Rogue GFX - a reskin of BluMax ASCII Rogue

(Stephane C) #1

Just thought it would be better to not hijack the original author thread for this mod. So for those interested here’s a more graphical version of the excellent Rogue game that @BlueMax created.

All credits goes to him for his hard work.

Rogue_GFX_Update2

(Josh Goebel) #2

How do you feel about making this just a compile flag and including both in the core game (if @BlueMax was game)?

(Stephane C) #3

If I was to do that I would need to make that mod cleaner. Right now I hacked my way in. Since some characters were used for more then 1 thing I had to use unused characters for some things that were used for multiple things for exemple the / was used for staff and also as a /. And I wasn’t smart doing my changes lol

On another note. It now compiles at 98%…

But I like your idea. I was initially aiming at doing like what @Pharap did with his Minesweeper and multiple language but in this case it would be multiple tileset.

(Josh Goebel) #4

Yeah this is much easier if it’s just a tileset swap, one to one mapping. If you try and do things like use a single symbol for multiple things (without just copying it in the font table) then that would get weird and a little more complex.

But if it’s just a tileset then one can imagine making it pretty easy to swap in and out (even multiple size fonts, though that gets more into the UI and stuff). I think right now there is still a large and small font version? Those codebases should probably honestly be consolidated if they can be.

(Jul) #5

Nice version! The hit led is just a bit too bright.

(Josh Goebel) #6

It’s supposed to hurt! :wink:

(Stephane C) #7

I noticed I broke something on the hall of fame screen and when we get the amulet of yendor, it’s name in the inventory keeps changing to potion colours lol. Will need to fix that soon.

(Stephane C) #8

Just made a new release matching the latest from @BlueMax v1.5.5.

Hall of Fame screen is now fixed, was just a typo I made while changing the pointer.
Attempted to add borders to the menus.

Please use the link in the first post to get the latest release. Enjoy.

Rogue_GFX_Update2

(Stephane C) #9

Finally added real borders for the status screen and when the pop-up windows is displayed when we use an item.

Release is in the first post above.

Rogue_GFX_Update3