Rick Ardurous: a Rick Dangerous clone on Arduboy!

RickArdurous.arduboy (120.3 KB)

Rick Ardurous: a Rick Dangerous clone on Arduboy!

Hello Arduboy Community! I’ve developed Rick Ardurous which was inspired by the retro-game Rick Dangerous, where the player takes the role of an adventurer exploring caves in the hope of finding the Grail. The game propose a series of puzzles fitting in one screen. The player will have to reach the exit point of each screen to move to the next puzzle. The game propose 12 puzzle-screens with an increasing difficulty.

You can find the game here https://github.com/Lswbanban/RickArdurous

I’ve also created a RickArdurous.arduboy file that you will find in the Release folder, if you want to launch it with the ArduboyManager.

Moreover, as you can see on this topic, I’ve filmed all the development process, so you can watch the whole development of the game from this youtube playlist.

Demo Video

Here is a short video of the game, for the few first level:

Level Editor

I’ve also develop a Level editor, so if you want to create your own level, that should be easy. It comes with an extensive documentation explaining how to build new levels. There’s a compiled version of the level editor (for Windows) in the Release folder, for your convenience.

Enjoy!

14 Likes

I saw a bit of your first session - even saw ‘Hello World’ appear on the screen!

You should update this post with progress and timings.

3 Likes

I’m starting to stream now, if you want to join.

Can you post the timings a day or so in advance, then I can plan to watch your sessions :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, i also saw some parts of your stream, nice idea, won’t have the time to follow all of it though😢

1 Like

Is there no way to record the streams?

I watched a bit of the first stream but it was just discussing the graphics and planning at that point.

Hello,

Yes, I plan to update this topic, to keep you informed about the progress. I will try also to post some schedule in advance, but I think it will be quite difficult for me to decide a schedule :slight_smile:

Also, yes the whole project will probably be very long, and I cannot guaranty to have interesting stuff every minutes… this is a streaming with all possible bugs, issues or blockers that may arise, but I will try my best to comment what I’m doing, and if you ask some question live in the chat (or make some suggestions), I would be happy to answer. This is why I’m doing a stream, and not recording a edited video series of tutorials.

3 Likes

I will start a new stream in a couple of minutes.

2 Likes

Hello,

I will stream a new episode in a couple of minutes, after a pretty long pause.

See you.

5 Likes

Hello all,

It’s been a while I didn’t stream, but episode 5 is out: stream replay.

I’ve got a new 60fps webcam to film the Arduboy, so hopefully you may enjoy better the animations on screen.

See you.

5 Likes

Hello,

The episode 6 is out: stream replay

This time we have a walking main character!

See you.

1 Like

Hello,

The episode 7 is out: stream replay

This time we are implementing animated spikes and shinning statuettes.

See you.

2 Likes

Hello,

The episode 8 is out: stream replay

This time I completed the statue and the dynamite, and I started to create an array to deals with all the items.

See you.

1 Like

Hello,

The episode 9 is out: stream replay

In this episode we start to implement collision detection, and we implement a first version of death detection for the main character, when he touches spikes and the explosion of the dynamite.

See you.

1 Like

Hello,

The episode 10 is out: stream replay

In this episode I’ve implemented the pickup of the statuette, with a minimum of code change.

See you.

1 Like

Just want to say that these look cool I just havent found the time to sit and watch them yet

Hi Kea_Oliver !

Thanks for this message. I hope you will find these video enjoyable. Since this is my first experience in streaming, I also learn how to stream and code and explain at the same time. :slight_smile:

I hope I’m improving, and I hope that the streams will become more and more enjoyable. I think in the last stream I speak much more than in the first one, so if you find the first episode a bit boring, you may skip some of them and give a second chance to a further episode.

My goal is to have a game with the same production value than my Ardulem game, but more than that, a total documentation of the whole process. And I hope that this could inspire people to try also to make a polished game, by showing them that it is not as complicated as it seems to be at first glance.

Yours.

1 Like

Hello,

The episode 11 is out: stream replay

In this episode I’ve add the Bullet and Dynamite crate and implemented the inventory of the main character and the display of the HUD.

See you.

1 Like

Hello,

The episode 12 is out: stream replay

In this episode we start to implement the navigation of the main character, i.e. checking the wall collisions, and start to implement the jump.

See you.

1 Like

Hello,

The episode 13 is out: stream replay

In this episode I improved the jump and implemented the fall. I also implemented the drop of multiple dynamites.

See you.

1 Like