboy games

The same can be said of ‘famous’ people like Linus Torvalds, Bjarne Stroustrup and Richard Stallman.

Yes. I think they went crazy on the PR and also they created a whole foundation. I own 4 Raspberry Pi’s and no clones or beagle bones or banana pi because of the popularity and increased support.

They really leverage the support teams and also donate many RPi’s to schools to get in the news for doing good. My completely non-techie friend came up to me last week and said:

Did you know that they are bringing those Raspberry computer thingies to African poor children?

I want to do an interview with their PR - maybe u should @bateske - Arduboy Inc can turn into a foundation and work with them and become much much larger. :grin:

PS. I feel betrayed by Unicode’s emoji division - there is no Raspberry emoji and it is the best berry of them all.

There were several important factors that made the Pi popular:

• The Raspberry Pi foundation was started as a charity (merely mentioning the word ‘charity’ makes a lot of people sit up and take notice)
  • The foundation arranged a lot of charity events, which probably got a fair bit of press coverage
  • The Pi had many applications beyond what was originally envisioned, e.g. use as home media centres, various hobbyist robotics projects
  • It was the first attempt to make a new personal computer model in Britain for quite some time, so people probably thought “this is going to be the next Amstrad/Sinclair” (and they weren’t exactly wrong)
  • Some of the people involved were already famous/influential people, so they already had a lot of money, influence and media contacts (to be honest I think this is arguably one of the most important factors)
    • David Braben, co-creator of the original BBC Micro game Elite and CEO of Frontier Developments, studied at Jesus College in Cambridge
    • Eben Upton, technical director and circuit architect at Broadcom, formerly worked for Intel and IBM, has published various papers and won various awards, son of linguist Clive Upton, and former Director of Studies at St John’s College in Cambridge
    • Alan Mycroft, a professor at Cambridge University, who co-created the Norcroft C compiler
    • Rob Mullins, a senior lecturer at Cambrige University

(This list is non-exhaustive.)

As you mentioned the Rpi is well known people. The british government loves them:

1 Like

Technically Royal Mail isn’t government owned anymore.
The government sold its last share in 2015, ending 503 years of public ownership.
Its share value hit an all time low this year.

At any rate though, the Pi is deserving of accolades.

It’s the best-selling British computer ever (even more so than the ZX Spectrum),
as well as the third best-selling “general purpose computer”.

I’m probably the only person here who doesn’t own one.

How many Raspberry Pi’s do you own?

• Over 2
  • None

0 voters

1 Like

There’s now also the ‘PyGamer’ version of this: