Recalcitrant SH1106 OLED... help please

I’m having no success in getting the SH1106 1.3" oled working on my new homemade (based on SAMD21). I have been successful using the predecessor of this board with a modified Arduboy2 library and a (sadly too slow to refresh) LCD.

Now I have moved to an OLED and wanted something slightly larger than the 0.96" SSD1306 displays.

I can pop a schematic on here if needed but while I wait for a module to arrive in the post (which could be a long time in UK atm) please can anyone with a working, SPI driven SH1106 display let me know what voltages you are registering at IREF pin (on end of the resistor should do) and the ends of either of the charge pump caps, when you supply it from 3.3V? Perhaps @Mr.Blinky has one…? Also, if you have a working module, what’s the value of the resistor on it that’s connected to IREF?

Any known library mods for the SH1106 would be welcome. I’m going from a waveshare display datasheet at the moment and can’t tell if I’m turning the charge pump on incorrectly or whether it’s a wiring issue.

Thanks

If the charge pump is enabled and working properly, you should see a high voltage (7 - 12V) on the Vcc pin 28.

2 Likes

I’ll run some tests tomorrow. the resistor value on my display reads 564 so 560K. For display initialisation I use pretty much the same command list as Arduboy. Only added the column address command. A schematic would be handy to see how you’ve wired up the display.

1 Like

@MLXXXp thanks, that’s what I thought - only seeing VCC.
@Mr.Blinky thanks too. I tried those to begin with (apart perhaps from the column address command)
Here’s the schematic:

Does anything seem to be a mistake in the layout?
Been using something like this as a guide (data and clock pullups unnecessary with the SPI pins on uC holding voltage high)

Looks fine to me.

Did some testson my SH1106 module @3.3V displaying mystic baloon title screen (regulators output @3.27V)

3.27 VDD/VDDB
5.02V IREF
6.05V VCOMH
7.84V VCC

What’s your SPI clock speed? the display can’t handle speed >10MHz. I had a quick look at SAMD21 SPI application note and read multiple clocks are involved with SERCOM/SPI.

When I was in your situation I’d probably just repeatedly write the display initialisation code to the display with alternating all pixel on/off command with some delay in between.

If that didn’t show any result I’d go for configuring the pins as plain GPIO output pins and then bitbanging the display at a low speed. To rule out any misconfiguration of SERCOM/SPI

@Mr.Blinky thanks, those voltages are useful as they show there’s definitely a HW issue (which could be failed initialisation). I’m not getting any of the ones apart from VDD/VDDB at 3.3V. I purposely left pin headers holes on the MOSI/SCK/CD/RST/VCC/GND lines in case of this type of situation, so I will hopefully receive my eBay SH1106 module this weekend and be able to check that the SAMD21 is outputtting an initialisation instruction set and clock speed that is acceptable to at least the external display module. At that point, I think I will raise a case with the bare OLED seller as I don’t have time to make a standalone screen breakout PCB before I’d run out of time to seek redress from the seller. I have two other screens from the same seller, so I could desolder the eBay module and try one of them on that board, if it works on arrival. Glad I used low temp solder paste!

1 Like

“Recalcitrant”

You like that word you used it in your other post too :rofl:

1 Like

I thought repeating the use of the word would steer people on to what my post would be banging on about!

1 Like

I was actually expecting it to be a technical term to do with calcium.
I’d forgotten that ‘calx’ can also mean heel.

Evidently you are quite erudite. :P

Good news. I managed to use the SH1106 module to discover that I had disabled everything except the u8g2.begin() initialisation function. Once I added in some display commands, the module worked with the Arduino M0:

Bad news, changing the code didn’t help the prototype.

EDIT: I need to stop messing with this late at night, as THIS IS SO WRONG - LOOK AT THE VOLTAGE MR BLINKY REPORTED ON VCC!
Good news, while testing all pins / pads / components related to the OLED had continuity, I found that I had failed to make the net connected to the OLED VCC pin “actual VCC” and it was floating. Bodge wire inserted:

Bad news, it didn’t result in a working display or even the charge pump voltages on the CP caps.
*horrible soldering is explained by feeling the need to replace the caps on the charge pumps with something greater than 6.3V :roll_eyes: and not having 0805s in higher voltages to hand. That, and not caring at this time of night. Solder blobs and straight lines aren’t going to be what’s stopping this screen working.

I’m going to leave it there for tonight and desolder the display tomorrow, in order to see if a new display connected to power properly might work (I have a feeling that failing to provide VCC but making 3.3v available to the VDD pins and then trying to initialise may have damaged it).

Is there any libraries for that display and that chip within mbed? Maybe you can switch platforms to try things out.

Any chance you have a signal analyzer?

I have a 4 channel scope with SPI decode, which when I sort out the new OLED tomorrow (and remove the erroneous bodge wire) I will attach. The fact that the u8g2lib is working for the same oled on a module and the same chip (SAMD21) in the form of the Arduino M0 makes me think I should be looking at HW, signal and initialisation. So I’ll try and take a good look at the signal coming from the M0 and compare that to the Gamoo.

So I spent a large part of today not making much progress except to rule out several dead ends. I traced and probed the purchased module to see if the circuit differed from mine. Only thing I could see was two pullups @ 4.7k ohm on MOSI an SCK, which are there I suspect to facilitate the I2C interface that this module can be switched between. That and a 3.3v reg. I tried adding a couple of pullups of exactly the same value to the GAMOO but no change (the SPI signal was already looking identical between the successful M0 signal and the unsuccessful GAMOO signal).

I then desoldered the first bare OLED from the GAMOO and replaced it with a new one, in case something I had done had damaged the first one. With no joy there either, I desoldered the OLED on the module and (leaving it stuck in place on the rear of the PCB) soldered my third and final, new, bare OLED to the module to see if I had a duff batch. Sadly, in my case, the third OLED worked when soldered to the module, so either it’s a 1/3 working example and 2/3 are broken, or…

I think critically, I have never been able to get the charge pump firing on my board. So I went back to the datasheet and, based on the bootOled() function in Arduboy2.cpp, amended the initiation sequence and inserted it into a standalone Arduino sketch to loop through display initialisation every second. This was successful with the M0 but not GAMOO. I tested for false positives with the M0 by uploading blink.ino and checking that the charge pump capacitors were “idle” - they were. I then uploaded the initialisation sketch and the charge pump showed voltages > 6V, as expected. I even saw the last page in the display’s memory from the u8g2 demo code flash up every time initialisation finished and the display was turned on.

As I said before, the oscilloscope with SPI decode on shows the two boards (Arduino M0 and GAMOO) both spitting out clear protocols. My next steps are a) to desolder individual capacitors on the module to see if I am using wildly different values and b) desolder all the display-related passives on GAMOO, as well as the bare OLED and try to drive the module from GAMOO’s SPI header. I have tried this already but I have always had the additional passives and OLED populated so I never expected it to work. Feels like I’m clutching at straws though. I will also try to power the OLED on the module from a different power source when I connect GAMOO, just in case there’s something funny about the power supply that’s affecting it. But then again, it’s not even trying to start it’s charge pump, so I don’t think it’s a high likelihood of it being a supply issue.

Thoughts very welcome on other things to try. Hope you’re enjoying updates, if not progress.

Quiz: See if you can count how many OLED displays are in this picture.

At this point in a project for me would be when I start thinking if it needs to be calibrated with a hammer or perhaps adjusted with an open flame.